Help

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gemtkd, May 7, 2007.

1. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

As some of you are already aware, I had a baby by c section 5 weeks ago. I'm looking for advice on toning up post op stomach and also to tone up my skin.

Thanks
    Gem :)

2. Celeste

Celeste New Member

I know this has nothing to do with your question, but, Congratulations on having a baby!!! Even though it was 5 weeks ago. XD

3. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

C-section is major abdominal surgery, there's a lot of muscle trauma involved. Do you have the ok from your doc or did he talk to you about when you can resume exercising?

4. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Thanks Celeste!

haven't asked doc but in hospital they said about 6 weeks until I can do anything.

5. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I started back training about 2 weeks ago. Any advice on how to strengthen my stomach up??

6. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

Like Wrydolphin said it's major abdominal surgery. I'd advise waiting for however long your Doctor said plus more for any kind of heavy Abdominal workout. Your Ab's and core might feel fine but it doesnt necessarily mean they're perfectly healed.

7. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Start slowly, don't push, don't neglect your back muscles and if there is a sharp pain, for the love of God stop. Have you talked to a doc since the C-section?

8. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

If I was a women who'd had a C done then I'd seriously NOT do any excercise untill I've got an all clear by the doctor.

9. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I did speak to the doc, she says take it easy and keep kicks low setion. Thats al she said. I don't want to go all hardcore, I just want to begin the long process of getting some muscles back. Just really light stomach work then move on from there.

10. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Take it slow Gem. Do some slow crunches not fast or trying to do 60 in under 30 seconds. Try doing some leg holds. Just lean back slightly and raise your feet off the floor a few inches and hold for a 10 count. Do about 3 sets of ten or until it feels uncomfortable. If the C-section was about where your pants fall, you will feel it when you do leg elevations or leg lifts. Pay real close attention to those type of exercises now that you are trying to get back into it.

Remember also that you will have an easier time getting back into shape then someone that has never worked out. You will be sore but make sure it is only muscle soreness and not aggravating your surgery. Again, go slow and let listen to your body. You will know what is pain and what is too much!

Welcome Back Momma! :D

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Hi there Gem ;)

Actually it is perfectly fine to begin isometric ab contractions as soon as the baby is born.

Also, it does help, believe it or not, jut to hold in that stomach *all the time* - that's a great ab strengthener!

When your baby is at least 4 weeks old, you can begin doing the more traditional ab strengthening exercises. But first check with your doc to make sure you don't have any separation of the main abdominal muscle that runs vertically down your middle. Check out the link at the end of my post on how to determine that on your own.

Now assuming everything's okay there, start with modified crunches.

Lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor; place one hand behind each ear with elbows pointing out to the sides and chin lifted toward the ceiling; tilt your pelvis slightly so that your lower back is pressing into the floor; take a deep breath in, and, as you exhale, lift your head off the floor, tightening your abs and pulling your belly button in toward your spine; inhale as you lower your head.

Start with 8-12 reps. Gradually increase the number of repetitions to 3 sets of 12. As you feel stronger, make the exercise more challenging by lifting your head and your shoulder blades off the floor with each repetition. You should visualize scooping out your abdomen as you tighten the muscles.

To target the lower part of the abdomen, lie on your back with knees bent and feet lifted off the floor so that your shins are parallel to the floor (this is your starting position) Place one hand behind each ear with elbows pointing out to the sides and chin lifted toward the ceiling; tilt your pelvis slightly so that your lower back is pressing into the floor; take a deep breath in, and, as you exhale, lift your hips slightly off the floor, tightening the muscles in the lower part of your abs (make sure to use your tummy muscles and not your butt muscles!); inhale as you return to the starting position. Start with 8-12 reps. Gradually increase the number of reps to 3 sets of 12. As you feel stronger, increase the difficulty by lifting your head and shoulders off the floor at the same time you lift your hips.

To target the waistline and really flatten the tummy, you'll need to work your obliques: lie on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the floor; place one hand behind each ear with elbows pointing out to the sides and chin lifted toward the ceiling; tilt your pelvis slightly so that your lower back is pressing into the floor; take a deep breath in, and, as you exhale, lift your right shoulder blade diagonally toward your left knee (visualize peeling your shoulder blade off the floor toward the opposite knee); inhale as your return to the starting position; repeat on the other side. Start with 8-12 reps. Gradually increase the number of reps to 3 sets of 12.

These exercises should get you started!

Here is a good link for you to check out as well

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2PregnancyAbs.asp

12. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

Cheers KC thats really helpful. I'll get right on to it!!