Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^just been on the search and there isn't much choice for rash vests unless for watersports/surfing/etc

Workouts going to pot with the elbow problem.

October 27th (Friday) - 1 hour
    1. Airdyne - 8 minutes
    2. Ankle Flexion: mobility exercises: starting with ankle flexion pushing knee against wall with foot flat, 10 each side
    3. Hip Rotation: laying on back, knees up, feet on floor, rocking each knee inward without moving lower back, then both knees to each side, then both apart, 10 sets
    4. Hip Flexor Stretch: in deep lunge pushing knee over foot and opposite hand on wall, both sides 3 each side holding for 20 seconds.
    5. Hamstring and Hip Stretch: in deep squat position with one leg straight out to the side with foot on heel, rotating hip out, turning onto side of foot and eventually to the ball of the foot, other foot is flat, 10 each side.
    6. Leg Curls - 4 sets of 10 reps at 25kg
    7. Box Front Squat - 1 set of 8 reps at 20kg, 30kg, 35kg, 40kg and 45kg
    8. Box Back Squat - 1 set of 5 reps at 45kg, 50kg

October 28th (Saturday) - 1.4 hours

1. Spinning 5 mins
    2. Mobility Exercises: Back roll to V Sit x10, Fire Hydrants x10es f/b, Elbow circles x10es f/b, Arm circles x10es f/b, Mountain Climbers x10, Groiners x10
    3. Squat: 1 x 10 @ 20kg, 40kg, 50kg, then 3 x 10 @ 60kg
    4. Bench Press: 1 x 10 @ 20kg, then 1 x 5 @ 30kg, 35kg, 40kg, 42.5kg, then 1 x 2 @ 45kg (fail on 3rd rep)
    5. Board Press: 2 x 24 @ 30kg (narrow grip) 5 reps on 5 boards, remove 1, then 5 reps on 4 boards, and on to last one 4 reps, just couldn't get that last rep.
    6. Trapbar Deadlift: 1 x 5 @ 68kg, 88kg, then 1 x 3 @ 98kg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8qIPA8uIYg"]Johnson Board Press tricep finisher - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Wise to do a few minutes cardio to warm up. Why legs two days in a row?

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Her friday is focused on form and correcting form for squats with box squats lower than she usually does while her saturday has slightly heavier squats clearly not maxing.

theres no over stress

am i right steve?

5. seiken steve

Pretty much, gold star for you. We're strength training here and mr wielder has a lot to answer for, absolutely no reason not to squat 2 days in a row.

When Herman Groner wanted a 445lb continental he didnt take days of, he did the lift every damn day, same goes for Saxon and every other bad ass who got beastly strong before wielder the like came along.

edit: this is coming across a little like I'm ranting at you nekoashi, I'm certainly not, I'm ranting yes but yours was a good question.

6. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

It isn't good to work the same muscle group two days in a row with resistance training. You can actually break down muscle tissue doing so and you are greatly increasing the risk of injury. It is much better to have rest days between work outs and allow the muscle tissue to repair itself. Granted it may have been a pretty light work out one day (but it was 50kg which is close to what she lifted the following day, it is advisable to separate the days you work the same body part. Legs and the lower back also take the longest to recover. It takes me four days to recover from my leg day when I am lifting hard. Some guys will only deadlift once or twice a month to give the body enough time to recover. You also need to consider the stress on ligaments and tendons that resistance training puts on them (your nervous system also needs to rest and recover), especially us older folks.

By the way, progress isn't made by the actual workout. Progress is made by your body recovering from the stress imposed upon it by the workout. So it is vital that you give the body sleep, rest and enough food in the right proportions.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightTraining/LowBack.html

7. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

was awake for 48 hours and i had an asthma attack a day earlier and a cold hat day yet i still added 5 kg to my deadlift 1RM.

Nervous system deals fine.

8. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

All I can do is share my knowledge and try to point out things I see may not be optimal when I see them. Everyone is free to believe what I say or not and everyone can and should do their own research on this stuff (reason I posted that link).

9. seiken steve

That is one line of thinking buddy, Olympic lifters do fine lifting and squatting more or less everyday.

10. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

She isn't Olympic Lifting. Here is an advanced routine for OL, note the number of reps (their beginners program only has you train two days a week http://www.qwa.org/programs/tbeg6.asp):

Advanced: http://www.qwa.org/programs/tadv13.asp

If she is working weight toward a higher percentage of 1 RM, she needs to be cognizant of over-stressing and it is better to separate your workouts. Regardless, at 40+ years of age ligaments and tendons do not heal as well as they do when you are 20.

11. If there was only one way up the mountain, I guess we'd all know it and follow it already...
    It is cool to leave some space for other methods than what they teach at week end certification seminars... :)

Osu!

12. seiken steve

Honestly mate, there is no issue with squatting two days in a row, I don't want to clog up the log throwing things back and forth but I've done perfectly fine squatting 4-6 times a week and so have many many lifters before the 72 hour rule even had a name.

Why don't you try it? Call it an experiment, do sheikeo or RSR and see if you make any gains?

13. Osu,

Maybe it is not for everyone, but this article is of interest to people stuck on one template for all... :)

Max Out on Squats Every Day

Food for thoughts... :)

Osu!

14. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I have and my view is that if I can, then my intensity was't high enough. I also am still nursing a bad groin pull from training too hard a few months ago. We are all different, this is why I asked her why and did not lecture her. She could be perfectly fine doing what she is.

15. Princess Haru

Hey guys, no need to get mad :)

On squat my 1RM is still 90kg. Both Friday and Saturday were poorly planned workouts.

Zaad is pretty much correct, on Friday I wanted to do mobility work just around squat, so the ankle and hip stuff earlier, and the front squat (which I've never tried before) with more upright posture (as this is what I'm struggling with on my back squat) and at 50kg that is still within a weight that I can do dynamically.

On Saturday I wanted to do just Squat, Bench and Deadlift and started with a repetition method to do most of my reps at 60kg. My legs today are telling me I should have chosen 55kg or even 50kg though (as this would be closer to my 60% max.

Bench was going to be 35kg for sets of 10 again, like squat but got sidelined with the gym manager piling on the weight then doing the board presses. Deadlift was me being lazy and not loading up a barbell with 80kg for reps and paid for it with my lower back telling me I have limits!

My elbow thankfully doesn't feel too bad today. Tomorrow I'm supposed to be doing Deadlift. We shall see :)

From November I will be going from 4 to 3 days. Mondays is proving to be one of the busiest gym days so thinking about Tues/Wed/Sat until I get more Judo classes, then Wed/Sat

16. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Your post has me a bit concerned here and I am trying to figure out what is going on. I hurt my back pretty bad doing squats around 12 years ago, so I tend to be a bit overcautious. Have you had anyone look at your squat form? Are you stable and upright with lighter weights?

17. Princess Haru

It was bending over while washing my bike.

Quite a bit of squat on my vimeo site http://vimeo.com/29528399 though none of me doing a max effort squat.

After reading some more on repetition method I've got this all wrong as WB have these for ancilliary work, a lot of dumbbell recovery work with high volume low weight

18. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

My groin injury happened while just walking down the street at a normal pace. Problem was that I over-stressed my gracilus muscle in the gym and that opened the door for the injury.

Thanks for sharing the video. Hope you don't mind me commenting on your form. On the rows it looks excellent. On the box squat I think you are rocking too much. Also it is hard to tell as most of the reps are sped up on the deadlift, but on that last one, it really looks like you are using your lower back a just a bit too much instead of your legs.

Here is a good video on the box squat:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9HloHClt2Q"]Box Squat - Westside-Barbell.com - YouTube[/ame]

19. Princess Haru

the last workout of October confirmed it was my left hamstring that was the real problem, the back soreness was possibly me taking more on it than the legs, though on deadlift I'm sure Rip says to start with hips quite high, and at 60kg that would be an easy DL weight for me, not as easy SQ weight though.

Oct 31st (Mon) - Light/Recovery repetition workout 1.25 hr
    1. Spinning 5 mins
    2. Mobility exercises: Back roll to V Sit x10, Fire Hydrants L/R x10 es f/b, Elbow Circles L/R x10 es f/b, Arm Circles L/R x10 es f/b, Mountain Climbers x10 slowly, Standing back stretch to Squat x5 slowly
    3. Foam rolling: legs and lower back 10 mins
    4. DB Bench Press: 80 reps w 6kg dumbbells
    5. Low Row: 80 reps at number 2
    6. DB Arnold Press: 2 sets of 40 reps w 4kg dumbbells on incline bench, fairly upright, second set after T Bar Rows
    7. Lat Pulldown: 80 reps at number 3
    8. Rear Delt-Chest Flys-T Bar Rows*: 2 sets of 20 reps at number 2/no add weight* superset, on seated machine and row thingy
    9. Single bent-arm Tri Rope Pulldown: 6 sets of 10 reps on number 1, continuous, change side after 10 reps, 6 sets per arm
    10. Single straight-arm Handle Pulldown: same reps as 9. but standing side on.

20. Princess Haru

still managing with the injury, doesn't feel too bad which is odd, but I'm not doing any gym based strength training for a while

Nov 4th (Thu) - Judo 2 hrs
    Started with usual running around the dojo warmup, some exercises then all the rolling exercises and breakfalls across the mats. Then paired up to do some shoulder throws. Luckily I was partnered with a green belt guy only slightly heavier so benefitted from the added challenge and had someone to point me right more often. Soon added a floor hold to Seoi Nage. Then we had a refresher on O Soto Otoshi, leading onto a new throw Uki Goshi. I really suck at this one but it's cool when done right.

The class was split into smaller groups so we could get a chance of doing more randori style throwing, first with Seoi Nage, then with a free choice. I wore my shorts and tracksuit bottoms to keep the hamstring warm and tight, more so than a gi, but the absense of jacket was a problem as my long sleeve top wasn't rigid enough. Groundwork was better than last week but still needs a lot of work. Glad I didn't miss the class, it pee-d down just before and think this might have put off some as there were a few less than last week. We've almost covered the red and yellow belt syllabus now :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTpIfqfH1mM&feature=related"]Judo - Uki Goshi cadera flotante - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011