[help] Poomse learning

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by eRoten, Oct 28, 2009.

1. eRoten

eRoten Valued Member

Recently I've started Taekwondo.
    I've learned the first poomse from friend of mine (blue belt, twice champion of Israel) and I think I know her well in-off for getting stated with 2.

Now, I saw the youtube video - and it's very uncomputable.
    I succeeded to learn only 3 - 4 combinations of the poomse - and that also after hoers of staring at the spoken video.

Does anyone here got another way to learn the poomse? and by another way I mean a good text guide, or a step-but-step video.

thx guys :love:

2. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

You mention you've recently started taekwondo; has your instructor not at least begun the first form? Certainly you'll have an easier time understanding the footwork pattern and basic strike sequences by then.

You did not state what the forms are. Which are they? You might have an easier time finding resources if you know what you are looking to find.

3. TaeKwonNoob

TaeKwonNoob Valued Member

You may be talking about this guy and his demonstrations, but frankly its pretty straight forward and helped me plenty when I forgot a form. Heres form 1 and 2:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIUjqI3W31g"]YouTube - taekwondo poomse 1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MZYnRJ0Eo4"]YouTube - taekwondo poomse 2[/ame]

Just play a few seconds of it, notice what hand is blocking or punching and be sure you have the correct foot leading etc. Memorize those few seconds and get them down, then move on to the next few seconds and do the same. Then piece it all together in one go. Pretty straight forward IMHO.

4. eRoten

eRoten Valued Member

Yeah.. I was talking about those vids :)
    Are you sure that there are no any text directions for this? (something like: turn left in diffence (short step) -> make a short step and a punch to the left -> turn right in diffence... you get the point)

5. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I like these videos way better than the official ones. He goes through the poomsae multiple times, with different camera angles each time. Video quality is also better.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqOaa7sCF1k"]YouTube - taeguk 1[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z4Xyag8xy8"]YouTube - taeguk 2[/ame]

Text listings of each technique can also be found at these sites:
    http://www.dojang.com/course/toc.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taeguk_(Taekwondo)

6. TaeKwonNoob

Really, if you have "officially" started TKD, you go to a class daily and are taught from an instructor, he should be teaching you these and critiquing your progress. And you would use these in case you forgot a step. An instructor is the only way to really get you going to make sure your feet are pointed in the right direction, and when your doing the walking stance your back leg is straight and not bent, for example.

As for text and/or diagrams, theres probably hundreds of sites that show/explain forms. But personally, the videos can show the correct motion from one step to another; such as what your hands and feet are doing in the process of moving from the left punch to the right block, etc. I dont think diagrams would be able to show that as well.

7. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

You may not want to hear it but the ONLY answer is your TEACHER.

sorry, but ask him, trust him and work on what he or she says to. Trust me it get you far.

Dave O.

8. TaeKwonNoob

For sure, they even have a section where they do a certain step twice and in slow motion. And the little animation in the corner where it shows the grid helps too. Once you understand the grid, the forms are not nearly as confusing. These should definitely help ya

9. eRoten

eRoten Valued Member

lol, Guys - I going to a Taekwondo twice a weak.
    It's spread into two parts:
    - Combat practice (Sunday)
    - Tech practice (Wednesday) (usually all the three: ANBO, OSHINTSU, POOMSE)

They do teaching we great, and I'm very pleased from the class - but I need something - anything - that even slightly close to a real teacher while I'm practicing at home.

Mitlov - thx you for the vids and the websites :)

10. dortiz

dortiz Valued Member

Post #3 notice the punch in move #6 is to the body in the first Vid and the face in the second. Thats why you want to learn the way your teacher wants it. We can argue all day long about Kukkiwon vs WTF but your experience will be a daily one with your school.

11. eRoten

eRoten Valued Member

I've asked my teacher what were learning - and he answer: "A developed version of Taegeuk" (but the poomse still regular Taegeuk)

12. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I absolutely agree. However, I also think that videos or diagrams are incredibly useful, because that way, you're not wasting practice time with an instructor trying to memorize the sequence of movements. If you've got a reference at home, you can memorize the sequence of movement in a day or so on your own, and then all the time with the instructor is spent on learning to do it right (in terms of body mechanics, course of action, and understanding of application). No instructor-student time is wasted saying "which way do I turn next?"

13. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

eRoten, what you do is firstly remember that most poomse follow a capital I. So its something left, something right and up the middle yes.

Also to help me remember when i first learned them is (WTF)
    Call the first one "short" the second "short/long" and the third "short/long double"..
    This defines the first movements and therefore the poomse in your mind, you wont have to think about moves you are about to do.

"short" is the shorter stance you perform in the first lower block and step through punch (left), turn 180 repeat then up the middle with full forward stance lower block/reverse punch. and so on.

"short/long" is the second one where we turn left with short stance lower block and then step through to full length forward stance punch, turn 180 repeat then up the middle and so on.

"short/long double" is the third wtf pattern where we again turn left with short stance lower block and step through to full length forward stance and perform double punch turn 180 repeat and then up the middle etc

Hope you can get something out of what im saying, im not a very good writer at explaining myself lol, however, this worked for me :) Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  14. eRoten

eRoten Valued Member

Thx mate, that been very helpful but not what I was needed on that post.

I was talking more about the movies inside the poomse's itself, and the first combination is usually the easiest to remember.

But your tips been noted on my mind, so thx you anyway. :)

15. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Cool :)
    Learn the first one, the others just fall into place with a few different or extra moves. The first one will set the tune and the rest will fall into place.

Short and full length forward stance, back stance. Make them good and you wont ever have to check yourself there, then you can fully relax and concentrate on hand movements.

Which pattern are you most interested in? :)

16. eRoten

eRoten Valued Member

What do you mean by pattern? (pomse? moves?)

17. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Poomse, patterns, forms. All just means the poomse, Like Taeguek 1-8.
    I could describe a certain Taeguek poomse to you, maybe the 2nd or 3rd one.

18. eRoten

eRoten Valued Member

Oh. yeah lol - sorry for my miss-knowledge :) (I'm trying to learn as fast as I can thought)

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier in this topic, I'm doing Taekwondo class twice a week.
    Combat and Tech.
    At the tech I'm learning Taeguek 1 - 8, with the OSHINTU and the UNBO.
    At the combat I'm learning all kind of kicks, 'step' and so on...

And for my presonal favors - flying-kick, back-kick combine with regular kick... and I haven't learn to much yet - so that what I can tell you that I really love.
    (despite the obvise that I love it all)

19. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Taeguek 2.

Lets section it off into parts.

Part 1.
    Step left with short forward stance left foot and perform lower block left hand.
    Step through to full forward stance with right foot and perform right hand punch.
    Turn 180 clockwise and repeat starting with right foot frward this time.

Part 2.
    Step to short stance coming forward with inner block left foot forward right hand
    step through with right foot/left hand same

Part 3.
    Turn left with left foot short stance perform lower block left hand
    right foot high front kick stepping down with right leg to forward stance and right hand punch.
    Turn 180 clockwise and repeat starting with right foot forward etc

So you started off facing North lets say. You then went west and then east part 1,
    Then continued north part 2 and west then east again in part 3.

Part 4.
    Heading north again its: Short stance left foot forward upper block left hand
    Step through right foot right hand same

Part 5.
    Heres where we turn around to come back.
    From the last position (right hand upper block right foot forward short stance) We turn 270 degrees anti clockwise and perform back stance left foot forward and right hand inner block.
    Swivel on your feet to face right with a left hand inner block

Part 6.
    Now your coming back south to starting position with (all short forward stance) left foot forward left hand lower block - right high front kick stepping down right hand punch, left foot high front kick then left punch, right foot high front kick then right hand punch with a shout.

Good luck :)

20. eRoten

eRoten Valued Member

thx man!!! :D
    wow, exactly what I needed.