Having an confidence issue with my hamstrings...

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Bigmikey, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

So I blew out my hamstring for the third time about two weeks back. I know why it happened. I have always had an imbalance between my quad strength and my hamstring strength. I'm VERY quad dominant so when I threw out the kick during the drill we were running, my hamstring wasnt strong enough to recoil the leg against my contracted quad and "pop" went the weasel.

Last night was supposed to be my return to HKD but I couldnt do it. I just honestly felt afraid. I dont really know whether it was fear of pulling the hamstring again or fear of finding that it wasnt ready or maybe, as silly as it sounds, it was fear of realizing that maybe I'm not as invincible as I think I am.

Normally I shake stuff like this off pretty well. I tend to not dwell on my failures or shortcomings but rather drive right on ahead and move forward. But for some reason this one is hanging with me, nagging at me, chipping away my confidence and I cant seem to let it go. Its ****in me off.

I have 18 techniques to master before I'm ready for my test for Brown belt, my midway goal to black belt... on top of that I have to learn to throw a hook kick. I wont learn any of it if I cant find the balls to get my **** back in class.

I guess I just need a good bunch of y'all to tell me to quit whinning, stop being a baby and get on with it cause I'm not listening to myself when I say it, lol.

2. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

You know what to do, warm up well, stretch well and make your hammies stronger. Try to even up the ballance, get your yingie as strong at yer yangie!

3. slickoneuk

Oh and get your shonkey butt back and train!

4. Bigmikey

I LOL'd for real at yingie and yangie... it sounded so .... naughty :D

5. slickoneuk

Hey, as one big bloke to another, you gotta have yer yingie and yangie ballanced or the angle of yer dangle is completley wrong!

6. slickoneuk

Seriously though

I assume your quads are over strong from years of weight training and squatting

This may be a cazy thought and i'm not exactly sure how to get what Im thinking across

The bits that seem to be going are the bits that really suffer when fast movement is needed

Is it because they are trying to move so much mass in the way that Hapkido requires.

Would you be better dropping some muscle/weight to allow you to function faster and more nimble?

I do appreciate that bid and strong muscles can move fast but its a lot of wear and tear on ligaments, joints etc.

7. Bigmikey

I think you're probably on to something though it pains me to say it. I have a choice. I either have to recreate my physique to be more "athletic" OR really delve into bringing up all my weak points... each seems equally as hard at this point, lol.... but something does have to change.

8. slickoneuk

Yep, hard decision to make

Athletic is phrase I was looking for

It will bring your Hapkido on leaps and bounds

I have dropped from just under 20 stone to a knats nob under 18 stone (which means 17 stone and a couple of pounds!!!!)

My kickboxing has improved and so has my enjoyment of it

But as you have said, its a major decision for you and a re-defignment of Bigmikey!

9. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I think you have answered your own question Mikey.

Our resident stretching expert Van Zandt says flexibility is strength at an extreme range of motion.
    Your hamstrings go because they are not strong enough to cope with the range you want to put them through.
    Strengthen the hams and they will then be happy to go through range of motion you want them to.

You knew that though, right?

I also like to see people with hip flexibility. Stand with a chair in front of you (not to close), the back of the chair should be nearest you. Now either do a front kick or side kick (or both) over the chair.
    As your flexibility and strength increases you can bring the chair closer, this forces you to really raise the kicking leg into the chamber position.
    The knee governs the height of the kick, so to kick high you need to get the knee high in the chamber position.
    Another drill is to stand facing the chair and holding onto the back of it for balance. Now just raise the kicking leg into the chamber position and hold.

So with stronger hams and nice open hips the injuries should slowly dissapear.
    In the old days we only held stretches for 5-10 seconds; my current understanding is that there is a receptor in the brain that 'holds onto' the muscle for the first 8 seconds of any stretch, so I now hold stretches for 20-30 seconds.

Just for evilness here is a young me doing the above.

Hook Kick.jpg

Side Splits..jpg

Front Splits.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  10. slickoneuk

i hate stretchy folk!

11. Bigmikey

Right?!?! Oh look at me, I'm all stretchy cause my tendons are made out of elastic underwear waistbands ... BLAAHHHhhh....

REAL men cant DO the splits cause our "danglies" are too big - so THERE! :woo:

12. slickoneuk

Damn straight!

13. Simon

Bah, I know you liked the advice.

I know that you know I am right.

I know you knew the answer all along. :D

14. Simon

15. slickoneuk

Oi, you can't be smug and stretchy all at once!

Pick one!:D

16. Bigmikey

Dont try to confuse me with your LOGIC you!!!

17. Simon

Sorry. :eek:

18. Bigmikey

19. Simon

Thanks Mikey, just showing off.

I would not recommend doing the stretch in the video, it is quite dynamic and with tight hams I can see problems.

I do like the strength advice and stretches using the chair though.
    That is how I got supple in the first place.

20. slickoneuk

Is your voice the love child voice of Barry White!!!!!

Those squat and kick exercises really work!