~Help: ITF Sparring

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by TKDKstar, Sep 21, 2009.

1. TKDKstar

TKDKstar Valued Member

Hey guy's, im new here on MartialArts Planet. I need some advice to beat a rival at tkd.
    Specs of him
    ~Fast movement
    ~Main use of Sidekick and Reverse Turning Kicks
    ~Alot of lifting up that front leg and faking
    ~Doesn't stop, pushes you to the boundaries
    ~Prefers to dodge than to block

Specs of me
    ~Also fast in movement
    ~Prefers to block instead of dodging
    ~I don't attack much
    ~Attack only when there's an opening
    ~I main use Sidekick's/Skipping Sidekicks, Reverse Turning and Turning kicks
    ~Mainly try to get close to limit space but ends up getting punched in the face

My method of sparring is very weird and different to everyone else's. I stay stable, I take hits and I block, I wait until they're out of breath before I start attacking.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

A few points - You say your opponent prefers to dodge rather than block, you try to close the gap but end up getting punched and you prefer to counter.
    Counter punching/kicking is a great skill and is often viewed as defensive. Counter punching is offensive and I would suggest that you start with your footwork.
    You are getting punched because you have not set up your opponent before moving in.
    Make your footwork smaller, don't punch and stay in range, start by punching and retreating only just out of distance, this will have the effect of drawing you opponent in, this will leave him open for the counter.
    Like everything else this subject is massive on it's own. But if you do not set up your opponent before you hit, it is you who is open for the counter.

3. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

work on high section hook kick to mid section turning kick same leg combinations with out touching the ground

Theory: hook kick brings guard up, and places your leg just right to get in under his guard with the turning kick.

it could be done it reverse as well.

by the sounds of it, both of you spar very side on, toss things up a bit and stand in a opposite stance to him, this will stop his reverse turning kicks from working, from here, you can do front hook kick, to make him stand up, or rotate him on the spot a bit, then a read leg turning kick to the new found opening

don't forget you can punch to the head!

two real fast front turning kicks to the midsection will bring his guard down,from there, you should be able to push the front leg down, and side step with a rear punch.

another idea, sort out some nice fast fluid combinations, example

front leg skipping side kick, rear leg turning kick,place foot off at about 45 degrees past the oponent, swing your hip into a turning kick.
    that if fast enough should push him out of the way.

NOTE: these are just theories and i would appreciate critique from people who know what they are talking about.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  4. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Looks like you need to be on the offensive more aka attack more than defend.. it will counter his own offensive nature.

When sparring you need to be adaptable.. if you always spar the same, eventually it will be countered, its just a matter of time before an opponent figures it out!

Stuart

5. Ty-00

Ty-00 Valued Member

A few things to consider...

Dodging > Blocking, because when you block your opponent generally retains their balance, when you dodge they generally don’t.

Fakes are a great opportunity to attack... Your opponent is standing one leg and not even attacking you. If you make your move as soon as the leg begins to drop that's perfect. If you go a little soon and he tries to extend the kick it will probably have no power because it will not have been properly loaded, just brush it aside.

Attacking only when there are openings is all well and good but you should look to create your own openings rather than wait for him to slip up. Perhaps being a bit more aggressive (proactive may be a nicer word) could work in your favor, if you put on some pressure and break his composure he will open up more.

Obviously reading a bit of advice is never going to make a difference in itself, you need you put your ideas into drills and practice practice practice.

6. Atre

Atre Valued Member

That sounds like "I soak up a lot of punishment, and attack after they've hit me so much they're tired" - respect for being able to take hits, but it's not ideal. depending on blocks means your opponent becomes incautious (cos you don't hit back) and you end up under a rain of blows (perhaps why your opponent forces you back to the edge of the mat?).

Blocking spinning back kicks in particular is something I personally would avoid - they are stupendously hard kicks when executed well.

My advice is to change into a more aggressive mindset, don't just block - block and step forwards (kicks are only effective at full range, try sidekicking a wall from 2 feet away) perhaps use your forward motion to drive a punch into his face/stomach... And don't wait for his feet to come down before unleashing the punch, do it whilst he only has 1 foot planted. I know that TKD aren't huge fans of punches (as a rule) but use them if they are effective!**

Also, side/rear are straight kicks, practice your footwork to sidestep these kicks. Personally I like (standing left foot forwards) dodging left[my left foot placed forwards and left] and delivering a right roundhouse to the ribs OR dodging right [my right foot forwards and right] bringing left foot to chamber and sidekicking an appropriate target on your opponent.

**You said you get punched when approaching, a guy with one leg in the air will not be able to hit or guard nearly as effectively as you. Let him punch you ineffectually and deliver a huge blow in return. A strong punch will hopefully open up a good scoring opportunity for a kick or three.

PS. I'm a kickboxer, forgive any change in terminology

7. Ironized

Ironized Valued Member

this can be argued, if he times it right, he will have the forward momentum from fallin behind his punch or block.

another thing, if you are going to block, block hard.
    ive seen my instructor break boards with blocks, even if they don't technically exist.

remember that your blocks are powerful to, block his punch and hurt him...

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

TKD is not my game, but do you guys find blocks work better in your art than parries or ripostes (strike after a parry) for example?

9. Atre

Atre Valued Member

I assume "he" means the opponent? That rocking the body forward/upright after the kick can drive a punch?

Good point, definitely true, my advice is the very helpful "Umm...don't let that happen" :p. Move in quickly enough to catch them with their leg up / get in close enough that they can't drive a punch in that manner / dodge to the correct side of your opponent so they can't drive such a punch at you.

The final trick I mentioned is (IMHO) the most reliable.

Ultimately, I still consider getting up close during a kick to be 'a good move'. You have more options (as the more stable party) and should hopefully be in a dominant position. If it weren't TKD rules you could try something fun like standing on your opponent's single planted foot and then bodychecking (ie.shoulderbarging) the git:evil:.

PS. blocks used to hurt, but on even mildly conditioned forearms they're fairly painless in my experience (but I'm not going to oppose any opportunity to damage your opponent, and blocks should be hard :p) Although having an elbow driven down on your ankle during a kick... THAT is a painful block.

10. nbf79

nbf79 Valued Member

It sounds to me as if you work on your footwork it would open up a lot of options for you. Stay light on the balls of your feet and circle away from your classmate. If he just keeps pushing you off the mat you need to circle and counter. If he comes in with a side kick I used to counter that by parrying it to the side so you end up with his back toward you then punch to the head. Follow that up with kicks as he tries to regain his bearings. Good luck man.

11. TKDstudent

TKDstudent Valued Member

Obvioulsy you need the guidance of a coach who knows you well. I am not sure how effective input via a venue like this will be of benefit. However I will chime in with some general or generic advice.
    The winner of a match is usually the one who is able to contol the bout. In boxing it would be called ring generalmanship. Now controlling the match entails much more than just kicking and punching or pushing your opponent. One must do some basic things; protect against your weaknesses so they are not explotied by your opponent & use your strengths to score points. Likewise one must exploit your opponet's weaknesses and not allow them to use their strengths to score against you.
    Given what you stated above, your rival prefers to dodge. Dodging can be an effective way to defend yourself. However, usually dodging works only 1 or 2 times in sequence. In other words, if you can push your opponent to dodge more than they are used to, you may be able to score after they eventually become unsettled by the dodging itself.
    You also state you like to block. There are some of the same obvious pitfalls with continuing to block as there is with the dodging. However if you can utilize your blocking by moving in when he attempts a reverse turning kick, he will be in a vulnerable position for you to score with numerous hand techniques that are all allowed to the high section in ITF TKD. However, if he is adept at that lead leg side kick, a good fake can result in you getting hurt coming into it, scoring points for him.
    One must study their opponents as much as they can, even film them. At a competition watch every player there as they warm up & go through the early rounds of elimination. One must also be careful trying to exploit an opponents strengths, as they can be so strong that they lure you in, then switch on you.
    One must also have the good coach that not only knows your strengths & weaknesses, but has the ability to examine, analyize & see how you would fit against an opponent. This is a vital necessity, good luck

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

This will never work against opponents who are serious about their conditioning. I've known guys who have gone 7 or 8 fights without breaking a sweat, even done it myself.

Some of these videos might help:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWbd7v4XhJ8"]YouTube - Ross Levine - DRILL: defensive sidekick[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmVVd_zRuZk"]YouTube - Victor Suarez - DRILL: mulekick[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5Z3EtJmevQ"]YouTube - Jason Bourelly - DRILL: axe kick[/ame]