Hello AGAIN.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Jack, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Well, here we go again!

This is Jack if anyone remembers me still, which I doubt now. After my last 'return', I disappeared again. This was after having tried a few Thai boxing lessons which I really enjoyed, but for a variety of reasons I didn't persue - these reasons including laziness, money, and ego. However, I've grown up a lot since, have a job (money for however many classes I want!), and am desperately after a physical hobby.

I would 'just' workout and keep healthy, but I find training just to gain size and strength really hard to get motivated for. when I used to have an art, I'd do strength training enthusiastically because I knew it could be applied to my martial arts.

I'm still in the very early stages here... I'm not entirely sure what art I am looking for, but there are a few criteria. I would like an art that is practicle, requires/develops a decent degree of fitness, encompasses stand up and groundfighting, though my interest is moreso in standup, clinching, and throws.

As far as the classes go, I'd like something informal, but friendly without too much 'macho ego' stuff going on. Smaller classes with plenty of personal interraction with the teacher is always a plus. I understand these things are more of a class-to-class basis, however.

I'm not big on groundfighting, it doesn't particularly interest me and I am not into the arts solely for self defence - I want to enjoy a challenge and have fun but not bore myself with things I'm disinterested in. I would however be willing to try some out. As far as the closer ranges go, clinches, throws, and locks are all of interest. I was thinking perhaps of taking up the Muay Thai again, perhaps with Hapkido? Opinions welcome!

Look forward to talking to some of the familiar old names and meeting some new ones :D

Jack

2. Ghost Frog

Ghost Frog New Member

Hi Jack, I remember you!! Missed you round here actually :D :D :D

I haven't been around quite as much recently, but I'm back again now...

I think you should do BJJ... You seem like a chilled out rollin' type of guy... :D

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Hello yet again Jack :D

I never go away, and I'll always remember you :p

4. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

WB Jack... :)

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

How could I forget you Jack!!

Do you remember me? ;)

6. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Ohh, I could never forget any of you guys (or girls) :love:

I hope you've all been well and happy! Any exciting happenings lately in MAP?

anyway, I'm going for a TEN HOUR INTERVIEW for another company I am applying at (It goes from 11.30 to 9.30, so I might decline since it reduces what classes I could attend).. so I'll catch y'all later.

PS. Is the chat function used a lot yet? :p

Jack

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

She really means it. She really never ever goes away. In fact I'd bet Saz holds the record for the longest uninterupted posting session on MAP. :p

Welcome back btw jack :D

8. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I'm hardcore... :D

9. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Hehe.. oh I've missed you guys.

LOL I have the best story to tell you about this evaluation day. I'll first list the thousand and one good points, and then the one undermining bad point. Ready?

So, the people are really friendly, outgoing, chatty, supportive, and not bitchy at all. Really good fun to be around.

Money is commission-based, so my success is dependent upon my own actions. As such the amount of effort and time I put in is optional, and reflected in the amount I earn. This way I am self-reliant, and there is little interdependence that could lead to office politics. Lots of people are earning a tidy £500 a week.

Again because of the self-reliance, I can advance and learn at whatever rate I want by seeking help from others. There is loads of room for advancement through the company, with some people form sub-companies within a year or two.

Ready for the bad bit?

Its DOOR-TO-DOOR SALES. :bang: :bang: :bang:

10. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

If you fancy moving to South Wales, you can come work on my helpdesk :D

11. Jack

Jack Valued Member

:love:

Oh, madame!

What are you doing for a living nowadays Saz hun? Last thing I knew, you were either looking for work or had just found something IT-based? My memory is pretty fuzzy.

PS. You sure replied quick... verrrrryy hardcore :eek:

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

It HAS been a while!

I think last time we talked about work, I'd just got my job on the IT helpdesk. I'm the boss there now :D (I'm in actually charge of people :eek: )

I am hardcore... in fact, if I ever log off, MAP actually vanishes into the ether :p