Help! Need a new class around Ferndown area

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by RagingDelirium, Feb 21, 2012.

1. RagingDelirium

RagingDelirium Valued Member

Help! Need a new class around Ferndown (dorset/hampshire) area

so i had to drop my TKD classes just over a year ago due to my divorce and stuff.
    I have now moved to the Ferndown, dorset area
    and need to start up again

firstly i really dont want to do TKD again for a while as to be honest i sort of became dischanted with it.

So, ideally i would love a Hapkido class (but there likes hens teeth)
    so a traditional striking class of JiuJitsu (non-brazil) or decent Karate classes or similar that includes a good emphasis grabs/grapples and includes kicks below the waist line

im not a MMA'r, firstly im too light and too old (41) to have the patience to train with current 20+ MMA meatheads (no offence to many of my own MMA mates, but i prefer primarily stand up striking).

Could I PLEASE have some recommendations :heart:;
    I have been emailing & txt etc. clubs for the last couple of weekends with no joy (i have honestly had 1 response, to tell me that they currently arent holding classes, but they'd get back to me when they did)

(also if anybody cares to PM me which clubs to avoid in the area, that would be appreciated as well)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. RagingDelirium

i really am living in the armpit of no where aren't I?
    really 75views and replies

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2012
  3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Is there no Judo near you?

And yes, you are living in the **** end of nowehere ;) :D

Mitch

4. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

One of the members here, Southpaw, is south coast UK, I think Portsmouth or Southampton. They have written extensively about clubs in their near vicinity, so might be a good starting point.

Or you might be too **** end of nowhere away! (Sorry I don't know the area)

5. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

How far are you willing to travel? There are some good clubs both Karate and Jujitsu around both the Poole and Bournemouth areas.....my knowledge doesn't extend out to Ferndown I'm afraid!

6. RagingDelirium

@ Sam
    Im figuring its gonna have to be Poole or Bournemouth by the looks of it

@Martial Novice
    I'll drop SouthPaw a PM, the problem is gonna be that im just far enough west to make getting across to Southampton impractical due to work times

@Mitch
    I know! & like i said im now up to 2 replies from clubs, both of which have advised they currently dont have classes in the area, but they will get back to me as soon as they do
    I amazed at how many clubs seem to have gone under around here

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I know what you said but there's TKD nearby and if the website is up to date then you'll get some of the best sparring tuition available. :)

Linky

Mitch

8. Sam

Sam Absent-ish member

More food for thought.

http://www.pooleju-jitsu.com/ - Trained here briefly, awesome club

http://www.bulldognetwork.co.uk/ - I know you said no MMA but Bulldog is again very good

http://www.freestylecombatkarate.co.uk/ - Colin produces some fantastic competition Karateka - him and his instructors having fought for England alongside my previous Instructors

http://www.mkguk.co.uk/the-team/

Although there isn't a website there is my old Karate Club who run Wado Ryu out of Carter Community Sports College in Hamworthy at 7:30 on a monday and 8pm on a Thursday.

Thats just a few I know of. Let me know how you get on because there are more but it's way past my bedtime.

Happy hunting!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

A lot of mma clubs will have dedicated muay thai lessons.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter