Health issues

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by mangawill, Jun 28, 2012.

1. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

.Yes on medications
    I mean the Neigong am on about is where people can withstand hits to
    their body for self defence about more than 1000 years ago and does
    internal damage to the enemy or like kung fu movies and Hong Kong and
    Chinese Novels about Kung Fu like the first email i sent u about it:

Taoist Qi Gong which involves postures of sitting or stances,
    generates Qi inside the body. The movement of the Qi cycles round the
    body vertically up from the back, and down from the forehead at the
    front .

That's the main one am on about don't know if you think it's safe to
    learn it as much as I want to and if it affects paranoid schizophrenia
    and OCD?

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I know nothing about the art and tend to lean more towards Hannibal's type of thinking anyway.

However I think you need to be careful with your condition and make sure you can monitor your own thoughts and feelings. Even if it doesn't cause a problem the idea that it might may give you difficulties.

I no expert though, I've just had my dealings with paranoia.

3. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If you have serious concerns regarding paranoid schizophrenia and OCD then you would be better advised speaking to a suitably qualified medical practitioner than asking advice on a martial arts forum.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yep. I have seen little convincing to suggest any more risk than with any other physical activity

Even walking has a risk inherent to it. As chi does not exist the risk is in the exercises themselves - which you will see I recommended an instructor for

5. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

If you are suffering from mental health issues the recommended training is farm labouring.It best to stay well away from any form of meditation or chi kung.

6. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Are you regularly involved with qigong practitioners? If so how many?

Are you regularly involved with people with mental health issues?

Do you know any qigong practitioners with mental health problems?

Have you ever come across qigong causing mental health problems? If so, how many cases?

Can have a look at this too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zou_huo_ru_mo_(medicine)

I think your missing the point. An activity which has such a rich "history" of delusional claims does not bode well with people who have problems with reality.

The exercise you talk about is called microcosmic circulation in English. This is more of an advanced exercise and is usually not taught to beginners. Personally, I would recommend anyone with mental health issues avoids this type of exercise, without prior experience and quality guidance.

With regards to qigong and mental health, a general rule of thumb would be to avoid practices which bring awareness (Qi) upwards and to the head. If you do anything, it should be with awareness moving from up to down.

But, best advice is probably like Johnno said, check with your psychologist/psychiatrist first.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. Dean Winchester

Why is this type of exercise supposed to cause problems?

8. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Yeah, alternatively (if you live in a city) I would go with weight or strength training. IME these sort of practices can be quite beneficial for strengthening the mind and making people feel good within themselves.

9. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

It brings awareness to the head, which is mentally stimulating. If the mental architecture is not stable, it can have a negative effect, like throwing fuel on a fire.

10. Dean Winchester

Mentally stimulating? In what way?

Does it excit things on an organic level or are we talking more along the lines of conscious thought?

Sorry I'm not being an argumentative **** for the sake of it :D I'm genuinely interested.

What do you mean by awareness?

You also mention mental architecture, what do you mean by that?

11. Instructor_Jon

Instructor_Jon Effectiveness First

This whole thread is like setting quick sand on fire and putting it out with the sky. :)

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

To me personally, an exercise like the one mentioned above, done to the extreme i.e. very regularly for a prolonged period of time with very developed breathing patterns, will make you feel disinhibited and detached from your own mental constructs/rules etc, so in essence it allows you to think differently from what is your norm, which in itself is excitable. But, along side this sort of disinhibition, your anchors to reality, or reference points for your idea of normality (mental architechture) become weaker, so it can be unbalancing, especially if you are already unstable. I guess it's sort of like a narcotic substance of some kind.

Of course this is subjective, though I have heard/read quite a few similar experiences. Western psychology has its own definitions in relation to psychosis, I just added a link on that in post 26.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The phenomena is far from unique to Qigong, hence my caveat of "no more so than any other activity involving focus and breathing" - yoga for example, or certain tantric practices.

And as it is with everything else, and as I advised initially seek an instructor....and CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN

14. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

The effects can be very similar to cocaine and speed.It can give you a rush,a feeling of euphoria.In Buddhist meditation these states are called "jhana".

15. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

My paranoid schizophrenia is under control sorry for the late reply been busy offline today

16. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

Is your schizophrenia under control? yes I take it you are on meds? yes

What do you mean in the quote koyo?: You do not seek out BS ..you have

to be fed it..But it is up to you if you swallow it.

Want to make sure so that it's been posted so posted again

17. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

Do you know instructors/teachers/students who have experience with this?yes my family members master master

Do you have any sources for information backing this statement?like what sorry?

Have you researched "qigong psychosis"?[/QUOTE]yes today i have still doing it

also i have a psychiatrist who i said similar to her she said it was ok not sure if she's right though? she knows my conditions and medications

18. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

I have told my psychiatrist already

19. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member

What do you mean Dean Winchester buy?:
    Does it excit things on an organic level or are we talking more along the lines of conscious thought?

Sorry I'm not being an argumentative **** for the sake of it I'm genuinely interested.

What do you mean by awareness?

You also mention mental architecture, what do you mean by that?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  20. mangawill

mangawill Valued Member