Help! Need to cut weight very quickly

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Southpaw535, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

yeah this is in "what not to do" because I'm going to be very foolish:

I've got my first bjj comp on Saturday and entered myself in the weight category I've been for over a year, weighed myself tonight and without my gi I'm 2kg over the limit. That gives me tommorrow to cut about 4kg.

Now I know that's a stupid and probably impossible idea but I am ****ed off with missing out on comps at the last minute and my club, particuarly our blue belt, has put a shedload of time ad effort into getting me ready for this. By all means tell me I'm a twit but I need some advice on how to go about this

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Dehydrate then rehydrate I think? Have you got Forrest Griffin's Got Fight? He has a chapter on it.

Mitch

3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Nothing 'till the weigh in. If you're not there by 4 hours before then start sweating. Skipping in a bin bag matie. Then eat like a (can't say it) and re-hydrate, nothing cold

4. Southpaw535

Yeah I'm going to dig it out tomorrow. The weigh in is just before the first fight, and sod's law my divisiono is first with my name at the top of the list, but if I win I'll have a chance before the next one to get some food and water down me so dehydrating seems the best choice. The big problem is I've never attempted to cut weight before I'm not sure if 4kg is a big deal or nigh on impossible.

5. Moi

I was going to give you so much stick but....

6. Southpaw535

Feel free :D
    I'll be more embarrassed if cutting 4 kilos is fairly easy

7. Moi

Salt in the water or coolaid

8. Atre

Atre Valued Member

4kgs = 4 litres of water = brutal loss (think of the volume)

I hope for your sake you were in need of a massive dump when you checked your weight.

This is a full on emergency cut, obviously don't eat ('tis extra weight sitting between your mouth and arsehole) and dehydrate like crazy close to weigh in if you're not there already.

Obviously, if you were FoD I'd just advise a haircut :p.

Just to check - the scales you tested yourself on are accurate right?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  9. Moi

You're going to feel weak on the day. Redbull?

10. Lorelei

Lorelei Valued Member

Could try colonic irrigation....... :eek:

11. Southpaw535

Tomorrow is going to suck :( Hopefully literally - it might help

I'm going to buy some scales tommorow to double check but even if they're not completely accurate my gi will add another couple kg on the day anyway.

Sent the organisers an email which included the words "I'm begging you" so I'll see if that works.

12. Moi

Try a chemist for scales but it's what shows on the organisers that count

13. Mitch

Strip for the weigh in, you shouldn't have to wear you gi. Poop, wee, do everything before the weight in. Don't eat or drink between now and then, spend the hours before skipping/running in a bin bag. Get some rehydration scahets from the chemist (dioralyte or similar) and neck them straight afterwards, plus water and some food.

Then spend the rest of the day repeating, "I won't leave it so late next time"

Mitch :)

14. Moi

That last line Mitch

15. Southpaw535

Yeah weigh-in is just before your first fight and with the gi on. Sachets are a great idea though mate

16. Southpaw535

I can't help being a tit I am young after all

17. Mitch

It must be an age thing. Every time I feel a tit I get slapped.

Mitch

18. Atre

Atre Valued Member

- Buying scales, seems a bit expensive if you ask me? Fair enough if you'll use them generally after tomorrow though. I'm really not sure how accurate cheapo scales are though.

- Mitch's advice is good, given the choice I'd (personally) add sport rehydration drinks and other intense sugar sources to your post-weigh in binge. They perk my energy levels up no end (possible placebo but who cares) and you'll need it with the no food beforehand!

Actual food will be satisfying but not actually get metabolised in time for your fight

- Buy loads of Helium balloons and hold them in your teeth/hands/anywhere for weigh in :p

19. Moi

I'm sorry about that but they're very sensitive at the moment x

20. Southpaw535

Nah only a couple quid and I could do with some laying about. Is there a risk of making myself more ill if I binge straight after?