Hello MAP

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by GoldShifter, Mar 21, 2013.

1. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Hello from California.

I study Kajukenbo.
    I have been studying this for somewhere around the 10 year mark. I started when I was 7, I'm 16 now turning 17 in November. I am a Second Degree/Dan Black Belt. I was on the forums for a day or two and I forgot to introduce myself haha. I'm a junior in highschool at the moment. I am currently on the demonstration team and an assistant instructor in the teenager class of our school.

For those thinking, WHOA! A 16 year old as a second degree, his school must definitely be a McDojo, I can (hopefully) assure you it isn't. Our process to get a black belt, from a white belt is 4 1/2 years to 5 years minimum. It is normal to reach eligibility in this time frame. The reason I say minimum is because most people either fail or quit during the Black Belt School process, which is a 6 month training period to get physically fit enough for the test. Another fair amount fail during the test itself. I can't go into details about the test but it is an (atleast) 8 hour test spanning the length of two days, Friday night, Saturday morning. Just shooting down any possible claims before they start. I feel great pride in my dojo and I wish that nobody would claim that it is a black belt factory. Sorry.

2. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP!

Osu!

Dan93

3. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Welcome to MAP. Your art has an interesting history. Anyone who knows it would not figure they just hand out belts.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

what's up.

5. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I have never heard of Kajukenbo sounds interesting, Welcome to Map!

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Welcome aboard :)

Mitch

7. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

welcome!

8. Lockjaw

Lockjaw Killing you softly

Welcome to the forum.

9. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Thanks for all the welcomes! Kajukenbo is a Mixed Martial Art consisting of mainly Karate, Ju Jitsu/Judo, Kenpo, and Chinese and Western Boxing. Also it has some ties with Eskrima also. There are others but those are the ones I know for sure. Our particular syle of Kajukenbo is the Gaylord Method.

10. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Welcome to the mapness!

11. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

Our local Hawaian Kenpo school traces its' lineage through Adriano Emperado also.
    I'm not finding a whole lot of info on the Gaylord method. Do you know of any articles on it?