Help me get ripped in a suitable way for WRESTLING & MMA

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Henchman, Jan 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Henchman

Henchman New Member

Hey,
    I'm not too sure whether this should have gone in another section of the forum. If so, I apologize.

I really want to get ripped. I'm willing to work hard at it and I have recently gone on a slim fast diet. I am 16 years of age and I want to take wrestling to an Olympic standard within MMA.

I know I can do it, however, I want to know a suitable hardcore-beginner workout for someone who is a bit on the large side.

I weigh about 16 stone and I am 5'10. I like to lift weights and the max I can do on a treadmill is 7 mins. I want to be a welterweight and be more skilled than even GSP one day.

However, I need a team. Now given my team IRL is all at one gym and I am only 16 so I don't have a lot of access to travel my team, for now, will have to be here. ^_^

So, please help out!
    OSU.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2012
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Your post in the other section will be answered soon enough.

Please do not cross post

3. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

Whoa. I hate to pull at the reins here but damn.

First of all, what do you train now and how often do you do it? Wrestling is a fantastic base for MMA,so it makes sense to concentrate on that. You might also want to check around for boxing gyms too to get you started on the striking side.

Secondly, ditch the slim-fast fad diet crap and read up on general nutrition information. You are still growing so thinking "oh my god got to get rid of this fat by any means necessary" is downright detrimental for your health.
    Making a target weight at this point is also a bit premature you're not small by any measure, and you might gain a few inches and put on 10+ pounds in lean mass before you stop growing.

In short, stop worrying, eat right and train as much as you can stand.

4. Henchman

Henchman New Member

I train in wrestling about 3 times a week and BJJ once a week. I'm with an MMA gym so I can go pretty much any day of the week.

As for the other points, I guess so, thanks brudda.

5. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Step 1. Google Starting Strength and Stronglifts 5x5. Go do one of those in the gym, eat like a horse and get strong.

Step 2. Increase your CV training, there's plenty of training plans generically and mma specific online. If in doubt or short of cash, go running.

Step 3. Wrestle in high school then go to college and wrestle some more (assuming your in the US).

Step 4. Box/Kickbox/Thai box at a respected gym.

Step 5. Understand that with all of this together you might still not make it, so go back to step 3 and use the college time to learn something useful too.

Good luck

6. Kyokushin Guy

Kyokushin Guy Valued Member

Body builders get "ripped"/sculpted, martial artists do not. There are exceptions to this rule, as there are exceptions to every rule, but this is a rule nonetheless.

I am not a doctor, but if I was going to prod awake the chimp inside my skull and ask him to do some logic-ing then I would suggest that the nutritional requirements and restrictions for body sculpting and effective, moderate to long term, MA training are not simpatico for the following main reasons:

Getting "ripped" involves having dramatically reduced body fat percentages and for many such athletes this necessitates either extreme calorie restrictions or carb reduction (think "Atkins").

Strong martial arts performance, over all, is hampered by reduced carbohydrate diets as these are your body's primary fuel source.

(If any of my wiser compatriots here can correct me then please do so - I'm here to learn as much as I am here to help.)

Make no mistake, though, you will grow muscle through MA training, and reduce fat. So you will have gained some of the "ripped" results you seek. But in my experience one can easily have one or the other but very rarely both in the long term.

Osu!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Please don't post the same question in multiple areas of the forum.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.