Heart pain from jumping rope (or skipping rope)

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Halma, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Halma

Halma Valued Member

I've been doing martial arts for a while now, and while I'm not exceptionally fit, I'm in reasonable shape. e.g. I can do a 6-6.5 minute mile without straining myself too much.

So I tried using a jump rope (or skip rope, depending on where in the world you live..) I went for sets of 200, but after 200 I get this pain in my chest. I understand that jumping rope is a heart exercise, so is this normal? Or is my heartrate going up too high?

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

If it's actual hear pain it might be worth going to see a doctor to be on the safe side. If it's things like a tight chest, stitches etc what's your breathing pattern like when you skip? If your pattern is out of sync with your movement, it's very easy to become fatigued pretty quickly.

My heart rate usually goes pretty high when I do cardio (different for everyone), but I don't get anything that I'd call heart pain

3. Halma

Halma Valued Member

Hmm.. What's the difference between tightness & pain?

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Well tightness in the chest would labour your breathing and when you breathe in it would feel tight, like you can't get all the air in you usually would.

Heart pain is pain.

It's like understanding the difference between pain and discomfort when it comes to things like getting punched, stretching etc

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Any form of chest pain is not something to mess around with. Get checked out. It's probably nothing but it's better to be sure.

Is your mile time for one mile or over several?

Mitch

6. Atre

Atre Valued Member

What mitch said.

Not one for armchair diagnosis. Doesn't sound like a heart attack per say... could be angina. But, here's the thing, DON'T TAKE MY WORD FOR IT.

7. Halma

Halma Valued Member

Right OK, well maybe it's just tightness, but I'll get it checked out.

I just figured that if 2-3 people came on and said "hey that's normal I get it all the time" then maybe I wouldn't have to go to a doctor, but I guess that's not the case!

Thanks guys! :)

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Coronary. Work through it!

9. MaxC

MaxC New Member

If it's a chest pain and you're concerned enough about it to be asking around, go see a doctor. Could well be nothing, but it's not worth risking something like that on a 'could'