Help With Fans

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by MasterDunchok, May 8, 2010.

1. MasterDunchok

MasterDunchok Valued Member

Whenever I see Bu Chae Sool done on Youtube clips, it's always with these very light, snappy, feathered fans that open and close instantly. These fans are bigger than the usual ones. There are little frills on the ends that the demonstrators whip across their ukes noses. It makes the whole set look better.

But all I can ever find, and all I have ever trained with, are the standard, heavy, awesomely-noisy-when-they-open-but-hard-to-close-quickly metal fans.

Where do you guys get those cool fans?

2. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

3. MasterDunchok

Perfect. That's the ticket. Thanks!

4. MasterDunchok

The AWMA ones are too short for their weight. It has to be the Koreana ones.

Anyone know where or how to get 17" + korean style fans like the Koreana ones, but say, without flowers?

5. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

6. hwarang cl

hwarang cl The Evil Twin

I made my own, wasn't that hard to do, hardest part was finding the right material for the insert, bc all the ones Ive seen always fray, thats y they glue the feathers at the end, in an effort to keep everything together. Also what most kuksooler's use as fans are made for dancing , not beating.

7. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Exactly! That's why they're often decorated with a flower motif. And although he wouldn't be considered your *average* kuksooler, master IN JOO SUH has a really nice pair that would not only keep you cool on a hot day, but would be perfect for inflicting a little pain should someone be deserving of a beating. :evil:

8. Omicron

Omicron is around.

My fans don't usually give me trouble as long as I sign lots of autographs and give lots of photo ops.

/attempted humour

9. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

10. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Hi All,

Just as a matter of interest, since I am at least 2 belt levels below where I need to woory about fn techniques etc, what types of fans were used as "weapons" originally? Where they the "danving fans" with the feathers and flowers etc, or where they more like the Paper and bamboo type fans that many of the sites highlighted on this thread show?

Also as a matter of interest, what were the inserts made from? Bamboo? Wood? Metal?

Also what was the fan made of, eg feathers, silk, paper?

Just thingking of the practicalites of hitting somebody with a fan really and therefore the practicallity of having a "weapon" that would be more or less useless after having broken it over some numpty's head.

Cheers All,

Quozl

11. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Quozl

I think the fans that are used today for dance are similar to the ones used for defense... bamboo and some type of cloth. The feathers were used to hide metal blades inserted in the ribs sometimes laced with poison. The bamboo is very strong and can be used on pressure point strikes which is how it is practiced today in Kuk Sool. They can be used to disorient your opponent as well by opening them in front off their eyes so they cannot see what is coming next. Easy to conceal and deceptive in appearance the fan is a good example of the resourcefulness of early MAist.

Regards

12. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Many thanks for your reply Obewan.

Much appreciated.

13. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

Remember that Pak Dahl timber (= Korean Birch) thread of some months ago?
    While checking info for that I found a couple of references that said that the Korean defensive fans were specifically made of that wood, NOT bamboo.
    The Pak Dahl would be much stronger than bamboo.

I diddn't keep a note of the webpages, so I'd have to do a lot of digging to try and find them again.
    The relevant thread is here
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91154&highlight=betula

14. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

15. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Thanks Demdike,

And a huge big DOH!!!

I was looking at that thread you posted and I had posted the following link wrt Korean Fans there. It must be the rearly onset Altzheimers! LOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Fan/Mu_Puche

Oh well.

"That'll learn me" as they say in Scouseland.

16. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

I thought all Scots blamed it on the Buckfast tonic!

17. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

18. Bahng Uh Ki

Bahng Uh Ki Valued Member

Sometimes, it all depends on how tightly the ribs of the fan are held together. Ten bucks each doesn't seem like much.

19. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

They might, but I am an Irish Scouser, and having triied the Bucky it is pish! lol

20. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

for one single fan?