Help needed (left huck)!

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by jonno182, Mar 10, 2004.

1. jonno182

jonno182 New Member

Hi all great site,

I wondered if anyone can give any tips on how to make my left huck more effective ! I am quite new to Boxing, have done some Kickboxing, JKD, Karate and Judo, but the instructor says that my left huck is pant's and quite frankly I agree. I have a 3 foot bag and floor to celing ball to practice on. Any tips would be great.

Thanks,
    Jon. :woo:

2. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

What'd your instructor say was wrong with it?

The power doesn't come from your arm - it comes from your legs, hips, and back. Just whipping your fist around isn't going to work.

3. jonno182

jonno182 New Member

Thanks for the reply,

I know that the power comes from the hips, legs and back but what he said was that I was hucking close to my body, like a close huck, but he wanted me to do a long huck, I was trying for ages but I couldnt seem to get the huck effective when I was going long, I was missing the pad and landing them like a pansy! :(

cheers,
    Jon.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Try "crushing a cockroach" with the ball of your left foot. It should give you a better swivel (you turn the raised heel through 90 degrees as a rough guide - like squashing a bug)

5. jonno182

jonno182 New Member

Thanks for that Hannibal I will try that out.

Jon.

6. cioGium

cioGium New Member

Until you get a better form do not practice the hook at a bag it will only make things worse- work it up at a wall bag - stationary pillow!(forgive the english)
    Stay a little farther than usual and try to hit from there- i know that it sounds aukward but your arms are longer than you think! I think that we have a tendecy to keep the fist a little to close to the body than normal when hooking(of course if there isn't a close hook on purpouse). Try to hit with the arm paralel to the ground! If the elbow is higher than the fist all the power you generated will "slip" downwards. Try to punch or hit rather than follow-through, it is like sticking the bag fast with a neddle!
    Keep that right arm up while hooking and the chin tucked in!
    Always remember - it is about practice&repetition - keep hooking and eventually you will become better at it! ( does't this sound's familiar?)
    Remember what Hannibal sad : keep "crushing that cockroach" with the lead foot!
    I am working on the left hook as well! The teory is there but when it comes to practice!! :rolleyes:

7. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

You can start getting your "huck" better by spelling it properly :D

Just Pivot on the front like you would a reverse and keep your elbow up so they cant check you in the chin. Good luck ;)

8. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Hannibal's advice is ok. A strong left hook usually leaves your feet in a kind of hour-glass stance. Also, maybe you are insisting on keeping both of your feet FLAT ON THE GROUND. This should not happen in power punching.

9. jonno182

jonno182 New Member

Thanks guys for the advice I will be putting it into practice tonight!!

Thanks again,
    Jon. :woo:

10. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Be sure to let us know how it works out!