Help with hooks/upper cuts.

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by yes, Mar 29, 2004.

1. yes

yes Banned Banned

Ok, so my jab and cross is fairly hard and I can throw that without tiring. But, as soon as I add hooks and uppercuts into the equation my arms tire quickly..

I'm thinking I may be too tense too early into the throwing of the hook and the jab? Should I be tightining up on impact at the end like with my jab and cross?

I think the upper cut is the main problem. Body mechanics maybe if I am using my arms too much and tiring them out? What is the key to throwing HARD hooks and upper cuts without tiring after a few rounds on the pads?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2004
  2. yes

yes Banned Banned

No one can help?

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Best thing would be to get someone to spot for you.

There's very little arm movement in a classical uppercut, so your arms should be the last thing to tire.

Sounds to me like you need a good coach.

4. warren

warren Valued Member

when throwing an upper cut you drop at the knee's now as you straighten the knee's extend your fist upwards to the target,by executing the punch this way your no longer using just arm strength.
    when throwing a hook step in and use the hips to give the power rather than the arms.

5. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Yes, you are using you arms too much.

Hooks and uppercuts rely on hip and waist twists. Your arms don't usually move that far because of the nature of hooks and uppercuts. You use these punches when in-fighting.

I think you are misjudging the distance where you are effective in using your techniques. You may be using hooks in a distance where you are better off with a cross.

6. yes

yes Banned Banned

thanks, guys

7. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

It's got next to nothing to do with your arms, the punches are thrown with the legs.

Here is a simple drill, try throwing those punches without moving your arms at all, in order to force the legs and hips into it.

8. yes

yes Banned Banned

nice one, Andy! thanks!!! :)

9. C-Fugazi

C-Fugazi New Member

It sounds as if your using your arms to incorperate power into your punches. :eek:

When you throw a left hook try and apply these rules.

1.Keep your knees bent.
    2.Pivot your front foot on the ball.
    3.Drive your hips around quickly.
    4.Shift the weight from the front leg to the back leg during the punch.
    5.Make your arm and shoulder move together.
    6.Keep your elbow behind the punch.
    7.Keep your opposite hand pinned to your head.
    8.Keep your chin tucked.
    9.Keep your balance.

When you throw an uppercut

1.Stoop down for power and explosiveness,and balance upon uppercuts.
    2.Turn palm towards your face when throwing.
    3.Keep your gloves on your cheek or chin - dont dip the gloves for leverage.
    4.Explode the legs upwards to put power on the punch.
    5.Make your arms .legs and shoulders move together.

Never use your arms for the power.Always use your foot,knee,hips shoulders and arm (together) for power for your hooks.
    Keep that arm moved in an arc shape (almost as if your grabbing a friend around the neck)

It takes a lot of practice and a good coach to teach you how to hook and uppercut properly.

Good Luck with it. :)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2004
  10. yes

yes Banned Banned

cheers, man! picked up a few points there :)