has anyone heard of karate jutsu?

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by jager, Oct 28, 2014.

1. jager

jager Valued Member

just noticed a karate jutsu class near me, sounds like something new, anyone have any ideas?

2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Hey jager,

Karate Jutsu is nothing new - You'll usually find that Karate clubs will either label themselves as a Karate Jutsu or Karate Do (or even just plain Karate) club, with 'Jutsu' meaning Skill or craft and 'Do' meaning way or path.

You may find that each club has a definite reason with the distinction, or you may find that it is just being used as a generic term for the Club - Best bet, pop along to club, see if you like it / the instructor(s) / the students, and if so, Enjoy!

Kind Regards,

Travess

3. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Liike Travis has mentioned Jutsu meaning Art or Technique and is normally used in place of the suffix Do (Way) to highlight an emphasis on fighting functionality.

Alot of the fighting arts of Japan when made redundant in use changed emphasis and were seen as a way to enlightment and self improvement (Do) over (Jutsu) fighting technique and used the suffix Do to show this i.e. Kenjutsu became Kendo ect.. This has reflected on Karate as well which originally had a bit of a rough and ready reputation and this move was part to gain acceptance in mainland Japanese society.

Do you have a link to the club site?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

In the UK Karate Jutsu usually means it's Bushido or an offshoot group. The heritage and practices of these groups are open to question.

5. Ben Gash CLF

6. Travess

Okay, this made me chuckle...

...shouldn't Karate Justsu usually mean it's BushiJUTSU...? Lol

This for the most part is correct jager, unlike is the case with say Judo and Jujutsu, the differences, if any, between Karate Do and Karate Jutsu is mostly in the mindset of the club / instructors.

Kind Regards,

Travess

7. Ben Gash CLF

No, Bushido is a specific school/group in the UK. Inconsistency with Japanese language is nothing new for them (they after all proclaim to teach Aikido-Te) but it's not the most concerning thing about them.

8. Travess

That I did not know! Interesting - I was only aware of a small selection of independent Karate Jutsu clubs, my own included, situated in the South East / West region (of England)

Nothing wrong with that - Next thing you'll be telling me is that you have an issue with Ameri-Do-Te...! :D Lol

Regards,

Travess

9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

That's news to me Ben. I know quite a few people who have used the term Karate Jutsu in their advertising and I've done so myself.

10. Ben Gash CLF

To be fair you know more karate people than me. The majority of times I've seen the phrase it's been in conjunction with said group.

11. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Understandable.

As you can probably guess from having trained with me, the circles that I move in within the karate community are predominantly those of people interested in the Jutsu element of the art, so my knowing a number of people that use the term isn't surprising. I don't think I know anyone from the Bushido group.

12. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Interesting. I've only heard "Karate-jutsu" used to describe the joint locks, grappling, pressure point manipulation, etc. done in karate. ~shrugs~

13. Travess

despite the OP never showing any real signs of getting involved in this thread, I came across the 'Justsu Vs. Do' article on Iain Abernethy's forum, and felt it maid some valid points on the variations between the 2, that were well worth sharing, and which more than answer his original question.

http://www.iainabernethy.co.uk/article/jutsu-vs-do

Kind Regards,

Travess

14. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

If you have access to blackbelt magazine, this subject was covered in the current issue as based on the teachings of funakoshi. Goes into depth as far as the differences