Hello to everyone

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Mordred, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Mordred

Mordred New Member

Hello all,

I'm new to MAP, looking forward to chatting with everyone. This is a great forum with a lot of useful information.

A bit about my MA background:
    Budo taijutsu, 2.5 years
    Aikido 5 months

Kind regards

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hi Mordred, Welcome to the boards :D

3. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

Welcome to MAP, Mordred. Like I said, I think you will enjoy it here.

4. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Welcome to MAP, no reason he shouldn't enjoy it here :)

5. Mordred

Mordred New Member

Thanks to everyone for the welcome!

There is an incredible amount of info on this site, I struggle to get my work done, every time I catch myself reading MAP posts again!

And Andy's rant column is hilarious!!

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Uh oh! You've got the MAP Bug- there is no cure :D

...... welcome Muhahahahaaaa......

7. marais

marais New Member

hey there mordred
    nice to read you.me in SA too.which province u in?
    i have been looking for a budo school round here but battling beeeg time

8. Mordred

Mordred New Member

Hey Marais

I'm in Gauteng. There is a Bujinkan budo taijutsu school in Jhb, http://www.bujinkan.co.za/

They have a list of all Bujinkan schools in SA

9. marais

marais New Member

schweet thanx lots

jo-burg sux hey.rather be on shelly beach.......yes i see a plan being formed here already..............thats it ,im leaving ,need surf,need chicks in bikini's,salty air and emotionless traffic cops;D

10. El Tejon

El Tejon MAP'scrazyuncle

Welcome, new friend.

11. Serpico

Serpico New Member

Greetings and sanitations. :)

12. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Hiya Mordred. Like the name.

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Welcome to MAP!:)

14. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Welcome, Mordred!

15. redi knight

redi knight New Member

hi

seems like a good mix of styles your learning there.
    i dont know much about taijutsu though.

would you ..or someone else care to enlighten me alittle on its history, method, etc???..much appreciated

16. Loci

Loci Valued Member

welcome to MAP Mordred!!!!

i would love to go back to south Africa, and train or just see the sun. i used to live there. :(

17. Mordred

Mordred New Member

Hey there

I really enjoy the fact that lots of people from lots of different styles get the chance to interact and learn from each other on this forum :)

I think somebody like Kurohana might be much better at explaining budo taijutsu than me! Go to the Ninjutsu forum for lots and lots of info.

This was taken from a club web page, I think its a nice general description:

Taken from http://www.pittsburghbujinkan.com/

Soke Hatsumi has decided to rename the art of Ninjutsu - "Budo Taijutsu" to try and eliminate the Western misconceptions about what Ninjutsu is and is not. This re-naming has also allowed for a framework that consolidates all nine RYU's under one discipline.

It is important to remember that the term "Budo Taijutsu" does not refer to a specific style, but more to a group of arts, each with a different point of view expressed by the different ryu. The physical dynamics from one ryu to another varies - one ryu may focus on redirection and avoidance while another may charge in and overwhelm, etc.

To provide some kind of brief description, Budo Taijutsu includes the study of both unarmed and armed combative techniques, strategy, philosophy, and history. In most instances, the area of study is quite comprehensive. The idea is to become adept at many things, rather than specializing in only one. From 9th KYU through Shodan (1st degree Black Belt), a student is versed in each of the nine ryu's in turn. This gives a basic understanding of each school as a foundation to be built upon in each successive Dan level.

The main principles of Budo Taijutsu are: posture, distance, rhythm and flow. Soke Hatsumi has repeatedly called Budo Taijutsu, "The Art of Distance". The practitioner responds to attacks in such a way that they place themselves in an advantageous position from which an effective response can be employed. They are taught to use the entire body (Taijutsu) for every movement/technique, to provide the most power and leverage. They will use the openings created by the opponents movement to implement techniques.
    Due to the combative nature of the techniques studied, there are no tournaments or competitions in Budo Taijutsu. As tournament fighting has set rules which compel the competitor to study the techniques allowed within that framework, this limits not only the kinds of techniques that they study, but also the way in which they will apply those techniques. The way that you train is the way that you fight. Budo Taijutsu requires that it's practitioners be open to any situation and to be able to adapt their technique to ensure survival. A Budo Taijutsu practitioner will always keep an open mind and an open heart not only inside of the dojo, but in thier everyday life as well.

The nine ryu in budo taijutsu are:
    - Togakure Ryu Ninpo
    - Gyokko Ryu Kosshijutsu
    - Kukishinden Ryu Happo Hikenjutsu
    - Koto Ryu Koppojutsu
    - Shindenfudo Ryu Dakentaijutsu
    - Takagi Yoshin Ryu Jutaijutsu
    - Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu
    - Gyokushin Ryu Ninjutsu
    - Kumogakure Ryu Ninjutsu

18. Mordred

Mordred New Member

I know what you mean. I lived in England for a while, great country, but the weather :eek: just freaked me out. I'm used to massive thunderstorms, in England I just got soft rain that went on and on and on.

I enjoy christmas on the beach :cool: rather than a white christmas!

Where are you based now?

Why don't you come visit?

19. Loci

Loci Valued Member

i live in England in Crawley, its really crap!

as im only 16 i cant yet but my mum said that if i do well in my up coming exams then she will take me back there for a holiday for about a month, it will be so kool. :D

i love South Africa

peace
    Loci

20. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Hey mordred