Hema training opportunity.

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Kframe, Apr 14, 2015.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Hey guys. Im super stoked! I have been fussing and fretting over trying to find a way to train in weapons of some kind with out having to travel an hour or more to do it.

Well that opportunity just came knocking and I cant be happier! A Capoferro study group is about to start in my town. They will be exploring and delving deep into the study of the manuscript.

Now its rapier, and focus's on using it with a dagger and or a buckler and other things. I have preference for 2 handed swords over rapier but I love it as well, and had a ton of fun in the fencing club in college.

Their is also the possibility of studying Leichtenauer at a later date.

My level of excitement could not possibly be any higher.

2. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Thats cool! Pictures/videos please. Dont they mention it in famous sword fight in "The princess bride?"

Inigo says something to the effect of 'you probably expect me to use Capoferro'

or is my memory COMPLETELY wrong?

3. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Naturally, but I find that Thibault cancels out Capoferro, don't you?

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Unlessa your opponent hasa studeed hees Agreepa! Which I have! :D

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Not if you've studied your Agrippa, which I have.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

We are all far too predictable...

7. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

hahaha awesome so i did remember it right! But seriously, post pics of your training group if allowed!

8. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Inconceivable!

9. blindside

blindside Valued Member

You know, you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

(I... I just can't help myself.)

10. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I posted videos from the Princess Bride in the Ninjutsu forum... not even a thank you or a smiley. :cry:

11. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Thanks i have my first practice this sunday. I dont know if ill beable to get pictures just yet but ill have some eventually.

The princess bride is that zorro looking guy right?

12. blindside

blindside Valued Member

Ninjas don't have a sense of humor or taste in quality movies.

13. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I'm pretty certain that it is in the bylaws somewhere that you aren't allowed to study swordplay without being familiar with The Princess Bride. You should remedy this before your first session.

14. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Capoferro is awesome. Rapier is super fun. If you did epee, you're set already, except the lunge is more conservative IMO.

Liechtenauer is sublime. Do not forget to supplement him with Leckuchner, so you can perform all Liechtenauer's art with a single-handed sword.

Best of luck with your training, future Dread Pirate Roberts. :)

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

DUDE! Stop everything you are doing and go get a copy of this film and watch it immediately!

If this scene, IMO the greatest sword scene in any movie ever, does not convince you, you are beyond all redemption!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7zvffHu_wo

16. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

What area does Liechtenauer cover? Studying him involves studying talhofer and Ringec right as the Dobringer text is criptic poems. Looking at Ringec and Talhofer they both have daggers and other things.

Do none of them do one handed swords?

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Langenschwert. I just watched some Leckuchner messer videos and they were cool. Now can you school me on the messer? I know its a one handed cut and thrust, with emphasis on cut. Im assuming one edge or is their 2 edges?

Is it like a arming sword or other similar one handed dual edged cut and thrust?

18. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Hi,

Liechtenauer's verses were "glossed" i.e. explained by later masters in his tradtion, some apparently direct students of Liechtenauer or close to it. Liechtenauer covered a variety of disciplines, the longsword chief among them. Ringeck was one such master who wrote glossa on the verses. The so-called "Dobringer" manuscript was the first. Those masters were called "The Society of Liechtenauer".

Liechtenauer's teachings on the longsword were later adapted to the use of the messer, a single-handed sword, though "Dobringer" says that longsword techniques originally came from the messer in the first place! Certainly the terminology does. This full-circle was culminated in the manual of Johannes Leckuchner (a priest) who wrote his manual in 1482, about 100 years after Liechtenauer.

Andreas Lignitzer was a member of the society who penned a short manual on sword and buckler, which is also in Ringeck's manual, so between Lignitzer and Leckuchner, you have enough to keep you going on single handed sword for literally the rest of your life. Leckuchner's manual is simply massive.

The Liechtenauer style of fighting was conceived as a coherent system that applied all weapons and unarmed combat. The same principles applied to all, even if the techniques had variations.

19. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

There are more types of messer than you can shake a stick at. They have one or two edges, with the back edge (if it has one) being only partial, say about a hand's length or so. The defining characteristic of the messer as opposed to the falchion is that a messer has a knife hilt with a crossguard and a side guard called a "nagel" (nail), whereas the falchion has a sword hilt with a normal crossguard without a nail. I would say there's an emphasis on the cut, bit there is a lot of thrusting used as well.

20. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Is there a place to get a english copy of Lignitzer and Leckuchner manuals? You mention Ringeck for Lignitzer. I want to start adding things to my collection.

Cant wait for sunday..