Hello

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Futh, Dec 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

First, I do look where I'm going. But still they conciously seek me out and try to beat my ass. I can avoid them most of the time. But on certain days they get lucky and corner me. As to legal percussions, no I haven't. But my mom will get a call every now and then from a jock's mom. As to them being unarmed,yes, but thing is there is generally 6 of them and 1 of me. I can usually hit enough of them hard enough to get away. But there are days where I get bumrushed and beaten bloody. I'm pretty much a master of the art of getting into fetal position and taking a beating.

As to what style of Jo and Bo they practice, don't know, haven't really bothered to ask.

As to beating folks with Bos, I said I spar them. Yes, sometimes I'll beat them but 95% of the time I get my ass handed to me on a silver platter with a side of rice

Last edited: Dec 17, 2007
  2. Taffyleigh

Taffyleigh Valued Member

Firstly welcome to map.
    You say you are an expert with the nunchaku, and you say you have been training seriously with them for the last 7 years. I am sorry but you can hardly call yourself an expert with such a short time in training, especially when most of it is self taught, without proper instruction. I have been training in martial arts for about 25 years, doing Judo and Karate in my youth and the last 12 years training in self defence tactics and Goshinkwai Yawara, being taught by several instructors who have learned arts such as Aikido, Jujitsu, Brazilian Jujitsu, Boxing and Judo as well as the Goshinkwai and even these instructors would not go as far as to say they are experts, although from what i have seen of them, they truely are, and i myself would not go as far as to say i am an expert in self defence, i would say something like i am well trained in self defence. I think that if you keep going around saying you are an expert, sooner or later a real expert will put you in your place. You say you have had real fights using the Chuks, but were your opposition armed, trained in martial arts or sitting ducks.

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

If this has become such a serious issue that you feel the need to “carry” then maybe you should look at talking to someone about it? You may feel better carrying that weapon but self defence is also about dealing with the law and not unnecessarily escalating the situation.

Think of it this way. They know you “carry” what’s to stop them next time bringing something of their own to even things up a bit?

If things are as bad as you are making them sound then I think maybe you should be looking at other avenues to get this resolved.

Did you not say that you have been sparring against “Dojo trained” people for four years? Surely in this time you would have learnt the name of the style they do?

Heck most martial artists wont shut up about what they train in.

When you see them ask them what it is they do and get back to us.

I take it you train with them often?

4. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

The guys I usually fight are big tough football players who average a height of 6 feet and weight of 200 pounds. Not a thing about them was anything like a sitting duck. One or two train at the local Jiu Jutsu Dojo but aside from them the majority aren't

5. Lord Spooky

So would this be the same Dojo that the people you spar with train at?

6. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

It would have to be, he said there was only one dojo in town

7. Lord Spooky

I know ;)

*resists urge to start quoting Blackadder* :D

8. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

:D

I see me a root of a problem

9. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

I just called them, they all train at the some place. According to them they train in Koppo Ryu. Their teacher is named Daniel Barnes, who has a Menkyo Kaiden from someone named Nagakeshi Kintaro.

I train with one often, the others I train with a coupe of times a month if that.

As to other avenues, both me and my parents have tried multiple ways of getting this stopped even so much as home schooling me for the past 2 yrs. We could move but the family farm is here and we don't want to give it up. We've even talked to our local law enforcement. Their not very much help, they, like the rest of this town, think my homosexuality is a sin. They just ignore it.

I even volunteered to get my gayness "cured", yeah I'm still having nightmares about that 6 week program.

As to them bring weapons sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. If they do it's bats and sticks, if they don't it's still 6 big as hell football players who could. tear my 164 pound ass apart.

10. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

Okay, first off, I spar with folks who train at a dojo.

The guys who I get into fights with aren't the ones I spar with.

The guys who try to beat my ass on a regular basis are big 200lb homophobic football players.

11. Lord Spooky

Koppo Ryu? Is it a Jujutsu ryu?

Menkyo Kaiden suggests a traditional school (Koryu) but that name sounds odd. Oh well it's easy enough to check on.

You really do need to find some form of help to prevent them doing this.
    Maybe some of our US members can give advice.

12. IronDragon

IronDragon Banned Banned

First off, welcome to MAP :)

Second off, sorry about the trouble you've been having, regardless of a person's orientation, they don't deserve any of that.

Third, something to consider, you do spar some people from this dojo, and if you've done good against any of them or have claimed your mastery of the nunchaku, they will talk to the others from their dojo, if one of those jocks hears that, bet they're gonna tell the others about how bad ass you think you are and whatever else their issues are, they're gonna hunt for you.

Might be time to start working awareness drills, trying to stick with someone else if in unfamilair territory or avoiding places where you're out of direct sight and get jumped, might be time to train at that dojo as well and pick up some jutsu skills, that might help you more than a weapon as it involves takedowns, which work well on larger people whe done by a smaller guy.

13. Lord Spooky

Well Google sensei can't find anything on Koppo ryu, lots of Koto ryu koppojutsu of course those pesky Ninja, but nothing on Koppo ryu.

The Kanji used might make it mean something different but Koppo ryu sounds odd to me but then my Japanese is pretty bad. Actually no it’s really really bad.

I shall go and ask the great Koryu gods of MAP!

Oh btw for someone who has no Dojo time you seem to understand some of terminology for this school, and it's spelling, which is surprising to be honest.

14. Lord Spooky

Well koryu.com doesn't seem to have this school listed.

You sure you've got the name right?

15. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

I've got it written down right here, thats what it says.
    I asked them if it was Kobo or Kopo or Koppo and they specifically spelled it
    K-o-p-p-o.

As to your comment about terminology, well I've picked up some terms in the past 7yrs.

16. Lord Spooky

Do you know what Menkyo Kaiden is?

17. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

Well I don't go about town calling myself an expert infact on this site is the first time I've ever used the term in reference to myself outside of my own head.

I've actually applied to train at the school but the guy refused to teach me. He said it would be bad for business.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think most of the reaction here is based on the use of the term "expert." And I agree with most people here. If you're self-taught, you're not an expert. I do applaud you for sparring with the nunchaku. Mostly chukers don't seem to do that. But you said yourself that you get beaten 95 percent of the time. That's not an expert either. A sincere student, perhaps. But not an expert. (I, for one, do NOT believe that the longer weapon automatically constitutes a range advantage. It's perfectly feasible to beat a bo with nunchaku.)

My gut feeling is that you should join this jiujutsu school. Experience with one sort of weapon frequently sheds light on your practice of another kind of weapon. Learning the bo and jo will improve your nunchaku.

I can understand why you might have reservations about that. If you don't go to school with the other students in the dojo, and you've had a lot of trouble with some of them outside of the dojo, I can see why you might not want to go and train there. But it might help.

Stuart

19. Futh

Futh Banned Banned

As I understand it, it's a license to to teach a specific Koryu.

20. Lord Spooky

Where is his school located? Does it have a website?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.