Hello from a Random Jerk

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JohnnyNull, Apr 1, 2011.

1. JohnnyNull

JohnnyNull Valued Member

I don't usually do introductions, but I thought I'd put one here in case people wonder who this new dolt is that's suddenly coming around.

I'll keep it brief, as I could easily ramble here.

I've been in and out of martial arts since Middle School, with styles ranging from Hung Gar and MMA to (Yang) Tai Chi and currently, Aikido.

I'm having a really tough time with Aikido. It's so different from the other styles I've taken, and I really abhor the silly New-Agey aspects to it.

I'm joining in an attempt to learn more, be a more active participant in the online MA culture, and hopefully help others every now and again.

Thanks for having me.

2. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

hi. im fairly new myself to the website myself forgive me for saying but is hungar the same as hung kuen if so i do hung kuen shaolin kung fu myself im currently 1st blue belt which in my club is 5 tan toi or tan tui i cant remember which lol. if you need any any questions answering im sure theres a lot of experienced people knocking about to answer them for you as im finding myself. Peace

3. JohnnyNull

JohnnyNull Valued Member

Hello, 36chambers.

From what Wikipedia tells me, yes.

I should also mention that I'm terrible with names, and I really haven't bothered to memorize lineages, nor commit much to memory, other than techniques. A bad trait of mine, sorry.

4. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

well thats the same with me mate i try to just learn my combat and my forms for gradings although i think my style is from lam si wing if i spelt it correctly i dont know (LSW). So you still do kung fu ? and what part of the country.

5. JohnnyNull

JohnnyNull Valued Member

No, I don't. Having come from a ground-and-pound school, I'm trying to be realistic about my abilities as I age. I'm not sure that I'd be able to use a kung fu style effectively - as that's my main reason for taking a martial art - as I get to be an old fart.

I'm in Connecticut, a state in the northeast part of the US. We're known for being wealthy, well-educated, and rude. I'm bringing the averages way down for the first two. ;-)

6. 36chambers

36chambers Valued Member

well thats ok im from manchester england probably one of the roughest parts of the uk lol. keep up the training m8

7. JohnnyNull

JohnnyNull Valued Member

Thanks, you as well!

8. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Hi Johnny

For a completely non-New-Age perspective on Aikido, do a search for a few posts from one of our sadly deceased members by the name of koyo. He trained in aikido for several decades, and was always happy to share his views on how it should be practised.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your time here!

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Hi Johnny from someone who is not random but is still probably a jerk :)

10. JohnnyNull

JohnnyNull Valued Member

Aegis: Thanks very much. That may make a world of difference for me.

Hannibal: Hi. Then we'll get along famously. :)

11. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Hi jerk

:p

12. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

That'll be Mr Jerk to you Missy!

13. Blade96

i stand corrected. :p

14. Moi

Of course you could have used his first name but that would just be random

15. Blade96

Haha.

Its a joke =] since he said Hello from random jerk so i said Hi jerk :p

16. Moi

I know

17. Blade96

:p

18. JohnnyNull

JohnnyNull Valued Member

Thanks all for your kind welcomes and banter. Sorry to be late responding, I was off to the Northeast (GNU/)Linux Festival this morning, so I haven't been around much. Thanks again!

I started thumbing through Koyo's posts last night, and they really are a gold mine.