Have you heard of Seiki-Juku?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by thepunisher, Jun 25, 2005.

?

Have you heard of Seiki-Juku Karate, Frank Perry or the UKSKO ?

1. Yes

23.5%
  2. No

76.5%
  1. prowla

prowla Valued Member

I think sempai Ben is 2nd (must be coming up to 3rd soon!) - he was last in the teenager's line-up!
    I didn't see a radical difference between the junior & senior line-ups, other than adults get hit harder!

2. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

I was told by Alan that when you are a 1.st dan you are...

..classified as a sempai and once you reach 2.nd,3.rd and above dan grades you are considered a sensei. Because I addressed him with sensei. And he has a 1.st dan black belt.

Christian

3. Owen

Owen New Member

Well Actually......

1) No I hadn't noticed it was spelt wrong, I'll put it down to a typo :p

2) Ben is Alans son not his brother!!

3) Ben is a 2nd Dan, he got it about 1 or 2 years ago, I think. Prehaps I should have asked him in the lesson he took today!! No wait I remember his brother Robbie got his 2nd Dan same time as i got my 1st Dam which was 2 1/2 years ago so Ben has bin a 2nd Dan for about 3 years :eek:

4) I always thought you became a Sensi from 3rd Dan onwards, like thepunisher said.

5) The difference between the adult and the Junior line ups is that in the adult they are all adult and in junior they aren't. There are some adults in the bigger people lines, I had some. However they aren't all adult obviously!!

Yeh, dont think I missed a point, if i did tell me :)

4. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Yep - I think you've covered it all there!

5. thepunisher

Okay, now you're confusing me....

..Ben is Alans son ?:confused: Okay, I must be confusing him with someone else then. Or the one who appears at the "Busen" for grading and always greets me is actually Robbie. How many brothers does Ben have ? Is there one that has a 1.st dan ? Because the one I'm talking too is about as young as Ben Spillard so he can't be his father. He also seems to be teaching the kids classes because at the gradings he always tries to keep the kids in check ahead of the gradings.

Its funny with all these families doing karate at our dojo. I heard the Spillard family is virtually only Black belts, even the father and mother are 2.nd and 3.rd dan. :eek: And then there is the Perry family with Frank, who is 7.th dan, Gemma, who is 1.st dan and Jack who is about to go for his black belt soon. And now I found out sensei Carol has a brother, who also is a black belt.

Christian

6. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

hiya,
    sensei carols brother, bernie is actually a 4th dan. also bernie and carols nephew alex is a black belt and james went for his black belt at easter, but unfortunatly failed. most of their kids are also black belts too! lol my mum is a 2nd kyu (but used 2 b a 1st kyu, long story though), my dad is a 1st kyu (he has been for like 20 years) and my brother is a 4th kyu.

7. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

no I haven't heard of this style but

WOAH! thats gotta be tough I garee with everyone else he should be proud

8. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Christian - it's a bit of an ongoing joke that a lot of people think sempai Ben is sensei Alan's brother (in fact I've joked about it - after a class, of course!).
    If you get a chance, have a look at Sensei Perry's book - you'll see sensei Alan (4th), sensei Sue (4th), sempai Ben (2nd) and sempai Robbie (2nd), ie. the Spillards in there, albeit at a sightly younger age.

9. thepunisher

Which book is that from Perry

Frank Perry wrote a book ? Whats the title of the book and is it still available ? I only know of the "Ice Break" video and I do have a copy of that at home. And in that video it features sensei Carol.

Christian

10. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Sensei Perry's book is "The Complete Book of Karate", and is out of print. You can pick it up on ebay at prices ranging from about £10 to about £80. (I have 4 copies - one for me and one for each of my sons.)
    Apparently it may be going to be re-printed...
    Ice-Break is a very interesting video, setting aside the cheesy 60's/70's Rolling Stones music. I still don't understand how you can support a bo by paper held up on Stanley knives at either end, and then achieve the focus to break it in the middle without tearing the paper!
    (Then again, I'm a 45 year old 1st Kyu, and sensei Perry is something else that I couldn't even aspire to...)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2005
  11. Owen

Owen New Member

This post actually confused me somehow

Yeh I am shocked about how many people think Ben and Alan are brothers, that one always confused me. Mind you would I have known if I wasn't one of their students, hmm who knows? :confused:

Sensi Perry's book is a good read (I have a copy :cool: ) and goes into the history of Sieki Juku and other stuff.

And what karate princess is saying os totally spot on, I graded with Alex in fact i think we both had the same line-up!! Can't remeber if he passed that time i dont think he did, but I am waffling about nothing so i'll pipe down :rolleyes:

So yeh

12. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

no, alex didn't pass the first time neither did lewis (his cousin). personally i think they are too harsh on the family of senior instructors when they take their black belts, its almost like they expect them to be super heros of something

13. jehadc

jehadc New Member

i do seiki juku!

hey, im jehad, im 3rd kyu, seinsei carol teaches me, ive been doing seiki juku for about 3 and a half years. i grade at busen. :)
    sensei Ian was my previous instructor, he taught me for about 1 year, and sensei carol has been teaching me sinse.
    seiki juku rules! :woo:

jehad-3rd kyu

14. Owen

Owen New Member

3rd Kyu is Green Belt isn't it.......God I hope thats rite :confused:

15. prowla

prowla Valued Member

Yep - unlike almost all other styles, we've only got two brown belt grades (1st kyu = brown, 2nd kyu = brown/white, 3rd kyu = green, 4th kyu = green/white).

16. samuri-man

samuri-man New Member

i think i'v heard of your style but i'm not sure

17. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

hey! another seiki juku person lol, where did you train when ian was your sensei? :)

18. seiki juku kid

seiki juku kid New Member

yep i've heard of it i'm a 1st dan in seiki juku (as of about 3 weeks ago but hey, it's a black belt!!!) :p :p :p

19. thepunisher

Congratulations seiki juku kid for your black belt....

..and welcome to the meeting point (so it seems :) ) of all other seiki juku karate members on map.:):) Which dojo do you train at and under which sensei or sempai ?

Christian

20. karate princess

karate princess Savvy??

hey seiki juku kid! wats your name? (i think i might know you)