Help with nunchakus!!

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Garma, Jul 16, 2003.

1. nunchaku8587

nunchaku8587 Valued Member

yeah, you could start with the real ones, but it's alot easier to get hurt if you dont have proper training and aren't careful. gojuman is right, nunchakus aren't toys, so why risk hurting yourself when you're just starting?

2. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

Yes, you should use the foam chucks when you first start out. Always remember to practice w/ BOTH hands. That is very important. Practicing w/ both hands will increase your ambidexterity (skill in both hands).

Once you have got a feel of the spinning and swinging motion of the chucks, switch to real ones. Try to switch pretty quickly, so that you can get used to the real ones. It's always better to practice w/ real ones.

When you practice w/ one, do different motions in BOTH hands:

1) Figure-eights -- up AND down

2) Spin the chucks in front of you clockwise

3) Spin them in front of you counterclockwise

4) Spin them on either side of you -- clockwise and counterclockwise

5) Spin them w/ your right hand on your left side both ways and vice versa -- spin them w/ your arm across in front of your stomach and behind your back

6) Spin them above your head like a lasso -- both ways

The above seven are what you should begin with. They will improve your control and wrist movement. Start slowly and then work up your speed. It will take some time, so don't rush yourself.

Repetition is the key to success in everything you do. Keep on repeating these motions and you'll build your speed and control pretty quickly.

To answer your question about films and books, I know for sure that books won't help, but there is a series of videos that I've heard about. There's a man who makes videos that are supposed to train you in nunchuks. He's supposed to be really good. I've heard a lot of good things about him. I can't remeber his name right now, but I'll get it to you soon.

If you have any other questions or if you want some more instruction once you've mastered these motions just PM me.

3. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Which is exactly why a complete beginner should start with foam.

The foam nunchaku are not made completely of foam, they have a solid bar in the center. They are just covered in foam to reduce impact.

4. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Not exactly.

They were first used as a farming tool, until some sort of invasion somewhere, and then started to be used a weapon.

I have not heard of them being used purely to capture weapons... But as an impact weapon.

If used corectly they can smash a face/skull open and kill in one blow. The power they have within one motion is amazing, and scary.

Many people don't realise just how dangerous they are when used correctly by an expert (or incorrectly in the case of self damage).

5. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Start young with proper heavy (Mahogany) Chucks.

[​IMG]

My daughter aged two. :D

6. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

lol..
    ...I feel showed up now.

*goes to find 14* stainless steel set to start with*

7. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

ohhhh Andy she looks just like you without the horns and red skin

strong will in those eyes Andy dont dominate it teach her everything you can but make her think and come to her own conclusions and i bet by 12 she will be kicking your butt:)

8. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

She's set her sights on kicking your butt next year Tai Gip ;) LOL

You're right about the will though.

It's a wonder I wasn't drowned at birth.

9. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

NEXT YEAR ???hmmm maybee Andy maybee dont give her limits tell her she can do things others cant and because she dosnt know she cant she will then you can learn from her

my view on children is that they are like putty they can be anything the shame of it is parents often place the limitations they have for there own lives onto the children limiting them..sometimes not even realizing it..... teach them they can do and achieve anything and they can

the most joy i had from the ma was teaching kids show them a kick bang they do it and sometimes better than you there the kids to watch... try the same with adults and they are telling themselves they cant do that and arnt sure how to get near that

i love kids and animals :) they dont fear you if you dont fear them mcuh more relaxed and relaxing companionship than adults

actualy i love pretty much everything and everyone i just get on better with kids and animals we just have an unspoken bond

Last edited: Nov 12, 2003
  10. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

they look the same as my chucks, nice & heavy.... :D

11. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I love teaching the kids, their speed of improvement is incredible when they really try hard!

:love:

12. SSJ1_Katrina

SSJ1_Katrina Tea drinker extraordinair

they were used in farming?
    how?
    what is the history to this weapon then- you can't just say that and finnish!
    i want to know more! :D

Please?

13. johndoch

johndoch upurs

I hate watching some folk with the chucks. Especially the twirl merchants.

I think some people forget that they are a weapon and IMO should be trained as such. Whats the point of twirling the stick into different stances and grips if you cant knock throw them full power at full speed with the intention to actually hit something.

14. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Hi Katrina.

They were orginally used in Rice fields by the people of Okinawa. They were used to brush rice stalks to garther the grains in the fields. The rice grains would fall off the stalk for collection after the the Nunchaku had brushed or swung along the stalks.

When Japan invaded Okinawa, they confiscated all the weapons. So then the people of Okinawa had to make do with what they had, ie. farming tools. One of which was the very effective Nunchaku.

They learnt to use the Nunchaku as a weapon, as it is being used today.

15. SSJ1_Katrina

SSJ1_Katrina Tea drinker extraordinair

hey Ving Tsun,
    thanks for that info, i find the history of the weapons really interesting, much appreciated. :)
    -Katrina

16. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

No worries.

I soooo wish we could get them here. It's a Stupid law. People are able to get a hold on guns but yet no-one can get a set of Nunchaku...

Might make my own one day. :(

17. peacfulwarrior

peacfulwarrior New Member

The real deal

I agree about using the real deal. When I first strarted training with nunchakus I played around with a rubber pair that a friend of mine had just swinging em around not knowing anything about how to swirl. I bought a pair of wooden chuks and started slowly building speed with practice and became good at it. So I say used wood and start slow.

18. Bobtob

Bobtob New Member

I completely agree. If i wouldn't have started out with a foam pair i wouldv'e killed myself 100 times over. The foam pair will help you learn the basics safely.

19. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

i started using foam nunchakus a year ago for 2 reasons: so i didnt hurt myself and because my sensei told me to. i progressed onto the heavy metal and rubber nunchakus i have now and train with them all the time. i try and use these as fast as i can so when i go in competitions and demos and use a pair of wooden nunchaku, my speed is incredible. my advice is: use foam nunchaku when you are first starting out to build up your confidence and speed as they dont hurt anywhere near as much as the others i use (ouch), then when your sensei thinks that you are good enough, get some wooden or metal ones.

20. Cloud-uk

Cloud-uk New Member

Mmmm, I started with wooden ones. I didn't have any problems, hit myself a few times, hurt a bit, but it hardly bruised. For me getting the foam ones would have been a waste of money. Still, its all down to you really, you can go on about how they're a weapon and you need to be careful - a very valid point- and if thats how YOU think get a foam pair first. I just happen to put my cash reserves in front of my safety...heh heh, not really, but I just didn't feel that the risk was too great.

Just do what you want, it'll hardly bankrupt you me's thinks.