Having trouble switching to strength training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gungfu22, Apr 8, 2007.

1. gungfu22

gungfu22 Valued Member

For about four months I endurance trained with moderate weight for 8-10 reps. Recently I decided to start strength training with heavy weight for 5 reps. I'm having a lot of trouble finding my 5 rep max even with % calculators. The weight is always way too easy, but if I up it by only 5 pounds I can barely do 2 reps. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Have you actually tried getting your 5rm and not relying on the calculators?

3. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Calculating your 5 rep max isnt very accurate. It doesnt factor in the natrual body strength that you may have. Your body may be naturally stronger with a higher rep range, than with a lower one etc.

Probably the best way to work out your 5 rep max, would be to use a weight that you can lift for 10 reps. Keep adding a lb or 2 until you reach the 5 rep mark.

I had the same problem going from 10 rep squats, to 20 rep squats. I used a weight that I could lift for 30 reps, and just kept adding weight each workout till I hit my 20 rep max. Worked well.

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Bump^^ Nothing more to add! ;)

5. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

How much weight are you currently working with? Or in other words, Is five pounds a significant percentage of what you're lifting?

Regardless, if a five pound jump is too much for you, one solution is to bump the weights up by smaller increments. An easy way to do this is buy yourself some wrist / ankle weights (the ones you can velcro on) and hang them on the bar. These are convenient enough that you can even do it in a public gym.

6. gungfu22

gungfu22 Valued Member

Thanks for the responses. Yes I have tried to find it manually but i can only move in increments of 5 pounds (the smallest plate i have is 2.5 pounds). Its really weird, my 10 rep max for the bench press is 115, but I can't do 120 5 times. Any other ideas?

7. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

everyone's got a different strength curve. some people can have the same 10RM but a completely different 5RM. it depends on the person. everyone has genetic differences in strength.

8. gungfu22

gungfu22 Valued Member

So do you have any ideas how I could build my 5 rep max up to 120?

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm just gonna fling out ideas here, they may or may not apply:

* You could go with the small increments idea I posted above.

* You could load up 120 on the bar and keep working away at it week after week until you finally hit 5 reps.

* You could get someone to check your technique - you might be doing something wrong. If there's no one you can ask, get a mate/family member to video you and post up a link here.

* You may have a specific weak bodypart that's holding you back. You could try working dips and military press to supplement, or even just inclines and declines.

* You may be working pushing movements only - perhaps you need to train pulling motions (rows, chin ups, etc.)

Just some thoughts.

10. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

You could always try some power training. 10 rep warmup (not max) then go for 2 - 3 sets of 1 - 3 reps at 120. Also as mentioned, train up the bodyparts that hold you back, perhaps you are lacking the strength in the shoulder girdle perhaps for support etc.

11. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I like this idea. Work with the 120lbs and shoot for 1 rep under failure. Hit 3-5 sets of this and do this 2-3Xa week until you are consecutively pushing more reps.

Then hammer your lats, delts, and triceps.

12. tigs

tigs New Member

I am guessing from your question and your stated 10 rep max that you are new to strength training. I like all the advice above, particularly NaughtykNight and Wazzabi.

My only caveat would be to give it time and don't worry too much. I remember it took me a while to get over 60 kilos when i first started. I was wee and used to do a lot of bodyweight/muscular endurance work - The body adapts at different rates depending on your genetics and previous training.

Make sure that you train your legs and back too. Enjoy!