Help Me Design my Training Plan - please

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by stubbyd, Feb 14, 2012.

1. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Really, as the title says.

However, some caveats or prior knowledge needed to help.

I have a reasonable level of fitness and until recently had been attending the gym 3 times (occasionally more) a week and doing 45 minutes of general all round training from treadmill walking to cycling to weights to free exercises along with stretches before & after.

I can no longer afford the gym but have a boxing bag I've hung up in my garage. I also have a training wheel for my push bike and I have a weights bench but no weights. Though I was using empty milk containers filled with water as a sort of weight.

I'm happy with my warm-up and cool down sections but really am a bit aimless and clueless in the middle.

Finally, I've been advised by my chiropractor that I shouldn't run - other than this for a 48yr old I'm in ok shape (if round is a shape) :rolleyes:

So, considering my martial art is Tang Soo Do, and it is this I want to train for here's my initial thoughts. The ideal would be to train like this on all days bar one where I can't make my martial arts class. So presuming I can get to the 2 sessions a week (being a shift worker this isn't always possible) then I'd train for the other 4 at home.

- Warm Up
    - 5 to 10 minutes of bag work
    • but what?
    • should I alternate techniques?
    • or train one to exhaustion and do another next session
    - 5 to 10 minutes of forms or longer as necessary with these to be filmed so that I can watch back / show my M'am for critiquing.
    - Another 5 to 10 minutes bag work ? or bench ?
    - Cool down

Does that sound sort of right? I'm aiming at a training session of 25 to 45 minutes. Today's first solo attempt I managed close to 20m + warm/cool so say 25m tops.

With regards to the bag - obviously I can step through punches, blocks, kicks, etc but should I just go through them all or as intimated perhaps train just punches on session 1, kicks on the next, blocks on the next, etc and if so, in any particular order?

What about my weights bench? Can I utilise that with my home made weights? Just remembered I also have available to me some leg and wrist weights - can I combine these with any specific body weight exercises?

Any and all help and advice gladly taken.

Look forward to seeing the replies.

As a secondary issue - should I be considering any supplements? Not that I'm sure the money is available for this.

Stuart

2. stubbyd

stubbyd Valued Member

Anyone?