Healthiest Beers and Lagers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by murphy81, Jan 3, 2007.

1. murphy81

murphy81 GM COMPUTER SERVICES

As a lot of people are "trying" to do this new year, I am aiming to lose some weight, and just generally get fitter. I just had a general thought on new years day (of all days) - Are there ANY Beers or Lagers that are healthier for you than others?

Obviously they are made very similarly, and have also been said that they are as healthier as Wine, but just how healthy?

2. I think there are some "light", low calorie beers.

Alcohol itself contains alot of calories.
    There is a new 2% lager available called C2 (from Carling). So in theory, if there's less alcohol...... less calories?

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Stout is supposed to contain iron, which is why it was traditionally the drink for pregnant women. (Although I suspect that modern medicine would advise pregnant women to avoid alcohol completely!) But how much truth there is in that I don't know.

4. murphy81

Yeh thats true. I think that alot of beers are coming out now, that are low calorie, or a lower percentage of alcohol in them, but im not sure how much difference this would make as to how healthy they are.

And you dont want the percentage of your beer to drop, otherwise there would eventually be no point in drinking it, meaning that would be consuming more pints, cans etc!! lol you cant win!

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It's a crying shame that beer isn't a healthier drink, because it's SO nice! :cry:

6. That's interesting.
    Have you ALWAYS found beer so nice?

When I first drank beer I have to admit I drank it because it was beer. It was what my Dad drank and all the other men I knew drank. However, I can't say I drank it because I like the taste of it.

Now I do like a beer ever now and then purely for the taste of it. Not because of the alcohol or because anyone else might be drinking it - purely for the taste.

I even like the taste of certain lagers now (I'm mainly a bitter man), espcially Grolsch, Kronenberg and Becks.

It would be interesting to see which beer was the healthiest though (or least unhealthy).

7. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I would rather cut down on beer than have to drink the low cal horrible things. I don't drink much of it,but a lovely ice cold bottle on a Friday evening is cool and would really rather not drink the reduced calorie stuff. :cry:

8. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

indeed it does.... zero alcohol and zero peanuts (meant to help prevent nut allergies)

9. murphy81

Thats how I think. I know my limits, so never go overboard on it, and can because you get extremely bloated after about 6 or 7, I stop. But I have tried a watered down version of a couple of lagers, and they taste SO MUCH different.

I agree with Vimto, I only started drinking it because my Dad was having a couple whilst watching footie on TV one Sunday afternoon, but after a while, and the excitement and "Im a Man" feeling wore off, I started getting a taste for it.

Eventually, I got to taste a variety of beers and lagers and now have a range of beers that I go for.

10. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

No - at first I hated it!

Mind you, back then there wasn't as much good beer generally available as there is now, so my early introduction to beer was mainly on stuff that would make me wince even now! :D

Then when I started drinking in pubs I drank mild, because I found bitter too bitter (!) but after a while my tastes switched. Back in those days you didn't see much lager, because it was pretty much only birds who drank it.

It all seems like a very long time ago now!

Probably because it was. :cry:

11. murphy81

LOL didnt realise that you were the same age as my Mum! Does make you feel better?lol

When I started on beer and lager, the main ones around were Stella, Fosters, etc. Pretty much the same as the popular ones that are around nowadays - but then I am only 25 ;) :woo:

12. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Knowing that I might be your father actually makes me feel a lot worse! ;)

13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

Beer has no fat and very little sugar. Good beer is also full of vitamins and minerals like magnesium, selenium, potassium, phosphorus, biotin and B vitamins.

To be really healthy, drink unfiltered beer. It helps alleviate potential hangovers unless you're allergic to the yeast.

There was also a recent study that indicates beer is good for the prostate.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,199095,00.html?sPage=fnc.health/cancer