Help! Need to cut weight very quickly

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Southpaw535, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Atre

Atre Valued Member

Possibly. Define binge.

You don't want a big meal, complex carbs and protein are just not going to be giving you energy in the 20 minute window (what is your exact timescale here?) you have between weigh in and fight.

Get rehydrated (that means isotonic stuff not water) and get quick energy sources into your face. I've heard chat about warming the fluids to speed uptake but sounds like bull to me.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I was thinking a couple of salad sandwhiches or something. My timescale is weigh in literally a couple minutes before I fight. After that first one I should have enough time to get something down my neck before I'm back on if I win.

3. Microlamia

Microlamia Banned Banned

Yeah, you don't have time to eat a meal in a couple of minutes. You'll probably throw up. Just have a hit of sugar.

4. Southpaw535

Yeah I'd just hydrate a bit before that fight but if I win and advance I have enough time before the next one to eat

5. righty

righty Valued Member

How serious is the comp. Some organisers can be understanding in changing your weight division. Also despite the fact that you officially weigh in minutes before stepping on the mat, arrive earlier and step on the scales to see your weight (organisers should let you do this). So this gives you an indication how your weight in going on their scales at least an hour (try for more) before you fight. This means you have better leeway to rehydrate yourself if necessary and or go for a jog in a sweater in the meantime.

Also have a look at the rules regarding weigh-in. Most will give you a range and give extra weight consideration if you weight in with your gi (from memory mine have been 2-3Kgs). So that means if your gi weight less than that weight consideration it can actually be a better idea to weight in while wearing your gi rather than without it.

Oh, and get an enema.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  6. Southpaw535

The website seems pretty strict but then I guess its going to be. It'd the UK Premier Championships although it used to just be the Bristol Open, I think its a big deal locally/nationally but on the grnad scale it's minor. That said I ahve heard they're trying to get to international standards.

Gi's not optional. I can't find anything about leeway or considerations just says make weight with your gi on or go home.

Do I get a choice of flavours?

7. righty

righty Valued Member

Despite this it might be worth giving them a call now and see in person what they attitude is to it.

If they are saying that then they are far from international standards. Any weigh-in weight should technically be you fully nekkid. A gi is damn heavy when you take into account weight classes and how fine fighters tend to cut it. Do you have a link to the comp website?

You're doing it wrong.

8. Southpaw535

Will do tomorrow
    http://ukpremierbjj.com/index.php

I've heard of a few kinds :p

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

At the risk of repeating what you've already been told, you're a muppet for leaving it this late to check your weight! ;)

I wouldn't recommend eating sandwiches that close to a fight. Have a sports energy drink or get some energy gels and use one of those. They should give you a sugar boost to get through the competition. I've used them for all day kayak races when I haven't had time to eat between events. They're not ideal nutrition but should work for this occasion.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

They give you wings :Angel:

11. righty

righty Valued Member

Found one for you..
    http://www.qbjjl.org.au/?page_id=51

Quote that in your phone call and see what they say. On the comp site you linked to they said their weight divisions are quoted from the ifbjj site - but I can't find anything of the kind on the ifbjj site.

12. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

A sauna is a great way to shed weight quickly, but 4kg is pretty much impossible unless you are huge.
    Just suck it up and go in a higher weightclass. It sucks but not as much as cutting that much weight.
    DO NOT OVERDO IT

If you do a quick weight cut and then overload on sugar you will get the runs which turns out to be a BAD THING when you have to fight.

13. Moi

That's not Lefty. He's a tough task ahead of him.

14. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You need energy gels. Get yourself to a bike shops and ask them for energy gels. Neck a couple of them and a half pint of water after your weigh in and maybe your body will start absorbing the sugar before the fight.

But if you can change your weight class this late, do it, because you're going to be a mess.

15. Southpaw535

Well after spending a couple of hours between running down the park and doing some weird circuit thing here I remembered to check my email and the dude's changed me up a class. Luckily he wasn't writing the brackets until this morning.

So no crazy cut for me and investment in some scales in a minute along with a pretty big kick up the **** to not do this again :p

Thanks a lot for all the help though guys really appreciate it. I do love this site :D

16. Moi

Most importantly food. You can eat again!

17. Southpaw535

My mum hasn't got plates big enough :hat:

18. righty

righty Valued Member

Now go and eat some cookies!

19. Southpaw535

Maybe not my scales still put me a little bit over with my gi :p

I am impressed I've put on this much weight so quick though guess training most days pays off

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Was about to tell you to neck a load of aquaban and not eat till the comp but disaster has been averted.

good luck matey!