HELP :New Trick for Bo Staff Demo

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by KSN_Princess, Aug 12, 2011.

1. KSN_Princess

KSN_Princess Kuk Sool Won Princess

u guys are just plan mean & rude!!!!!

2. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Who taught you how to do your first staff staff demo?

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

if you know how to do tricks with your staff staff, and we strangers have no idea what you are capable of (trained for) then the point of asking would be?

i could probably post a video of the advance theatrical forms of the monkey king's acrobatic kun sequence from journey to the west. but most people who perform this have been training in the beijing opera since they were 3 years old.

you post in a weapons forum where people take weapons seriously. we don't view weapons as tools for entertainment. we view weapons as weapons.

and after repeated attempts at trying to correct your terminology (i.e. bo is japanese for staff. saying bo staff is saying staff staff) we'd hope that you would actually pay that weapon some respect.

if anything don't you think you were being disrespectful?

at any rate i apologize.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  4. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

I opened this thread thinking, "Ugh", but you have all pleasantly surprised me.

5. shootodog

shootodog restless native

and to be fair to me, i did post a bo demo video that i suggested you can do.

6. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

You have to realise that to a lot of people, weapons (especially if the weapon art is not a formal study) are just extensions of their current arts...

...and if their current arts contain more flash than fight, then their weapons use will be more of the same. Spins, kicks, flips and other such clown shoes. To each their own I guess.

7. Kurai Unkai

Kurai Unkai Valued Member

I apologize for the reception you were given here. Supposedly we respect anyone who is up front about their intentions and honest about their background, but sometimes words are just words...

Anyhow...I don't personally know any especially flamboyant tricks to do with a staff, but I've got a couple of suggestions for you. If your instructor has run out of tricks to teach you, and you have his/her blessing to do so, you might want to try searching for an XMA or Wushu school in your area. Both of these styles are heavily performance-based, and will probably have a lot for you to learn.

When you contact them, just be clear and honest about what you are wanting to learn and why you are wanting to learn it. They may ask you to sign something stating that you will not teach anything they show you or that you not advertise yourself as a representative of your school, or they may turn you away. Just keep asking and eventually you'll be pointed to the right place.

I haven't looked, but there may also be an XMA or Wushu forum on this website. If there is, you might find a more receptive and respectful audience for your question there.

Good luck with your search.