Has anyone here ever used their Tai chi training in real life fighting situation?

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by The_Chosen_One, Nov 2, 2005.

1. tcgohan

tcgohan New Member

Read

taiji mma fighter http://www.samiberik.com/hunsite.html

everybody please never ever say tjq i not a fighting art, all a good, i repeat a good tjq practitioner would need for pro mma competition is to learn some ground work probably bjj as it has (as far as i can tell) similiar principles to tjq (relaxation, path of least resistance, etc). Taiji works the clinch and striking very well

also seach the tai chi forum and I know you will find more than few accounts of it's real world practicality.

2. The_Chosen_One

The_Chosen_One New Member

Nothing is on this site.

Does anyone have any information on the competition that too place in ThailAnd in the 1960s or so?Also which fighters went there and please give some opionions?

Also what do people think of the style the China man is proposing to teach. Its the Chen style of Tai chi

3. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

4. Taiji Butterfly

Taiji Butterfly Banned Banned

Erm. Only his training history and his fight record...? (A Tai Chi/Wing Chun/MT crosstrainer who fights in MMA as far as I can tell... case closed?)
    Er... Did I miss something? :D
    Chen style is supposed to be good, but I've never trained in it and have doubts about its claims in some respects tbh....
    :Angel:
    PS BTW you called me son earlier - do you have the patent on time travel and if so, do I get to inherit it when you die...er...dad? lol :D

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  5. The_Chosen_One

Does anyone have any information on the competition that too place in ThailAnd in the 1960s or so?Also which fighters went there and please give some opionions?

6. Jekyll

Jekyll Valued Member

Well, I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

7. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

tai chi is a fighting art. Over the years, the fighting art has been lost and the form is done as exercise.

I say you are the chosen one to train in tai chi with some one who has trained in the Chen village. Try it out. Learn the form and get into Push Hands. Than cross train in other martial arts. Tai CHi will improve your ability to advance in the other ma's

8. wanderingdaoist

wanderingdaoist New Member

Firecoins makes a good point. Taiji improves your all around ability, there are countless stories of Masters who focussed on taiji early on then learned and mastered other arts later. I know several boxing coaches who make their students train in taichi to learn how to yield, breath, stay calm and use power appropriately.

Taiji makes you a better person, that includes fighting, cooking, dancing and well, a few other ~ing words that would probably get blocked on here. To think that the system is worthless or has no merit is akin to saying that there's no such thing as big-foot, and we all KNOW that he's out there...

okay, maybe a bad example, but either way, it's ludicrous either way.

9. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

The taiji guy's who went to thailand....

My understanding is that there were ground rules set down for the match. Essentially Muay Thai rules. This hampered the taiji practitioners in that they were prevented from useing some of their skills. Were they masters? I doubt that truly proficient artists would feel the need to go to a foreign country to test there art, to me it sounded more like a PR stunt that didn't work.

As for taiji in a real life fighting situation? Helped me remain relaxed and calm and better able to diffuse the situation before anything nasty happened. The perfect fight is the one that doesn't happen.

As for taiji fighters, you could look up William CC Chen, he has fought in the past and his children fight, with some degree of success.
    www.williamccchen.com

As for Chosen One's dealings with the chinese gentleman... He stated that he wanted to learn more about the art before going along. If I were trying to 'sell' my art and someone said that, then I'd see it as an open invitation to try to convinve him how good the art was. He would have been better to politely refuse, and then find out more on his own, and then go back and see the guy. He stated he wanted to learn more about it and then complained about the guy pestering him and telling him stories. You left yourself open to 'attack'.

10. Syd

Syd 1/2 Dan in Origami

Not as yet ... but I train for the unfortunate eventuality in my Taiji and I'm sensibly confident of my ability to carry the day with the skills I have learned and continue to improve.

Let's hope none of us have to go there ...

11. tcgohan

tcgohan New Member

real fight

I fought on the stairs with a guy who was taller and had more muscle than me. This was after a year w/out instruction and random practice. When he came at me trying to push me down the stairs I used rollback and he went down the stairs. unfortunately I had let the peng in my left arm collapse (now that I'm in class again this is commonly used to push me over :D, its getting better though ) so he had grabbed my shirt but he let go as his body jerked downward pulling my downward as well so I ended up riding him like a bull down the stairs. End result: larger assailant=bloody nose and bruised body, me=no harm done. If I hadn't dropped my peng he would have been all alone at the bottom :love:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  12. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Just for the record, Andy Hug (K-1 Champion) also did Taijiquan.

and if you're gonna talk about what happened in Thailand in the 1960's then also mention what happened to the Karate fighters and the Kickboxers.

13. The_Chosen_One

I wish there was a website that I could read about this 1960's fight. To me its just hear say.

14. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Here.

http://members.aol.com/Thaiboxing2000/muay.html

It talks about how the Karate fighters and Kickboxers were destroyed, not Taiji fighters.

15. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Here's where it talks about Karate and Kung Fu fighters against Muay Thai. It also talks about a Taiji fighter losing. But keep in mind, only 1 Taiji fighter fought.

http://crane.50megs.com/index6d.htm

16. The_Chosen_One

Thanks Korpy I really appreciate it. :)

17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

No problem man. I always like to help. That's some good info there, so take some time and give it a nice read. :)

18. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

I was fortunate because I didn't have to fight in dead or life situation in my life. :)

I like only to practice and sparring with a partner, but I don't like to compete in the sport competitions. I practice TJQ as a self-defense method and I strike only in vital points. ;)

When I will have to use TJQ in a real life fighting (selfdefense) situation I will fight to damage my opponent. Not as in the UFC or NHB copetitions, but real "no rules" fight. "Kill or Get Killed".

Only few TJQ masters teach the combat TJQ. :cry:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  19. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Points like the head...or the upper and lower parts of the body? Legs and arms?

20. oldyangtaiji

oldyangtaiji Old Yang Taijiquan

Yes, only practical vital points such eyes, chin and throat :cool:

Things like Dim Mak and Iron Shirt are fancy but are not practical in a real fight.