Help me convince my friends to stop beleiving in chi

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thelistmaker, Oct 27, 2012.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Give up on the analogy already, it's already silly and moving rapidly towards the ridiculous.

Not someone who believes in the loch ness monster (or equivalent) and therefore possibly not certifiably insane?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Chi does exist, you have to study for years to be able to reproduce the effects of Chi properly.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

To save time, please search for any of my previous posts on the subject of chi. If you have anything new to bring to the conversation, please do so, I'm simply fed up of reiterating the same things (and I'm sure many, many people are also tired of same).

In summary, if you don't want to search:

- what are these effects, and how can they be measured in a scientifically controlled study?

4. embra

embra Valued Member

Ok lets be polite about it Chadz, at 21, I guess you have had years of exposure to Chi and/or you know folk who have?

What context do you base this assertion on? - I guess its more or less Cheesy troll/windup/piddleing about - otherwise you can believe all that bodge if you want - like believing in the flat-earth society maybe?

5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I can actually put together some very convincing arguments for the flat earth...

6. embra

embra Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mevxenJ6Mtc"]"Go ahead, make my day" - Dirty Harry - YouTube[/ame]

:)

7. embra

embra Valued Member

I recall from some years ago a theoretical physicist from Oxord/Cambridge/some posh high and fancy other pace; making a very reasoned argument on TV as to why there was a good chance of a God existing - something along the lines of Boltzman's constant only existing with certainty on earth, hence physical chemistry, hence organic chemistry, hence us, hence a reason for doing so, ergo it must be the hands of Mr. God.

8. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Okay, so bear in mind that these are deliberately designed to appear convincing, and may not be as logically consistent as they seem.

1. The earth is quite obviously flat if you look at it, just look down.

2. Any apparent curve on the horizon is quite clearly the same lensing effect that causes sunsets to flare.

3. The sun quite clearly dips below the edge of the earth every night, and comes up on the other side each morning.

4. The measurements on which the shape of the earth was based are equivalent in accuracy to measuring the distance between two sides of a matchbox nailed to a tree several miles away - and what idiot would base such an important claim on a matchbox?

5. If it was round you'd fall off the bottom.

6. If it was round with a big ball of molten fire at the center, it would have burned away by now.

There ya go, just a handful to get started with.

9. embra

embra Valued Member

Rationality, logic, reason and evidence; can all be bent around to suit one's purpose and position e.g. the deniers of global warming.

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Can they though? Really? Depends on your position I'd say.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

No, wording and semantics can. A little thought would reveal any of those flat earth arguments as nonsense (indeed, one's a classic strawman, and quite a transparent one), but an attempt to be rational and objective rather than emotive will generally get you closer to the truth on any issue where there's an absolute.

12. embra

embra Valued Member

Folk come on this forum and spout all manner of irrational hogwash, usually to be handed over to Dr. Lector and Bunny Rabbit.

Sometimes folk have some fairly vested interest (money, reputation, whatever) to defend e.g. the tosh in the ninjitsu forums.

13. embra

embra Valued Member

This is true. However some folk also wish to induce an element of soap-opera and theatre as well, which is another motivation beyond emotive response.

14. embra

embra Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-Q-IwUijoc"]LochNess Monster CAUGHT ON TAPE!!!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

15. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Thelistmaker wrote
    Oriental linguistics,including classical Chinese.It means he can read the classics in their original language and make some sense of them.Poor translations have caused all sorts of problems and led to people having some seriously weird ideas about chi.

16. embra

embra Valued Member

As well as the scientific arguments, the cultural and linguistic context has to be taken into account - it cannot be dismissed any more than naked 'belief' can be wlelded as some bizarre advert for the 'existence' of Cheese.

This is why talking about Chi in the west is simply meaningless.

Worse still, Chi has such a small place in the CIMA landscape, to render it as pointless. There are much more contentious and interesting aspects to CIMA that almost never get aired here e.g. Bagua theory and the iching - both pivotal in CIMA martial and military strategy.

Occassionally we get onto Neigung here but thats about it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  17. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Sorry to butt in on this convo, but it's not our fault that they have invested interests in hogwash. This is an open forum where people can talk hogwash, and that others can debunk said hogwash. If they don't want to get insulted (or have a reputation ruined otherwise), then they should avoid the topic, but they shouldn't expect skeptics to avoid debunking the bull.

18. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

Isn't it curious that this wasn't world wide NEWS?

Maybe because it's an otter, or maybe a log being dragged behind a boat. Could be any number of things.

I really hope this wasn't a sincere post.

19. embra

embra Valued Member

It is an open forum here, and folk can come on and spout whatever bilge they want - and be counter-bilged for spouting such drivel.

However, in the CIMA world, there are some knowledgeable folk on the forum here who can and do contribute meaningfully. However every now and then we have an epic hogwash/bilge thread and it near;y always revolves around Cheese.

I think in Ninjitsu and KSW forums its even worse i.e. usefull conversation drowned out by the noise of rhetoric and other cat-splodge.

Then there are the trolls who can sometimes be quite amusing like thefiercehadou, wushurichard etc.

20. embra

embra Valued Member

It was a reply to something Bunny Rabbit posted about 20 posts back reg. Nessie.

However, bear in mind I am Scottish and we love sending folk on expensive tourist trips to chase the loch new monster and mating haggisis (plural haggi?)