Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

20/10/2011 - Judo (2 hours)
    This was my third judo class, there's only one a week for the beginners course but hey it's free and I get to throw around Cambridge University students. Mostly paired up with an orange belt guy so that was good, he kept me on the right track.

We start with running around the dojo forward, sideways and backwards, touching the floor occasionally with hands or knees. Then moved onto rolling, then the syllabus stuff, breakfalls across the mats Mae Mawari Ukemi, Yoko Ukemi and Ushiro Ukemi, the first and second also with a partner.

The main throw of the session was O Soto Otoshi, though we also did a lot of prep stuff for Seoi Nage (ah the words I was looking for was Uchi Komi). I can do a reasonable looking breakfall but from a full throw it isn't without some pain, and I have a nicely purple right elbow :mad:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUu96aUXLX8"]Osoto Otoshi - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbs_aGNZVnI"]Uchikomi practice - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  2. Princess Haru

With the day off I went into the gym a bit earlier, and my watch no longer keeping time (I can't set it but can at least use it for seconds and minutes counter) and slower pace (hardly anyone there) I probably went overtime...

21/10/2011 - Upper body (2 hours)

1. 'Bagwork' - 10 minutes (the warm up pt.1).
    2. 'Skipping' - 5 minutes, my leather rope, (the warm up pt.2, bad it doesn't turn well though, even less with the added knots)
    3. 'Bench Press' - 1 sets of 10 reps with 20kg, then 1 set of 5 reps with 30kg and 35kg, then I tried out something new: 1 set of 5 reps at 40kg, 1 set of 3 reps at 42.5kg, then 1 rep at 45kg, repeat 5-3-1 twice more; then 10 more singles at 45kg (overall easier than expected, need a rethink, the singles were good though)
    4. 'Overhead Press' - 5 sets of 5 reps with 30kg (these continue to be tough alas, this week done from the floor with clean then press)
    5. 'Lat Pulldowns' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.6 with narrow grip bar (no chinups again as hurty elbow)
    6. 'Chest Flys' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 8kg dumbbells (tough, hope these are worth the effort)
    7. 'Single Arm Bent Over Rows' - 4 sets of 10 reps left and right side (no bench, similar to vid 1 below), with 16kg dumbbell for set 1-2, and 24kg set 3-4 (another one I saw this on youtube, not as hard as expected, maybe 24kg for 3 sets next time)
    9. 'Pullovers' - 4 sets of 10 reps with 10kg dumbbell as vid 2 (seen a few people do this so thought it worth trying, think I should have gone heavier).
    10. 'Shrugs' - 4 sets of 10 reps with 30kg dumbbells (harder than doing the same 60kg weight with barbell)
    11. 'Pushups' - 4 sets of 10 reps with variety of hand positions (arms were shot by then so harder than I thought)

Mostly keeping to 1 minute rest between sets, except bench press was 1.5 for heavier sets and 30 seconds for the singles. Injuries apart I really want my bench upto 50kg by end of year (if not sooner)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3zfFc1UfHo"]One Arm Row - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1iizuTNl2k"]Straight Arm Dumbbell Pullover - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  3. Hummm, not much back work in your upper body routine...
    Have you got a back specific day? :)

Osu!

4. Hummm, not much back work in your upper body routine...
    Have you got a back specific day? :)

Osu!

5. Princess Haru

Back features more in my Lower body workout now on Mondays, the split being legs + back (lower body workout - Monday), arms + chest (upper body workout - Friday)

Still got hurty elbow so took it easy with some recovery mobility and stretching work.

22/10/2011 - Recovery workout (1.5 hours-ish)

1. 'Neck' - Mobility exercises: up/down, left/right, shoulders, 5 each way, then 3 sets of 10 reps resistance band flexion on mat
    2. 'Upper back' - Mobility exercises: upper back release standing (similar to ballet exercise -see adage video from 1:07)/ bend forward medicine ball assisted 6 times; repeat later on mat (similar to yoga cobra exercise)/push back with arms forward, head on mat 3 times, held 15-20 seconds
    3. 'Lower back' - Bridges starting with swiss ball 3 times, held 15-20 seconds; then neck bridge on mat, held 10-15 seconds/ more bending forward stretch with flat back; resistance band good mornings 4 sets of 10 reps with small and medium bands together
    4. 'Shoulders' - Mobility exercises: circle arms individually with elbows, 5 each way, then full arm holding bar; battle ropes 5-10 minutes; resistance band press individual arms, 10 each side, repeat for overhead press, and low row
    5. 'Hips' - Lunges; Hip flexor stretch 1 (back leg on mat) 3 sets each side, held 30 seconds; Hip flexor stretch 2 (back leg pulled into glute) 3 sets each side held 20 seconds, opposite leg on knee stretch while laying on back, 3 sets each side held 15-20 seconds; opposite knee stretch with leg back and chest on mat, 3 sets each side held 15 seconds.
    6. 'Ankles' - Knees to wall while foot flat approx 6 inches from wall, 3 sets of 10 reps each side

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REIU3Lnvo_A"]Plies- Advanced 1 - YouTube[/ame]

6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

My dad was a contemporary ballet dancer so i actually use plie and demi-plie and plie to calf raise with a barbell during my mobility work - i didnt know anyone else did that!
    i get some strange looks at the gym for sure.

7. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I used to train with a guy who had a dancing background. He was an amazing karateka.

8. Princess Haru

My taekwondo instructor had more respect for classical dance training than other martial arts so when the club folded sometime after he moved out of the Cambridge area I got into ballet for a few years. There are a lot of aspects of dance class training I miss, I'm still at a bit of a loss doing strength training on my own, it's kinda lonely too

9. Princess Haru

In contrast to last week had a fairly unproductive workout. Injury is really getting me down :confused:

24/10/2011 - Lower Body Workout (1.5 hours)

1. 'Airdyne' - 6 minutes (the warm up pt.1).
    2. 'Mobility Warmup' - roll back to v-sit, fire hydrants, elbow circles, arm circles, mountain climbers, groiners, 10 each, both sides where applicable (the warm up pt.2).
    3. 'Leg Curls' - 4 sets of 10 reps at 22.5kg (after the 'peg' discovery last week, made sure it was mid peg, and added weight, hard work)
    4. 'Good Mornings' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg, then 40kg, 45kg, 50kg and 55kg using barbell (again I had to share, well, eventually after starting outside)
    . 'Box Squats' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg, then 40kg, 50kg, 60kg and 70kg using a bench and blocks to stand on (hurt my elbow as much as the leg benefit, could have tried 80kg except for arm)
    6. 'Bent Over Rows' - 4 sets of 10 reps with 35kg (would have felt fine but occasional twinge of pain from right elbow, the intended target muscles are doing okay though)
    . 'Glute Bridges' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 70kg (still fairly tough)
    8. 'Back Extension' - 3 sets of 10 reps with a 20kg plate.

It's become awkward training on Mondays as I can't really program what I want without lots of holdups. Need to get my arm sorted, somehow :bang:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Oh dear m'dear what's happened to the elbow?

Mobility workout looks bang on, I can never be bothered to get on with that stuff lol, I've started getting to the gym 1/2 an hour early to do it.

You got a cambered bar or extra long bar at the gym? Much easier on shoulders and elbows.

11. Princess Haru

If I put my right arm out to the side with a bend and tighten my first then I get a shooting pain around my elbow, so any barbell or dumbell exercises with a bending action hurt. I can't really stabilise the bar on my back in a squat, get the top position in a bent over row, cleans are definately out, only deadlift with straight arms isn't affected. Really don't know how I did it, though suspect it has to be gym related as it started on Sat 15th.

We have a safety bar (it's 40kg) but it takes a fair effort just to get it to the rack, assuming the rack is free which on Mondays it isn't. Obviously training with a partner can be more efficient for equipment, person 1 lifts person 2 rests, person 2 lifts person 1 rests. Isn't anyone to regularly partner with which also I feel is affecting any further gains, that and not knowing when I get to the gym if I'll be able to get access to the areas I'd planned that session.

12. seiken steve

I'd say the safety bar is well worth the effort. It'll be easier on your elbow and is an awesome bit of kit.

Maybe time to take a short deload/give the upperbody a rest?

SS bar squats, leg press, SS good morning, and Deadlift only for a couple of weeks will give your elbow a rest and still be productive.

Just and idea anyway.

13. Princess Haru

26/10/2011 - Upper body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Skipping' - 10 minutes (the warm up pt.1).
    2. 'Upper body mobility' - 5 minutes (the warm up pt.2)
    3. 'DB Bench Press' - 1 sets of 24 reps with 12kg dumbbells, then 22 reps with 12kg, then 20 reps with 10kg and 18 reps with 10kg

4. 'Lat Pulldowns' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.6 with narrow grip bar
    5. 'Single arm Seated Overhead Press' - 2 sets of 14 reps with 8kg, left arm then repeat with right arm, then 2 sets of 12 reps with 8kg
    6. 'Low Rows' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.6 with close grip bar
    7. 'Single arm Bent Over Rows' - 4 sets of 8 reps with 20kg dumbbell, left arm then right arm, only opposite hand on bench

Dumbbell (push) and Cable (pull) only workout, forgot triceps though

14. seiken steve

When my elbows are hurty I normally don't do any tricep work so maybe its good you forgot?

Push downs are normally alright but they're a bit... Naff.

15. Princess Haru

There's nothing quite as annoying as writing a longish piece and then finding you were logged out of ADSL and lost everything when reloading the page :woo:

Last night's workout as improv, tbh I really didn't feel like doing anything so just tried something else. I feel I need to formulate some of this repetition method / maximal effort / dynamic effort into workouts instead of just the five rep sets at whatever weight.... Just thinking I should have tried single arm lat pulldown and low row in my single arm training.

Today's workout: Judo 2 hours. With my right elbow injury I was reluctant to go but when I lose the regularity of attending it gets easier to stop going (and I've only just started).

Lesson 4 - the teacher was late so a couple of the black belt students took the warm up. Some interesting taisabaki with and without partners then we continued with Seoi Nage. Started with kneeling throws then standing throws. It looked daunting, and unfortunately for me I was partnered with someone who hadn't been last week and managed to do Ippon Seoi Nage throwing me on my head. Yeah thanks for that. More annoying (for me) she was very good at Kesa Getame escapes. I even picked up a right calf injury trying to struggle out at some point. We finished with a return to O Soto Otoshi, then some Uchi Komi. At least my breakfalls are improving but I need to do better on the ground. When I go down after a sweep or throw my weight is too far back and I can't pin that first hold :(

16. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i miss judo cos of the gi work. i want to ask my wrestling teacher if i can work in gi but its a bit disrespectful.

17. Princess Haru

^ a lot of them don't have a gi yet so it makes for interesting grappling! i also have to get over my personal space issues, a lot more/closer contact with other women than i'm used to, and occasionally have guys look at my boobs, been advised i should wear a teeshirt that goes up to the neck as everything tends to move around a bit and a spaghetti top is not going to cover everything under a gi jacket for the duration of a class (i'm guessing)

18. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Get yourself a rashguard rather than a t-shirt.

19. Princess Haru

^ do they breathe? as one of the problems i have is with getting a bit hot (not helped with the weight of the average judo jacket)

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter