Help with work-out words

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Peter.san, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Peter.san

Peter.san New Member

Hello everyone, I was surfing around the web, trying to figure out how to get a stronger body, and I found some exercises which I don't know, or at least isn't sure about, and I'd like to know how they look. So please, if anyone would describe how you do them, I would be very very grateful, since my english isn't that good. Here goes:

Arms:
    Regular push-ups
    Handstand push-ups
    Tricep push-ups
    Chin-ups
    Bar dips

Body:
    Pull-ups (for the chest)
    Sit-ups (for the stomach)
    Pull-ups and bar dips (for the back)

Legs:
    One- and two-leg squats

Acrobatics:
    Cartwheels
    Font and back handsprings
    Back flips and front flips
    Aerials
    Laybacks and back laybacks

Please help =)

2. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

Ok, here goes:

Push-ups: You lie face down on the floor, and raise yourself up using your arms. Done right, you should be supported by two arms at shoulder-width, and the balls of your feet. This is the starting position. You then lower yourself by bending your arms at the elbow, with your elbows pointed out and away from you.

Handstand push-ups: These are really, really hard. You do a handstand against a wall, then lower yourself in the same manner as a push-up by bending at the elbows. Then you raise yourself back up.

Triceps push-up: Same as a regular push up except that your elbows are closer to your body.

Chin-up: Grab a bar that's over your head with an overhand grip. Pull yourself up till your chin meets the bar.

Bar dip: The easiest way to do this is to find a sturdy bench or even the lowest step on a staircase is fine. Sit with your back to the bench or step, with your hands on it. Keep your legs straight out in front of you as you bend your arms at the elbows. Go far enough that your upper arms are parallel to the ground, then come back up.

Pull-up: Same as the chin up except you use an underhand grip, and try to pull yourself up higher than the bar.

Sit-up: Lie flat on your back with your knees slightly bent. Keeping your chin pointed to the ceiling, pull yourself up with your gut.

Squat: The basic motion is one that mimicks sitting down on an imaginary chair. This can be done with or without weights, and should only be done about twice a week to start. With weights, this is a VERY hard exercise for beginners to perform to the full extent (with your thighs paralell to the floor), but the range of motion is much more important than the weight you lift. The one-legged squat shouldn't be performed until you can squat twice your body weight with two legs because it is VERY hard to do fully as well.

I can't comment on the gymnastics, though you can PM Tika about it..I think she does or did that sort of thing.

3. Sever

Sever Valued Member

4. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  5. Peter.san

Peter.san New Member

Wow, thanks everyone! =D

d33pthought -> i'm afraid I didn't understand the bar-dip.. but thanks!

6. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

No problem. The bar dip is a hard one to describe, but it's a really simple movement.