Heavy wax wood staff

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Ben Gash CLF, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Anyone got a UK source for a "traditional" weight waxwood staff (35-40mm at base). All I seem to be able to find is flimsy sport wushu stuff.

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

If no one has any information here, do you still have my Sifu's contact information?

We have traditional waxwood staff's here. I am sure he could tell you where he gets them from.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Thanks Aaradia, Sadly transatlantic shipping on items over 6 feet is prohibitive :(

4. ned

ned Valued Member

5. Ben Gash CLF

Shipping is 83 euros :eek:

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The waxwood is good for spear. Because it has one end big and one end small, it's not good for staff. IMO, other material (such as oak) is much better for staff.

[​IMG]

7. aaradia

Waxwood is the specific wood used in CLF - at least in GM DFW's lineage. I suspect in other lineages too. Waxwood has a flexibility required that I don't believe Oak has.

8. aaradia

Oh bummer.

I am pretty sure he gets them shipped from China. I am guessing he gets a discount on shipping costs because my school places larger orders.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  9. Ben Gash CLF

In southern Chinese martial arts the dominant staff method is single ended, the staff is supposed to be tapered. I also have a 6 foot untapered waxwood staff for double ended staff and it's much nicer than oak.

10. Ben Gash CLF

An operation that size I imagine they're buying them by the 100 and shipping them via container.

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Sorry for the OT, but what do you mean by "nicer"?

I'm an ash man myself, because it is more durable in cold and wet weather and doesn't splinter as easily as oak. I've never used wax wood though.

12. Ben Gash CLF

My waxwood "bo" is for me the perfect balance of light enough to be quick but heavy enough to be substantial. It's slightly thicker than your average oak bo as well, which I like. In my experience red oak tends to have stupidly thick varnish and white oak splits and splinters. My 6 foot and 7+ foot waxwood staffs are pool cue smooth with a light varnish, my 6.5 foot one is "naturally knobbly" and unvarnished. Waxwood is tighter grained and less porous than oak or ash, my varnished ones feel like a maple guitar neck, much less sticky than red oak ones, and the unvarnished one is much easier to slide up and down than white oak. The only disadvantage is that if you leave them up against a wall they can take a set.

13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Thanks, I'll have to try one sometime.