Hello from Chicago

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by DAMADAD, Nov 7, 2006.

1. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

Hello everyone,
    My name is Jeremiah and I am 33 years old. I am currently studying at the Degerberg Academy of Martial Arts here in Chicago for the last 4 months. I have just been promoted to yellow belt, which I was very excited about. I really like the academy and the Degerberg Blend method which encompasses many different styles. Both of my sons also attend, my 12 year old is a yellow belt(soon to be gold) and my 4 year old is also yellow belt in the kids blend.
    I had no reason not to attend at DAMA as they have a family plan where if you pay for two family members the rest of the family attends for free. So I had no excuse, plus I have wanted to study a martial art as a way to get in shape and improve my mental and physical acuity. Now I have to get the wife involved (she loves yoga and they have free yoga classes for students)and when my daughter turns 3 she will begin taking classes as well. The facility is fantastic and the people are great.
    I joined MAP because the more I delved into the world of martial arts I couldn't believe how many different styles and practices there were! I hope to learn a lot here. My goal longterm is for myself and family to achieve Black Belts and hopefully farther.
    My other hobbies include restoring vintage japanese motorcyles. I am currently restoring a 1974 Yamaha RD350.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  2. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

Hi Jeremiah, welcome to MAP!

3. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

how do jeremiah!

Welcome to the party :)

4. LoChu

LoChu Valued Member

So at age 33 you just started studying martial arts a few months ago and now you're a yellow belt? Wow. You're inspiring me because I'm thinking of studying martial arts and I'm 34.

5. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Welcome Jeremiah, look forward to your involvement

*pssstt; watch out for Lily, she's a man eater*

6. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Welcome to MAP :)

7. Mandras

Mandras Eats Ninjas For Breakfast

Welcome to the planet Jeremiah, that's really great that your whole family (almost) are training together :)

8. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. LoChu go for it. Its hard work but well worth the reward. It wasn't an easy 4 months to make yellow. DAMAs workout regime is really intense.

9. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

What type of martial arts is it you study?

10. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

I study the Degerberg blend method. Which is a mix martial art comprising of: English Boxing, French Savate, American Kickboxing, FilipinoMA, ThaiMA, Kenpo Karate,Kali. These I believe make up the core of the blend, don't quote me though. I am only four months in and haven't really scratched the surface of all there is to study. The philoshophy is closely aligned with JKD.
    They also teach: Bando - Boxing - Capoeria - Jiu Jitsu - Judo - Kali Escrima - Karate - Kenpo - Kickboxing - Kung Fu - Lee Jun Fan - Pilates - Savate - Self-defense - Shoot Wrestling - Silat - Tae Kwon Do - Tai Chi - Thai Boxing - Wing Chun - Wrestling - Yoga. . Lots of Instructors, lots of students, lots to learn. But nice having it all in one spot. The Workout areas are extensive.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  11. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

Hey why is it that I have posted three times, but have not had the site register that I have posted three times? Edit: Make that four times!

12. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Maybe because posts in this forum (Intros) don't count towards your post count? ;)

13. DAMADAD

DAMADAD Valued Member

I guess that makes sense.

14. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Cool, now as previsouly mentioned, get out and post :)