Have you used haito?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by kerling, Apr 29, 2004.

?

Have you used haito?

1. Yes and I think it's effective technique

58.8%
  2. Yes but it's for show

11.8%
  3. No (for what reason?)

29.4%
  4. What is haito?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kerling

kerling Hidden haito style

Having often been asked what where you doing when I do a haito in kumite I would like to know if you have used it in kumite?

2. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

If you can get a haito in you can surely get a punch in. I'd rather punch. Unless we are talking about point sparring- then the haito is good for a point if you get it in fast enough.

3. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Yep, I've used it in kumite. It is a great technique to use if you know how to put it in. The best time to use it is during tai sabaki. Say your opponent charges forward, you are in a left fighting stance or orthodox stance (left hand is leading). You rotate out of his line of attack with your rear leg turning clockwise so your 12 o'clock is his 3 o'clock, so to speak. As you turn, your rear hand (right in this case) does the deflect of whatever attack the opponent gives (be it a kick or a punch) while your left hand delivers the haito. The haito should land at the back of his neck or nape area. That's one way of doing it. Another is the use of side-stepping and catching the guy on the face. It's a great weapon to use during sen-no-sen and tai-no-sen timing.

There are times when delivering a haito doesn't make sense, just as there are times when a straight punch doesn't make sense. The haito is a great weapon to use for suprise attacks or hit at angles where a punch may not reach the target.

Regards,

Ketong71

Last edited: Apr 29, 2004
  4. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

What is a haito?

5. LightFury

LightFury creator of my own world

bluntly... it is where you swing your arm behind your back and strike open handed but using the inside edge of your hand

you have to tuck your thumb to do it

a senior in our club said u strike at them withyour thump knuckle.... but i reckon if u were to do this you would break your thumb wouldnt you?

6. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Yep, That's the technique. It is also commonly called, "ridgehand", in English.

Not to disrespect your senior, LightFury, but if he/she recommends that you use the thumb knuckle, it is obvious that he/she doesn't know how to use the technique. Try doing that on a heavy bag. Your thumb will be sore in no time. The thumb knuckle can't handle the same impact as the fore finger and middle finger knuckles.

Regards,

Ketong71

7. LightFury

LightFury creator of my own world

no offense taken dude but umm how do u do the strike properley then?

8. Scaramouch

Scaramouch Lost Soul

I've seen it done a couple of ways -

1. using the lower-most thumb knuckle to strike a vulnerable area or pressure-point (e.g. the eye or windpipe) - you would tend to use this like a "short and sharp" strike.

2. a more power based strike, tucking the thumb into the palm, and striking with the fleshy part of the side of the hand above the lower-most thumb knuckle. You can practise generating power (using the hips) with this technique on focus mitts or a heavy bag. Less accurate but more power.

9. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Hi Scaramouch,

I kind of do a combination of the two, both as a power strike, and a "short and shart strike", but I don't use the lower-most thumb knuckle. You can still strike the windpipe with the side of the hand. For eye strikes, I'd rather use ippon-ken instead. But that's just me.

Regards,

Ketong71

10. kerling

Yeah

Well I did as you talked about and shure it did work. None of the people hit by my haito knew what hit them. We where doing WKF kumite wich is good to train or timing.

Many do Kizamizuki - gyakuzuki (front puch - square punch) but switching gyakozuki for haito can be big surprise.

To get power you can similar hip action as for gyakuzuki.
    My haito to a bag very strong.

Haito for street is also very good. When upp close to your apponent use a snapping action for on the back of the head right above the neck. But not to hard though. I have heard that it can be dangerous but I can't remember why (some bone or something you might brake)

Regards Kerling
    ps. Student asked me once during training bunkai "hey teacher he has the wrong leg infront. Should he switch" and I said no you should know this kata and do it's application ura (reverse).

11. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I train in TKD but as for the bone in the back of the neck using Haito or Yup Sudo as we call it can dislocate the spinal column and if hit in the right spot can kill the person and in case any of you want to know we use our ridge hand with the thumb tucked under our palms

Last edited: May 6, 2004
  12. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

This haito you are talking about, is this the same one in the kata Chinto? Its called a haito, but i'm sure its different.

13. kerling

kata chinto

Since I don't know the kata chinto I found picture of it here

.. and the 27 movement looks something like haito.

[​IMG]

Looks like haito but until I can find a video of the kata I can only assume but not be certain.

Regards Kerling

14. kerling

update

Well I found it and it is haito according to this webpage

So I would say yes it's haito :D

Regards Kerling

15. Longshot421

Longshot421 Valued Member

I agree, this is the best success I have had, if you don't use it often and your opponent does not expect it, when they see you set and prepare to defend, almost everyone expects a punch (reverse or straight). Haito can be done so it comes out like a punch and at the last second snaps out and around to the temple or throat, and kept like an ace up your sleeve can be very effective, or so I have found. That there is my 2 cents. :D

16. madfrank

madfrank Valued Member

no use in kumite
    but there is a deadly application for real fighting

MF

17. sempai_alex

sempai_alex New Member

i have always been taught that haito is generally a strike aimed at the neck of your opponent, with a slight downward angle at impact. I dont know too much about specific competition rules, but we aint allowed to strike the neck, so its not too useful in kumite, although the strike can be modified to target the head, which i find useful as i stand at 6'3".

It is a very useful strike as it can be landed even if your opponent blocks, as you can use the bend of your elbow to manouver the strike around the block.

I have never heard of the strike being implemented using the thumb knuckle. A thumb knuckle strike is called oyayubi. You basically make a fist and put the tip of your thumb on the 1st index knuckle. effective again for neck shots, or if you are aiming at pressure points.