heart rate monitors

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by FortuneFaded, Mar 22, 2006.

1. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Ai ai ai,

Coagulated alot of research from map about exerise, food and weight loss, final information i need is to with HRM.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend me a HRM? I've seena few polar ones about but do not want to commit anything untill i hear some positive/negative reviews over certain HRM.

I plan to lose weight so i've found out i need to work between 60-75% of my BPM (220-18) therefore, i need to be in the 1350's bpm category for running.

Sheesh, how intensive does that sound... ;)

2. Combatant

Combatant Monsiour Fitness himself.

At all the gyms I have worked at they all used the cheapest in the range of polar monitors. The digits are a good size and they last for years. Can't beat them for value IMHO.

Use the HR monitors as a guide and don't let them take the fun out of training. You would be better off going for distance, time, and performance with regards to martial arts IMO.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  3. ItalianStallion

ItalianStallion Valued Member

Save your money and go interval training :) Burns more fat than continous training at moderate intensity. Just set yourself a target distance/time and sprint it, then you can jog/walk another set time distance.

4. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Your basic functional Polar Heart Rate Monitor tends to be about £50. You can get cheaper but they just don't have the same functionality

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have a Polar and like it. Mine has the belt with a battery that can be replaced. Cheaper ones have a belt where the whole transmitter unit has to be replaced when the battery goes.

I believe the slightly fancier ones also come with more options for suggesting programs for you, which may or may not be what you want.

Best advice is to but over the internet. I saved over 20% by doing that.

Mitch

Edit I think I paid about £80, shop price around £100, but could be mistaken. I'll check the model later.