Haye v Fury

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by puma, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Yeah? Well i'm not saying you're wrong, but do you also know how many fighters go into fights injured, sick, etc and you never hear a word about it?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And how many of them have multi-million dollar fights at stake?

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Fury's not endeared himself either - heard that he'd challenged Cain Velasquez after he couldn't get noticed by one of the Klitschkos - don't recall the particulars.

Not a terribly bright one I gather, as I think Tyson agreed to fight under the MMA ruleset.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

He recently retracted that and said he'll fight with "no wrestling". Basically kickboxing.

S

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You only never hear about it if they win.

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Look forward to seeing him fight kickboxing rules if the fight goes ahead.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Floyd vs. Cotto. Floyd apparently was quite sick for the fight. He never mentioned it. He won the fight. Floyd vs. Castillo 1, Floyd had an injured shoulder going into the fight.

Sergio Martinez vs. Chavez Jr. Martinez won 11 rds to 1. Martinez was having more knee problems that he has suffered with... fought anyway. Just a few examples multi-million dollar fights with guys going ahead and not whining or complaining about it.

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Thank you kindly for keepin the knackers cross the pond's heads straight. I didn't know about the retraction, but I'm keen to see how he does kickboxing - esp given he's been training in the Netherlands. Might be a quick study.

Interesting he a Pavee, if I read the article correctly. - Nevin or McDonagh? :happy:

10. puma

puma Valued Member

I don't think you'll see Fury near any sort of ring or cage other than a boxing one any time soon. It's all just getting his name out there to fans who otherwise would never have heard of him. Anyway, he needs to learn how to box first.

11. Saved_in_Blood

I want to make sure that I do state that I have no issue with Haye... he talks a lot, but that's what guys do in boxing to sell fights. I think Haye has a lot of potential, actually, I think most think he has more that HE himself realizes. I was very excited when I read about the fight with Wlad, but disappointed in his performance. Haye has the speed, power and movement to have won that fight. However, Wlad sticks that hand out ALL the time which as far as I know really isn't even a legal move because you aren't punching... and I've also seen guys get warned for that, but in Germany where he's the hometown guy... who's going to say anything?

Anyway, my point is simply that maybe Haye just wants to take no risks with an injury before a fight which is fine. I'm not trying to call the guy a chicken or anything for it because he's got more guts than I have getting in the ring with these huge guys who want to take his head off. I'd just love to see him take some risks and really let his hands go against one of the brothers because he's one guy out there IMO who could really give them trouble... or Wlad at least.

12. puma

puma Valued Member

Yep, I agree.

13. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Mayweather cancelled/postponed the Marquez fight due to injury
    Judah cancelled the Mosley fight due to injury

That is just off the top of my head. You don't show up to work sick and expect to perform at your best - fighters more than anyone

14. Saved_in_Blood

Yes, Judah went through a glass door in the shower after supposedly slipping... that I understand. Like I said, i'm not condemning Haye for pulling out for injury. The point is simply that he seems to have "injuries" a little more frequently than other fighters or he simply just whines about every single one.

15. puma

puma Valued Member

This is true. If he really is that fragile, you have to wonder if boxing is the right sport for him. I would suggest netball, but how would his poor little toe stand up to all that strain?

16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Doesn't look like it will go ahead at all now. Word is that Haye will be retiring from Boxing under Doctors advice regarding a shoulder injury.

17. Saved_in_Blood

You asked me to name some... I named them.

18. Saved_in_Blood

Yep, just saw this. Apparently he had a 5 hour surgery on his shoulder and was advised to retire. He's another fighter IMO that had the goods, but never really showed what he could do. Wasted talent.

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I disagree. He won two world titles away from his home turf, he was fantastic at cruiserweight and really only struggled at the top level of heavyweight. As the BBc analyst said, he got closer on points against Klitschko than any other opponent. I admired his willingness to step up and say "come on then."

20. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah, I don't think he can be considered a wasted talent. I still believe he could beat Wladimir. He had the movement and the power. It just didn't happen on the night. Although throwing himself on the floor constantly got a bit embarassing, I think he still showed that he had the tools to do a job. He didn't really have a proper go at Wladimir. If he could get on the outside of Klitschko's jab and start landing those right hands, I don't think Wladimir would like it. Wladimir, although I respect him tremendously, is fairly basic. And I thought Haye would slaughter Fury. I like Haye, and I hope he can continue. Only thing is, even when he signs for a fight it means nothing. I don't know if I would sign to fight him because you know he will mess you about. I don't know if people have the patience for it any more.