Hcg

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by doc97, Oct 4, 2007.

1. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Recently one of my patient asked if I could prescribe HCG (human chorionic gonadatropin) for him. I asked why, and he said he bought the new Kevin Trudeau book "the weight loss secret they don't want you to now about..blah..blah...blah. It is he talks about HCG injection and phase diets. Now I do not particulary like Kevin Trudeau, I think he is nothing more that an extemely good salesman. His "medical cures" book discusses natural cures, but never really goes into the research about them and the dosages necessary. I do believe in nutrition (not one of my strong points as a physician) and supplements, as well as natural remedies, however I don't really take much credence from him. However I promised my patient to look into it. There seems to be phases of diet as well as 45 minutes of aerobic exercise, and of course supplement that seem to be pretty pricey. However I did look into HCG injections. From what I have read in testimonials, people seem to have had weight loss from it, whether associated with his book recomedations as well as the injections with just watching their diet and exercise. However the american medical association has stated that the HCG injections studied did not increase and weight loss as compared to placebo.

I am wondering if anyone has tried this approach, or tried the injections. I told him I would not prescribe it, I get kind of nervous prescribing hormone therapy, but if anyone has tried it and had success or not from this approach, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!

2. Prophet

Prophet ♥ H&F ♥

HCG injections are most commonly used while on a cycle of testosterone to prevent/minimize testicular atrophy. Thats really the only use I've heard thats practical. If he just wants to "lose fat" there are far better options.

Have him look into "carbohydrate cycling" and High intensity interval training. Thermogenics can be a good aid as well. But diet is key.

3. doc97

doc97 Valued Member

Thats pretty much what I thought, most of what I have read is anectodal at best. The only hormone replacement therapy I really advocate is thyroid. After that, there is so much with the neuro-hormonal axis that can be screwed up.

4. bwhite55

bwhite55 Valued Member

i've heard of hcg w/ test cycles as prophet says, but i've never really knew what it stood for or what exactly it does. so....what does it do in the body?