Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Strength & Conditioning

Well, more the former than latter. I saw my tummy in the mirror after a shower and thought I need to do more work on my abs (and cut back on my cheat meals)

Started a bit later today so felt like I didn't get as much done as I should have...

Warmup

Overhead Press

1 x 3 @ 20kg
    1 x 3 @ 30kg
    5 x 5 @ 37kg
    1 x 5 @ 38kg

Pullups
    6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 1

some Snatch Balances and
    Overhead Squats with empty bar
    between Pullup sets

Power Clean/Front Squats/ Back Squats
    1 x 3 @ 25kg (paused)
    1 x 3 @ 25kg (paused)

Power Clean/Front Squats

1 x 3 @ 30kg
    1 x 3 @ 35kg
    1 x 3 @ 40kg
    1 x 3 @ 45kg
    5 x 5 @ 50kg

Lat Pulldowns
    2 x 8 @ 57.5kg

2. Princess Haru

Judo

First proper class back, though bit of a slow start for me. Could still feel the bump on my head from Saturday. Mat space seems smaller.

Warmup

Uchi Komi: across the mat - I was using Seoi Nage, Harai Goshi (which I seem to be terrible at again) and Osoto Gari. Then some Ashi Waza, I seem unable to go forwards and do De Ashi Barai as an opener for combination to a second throw, like Osoto Gari

Combination work in pairs - I stuck with Ouchi Gari and Osoto Gari

Speed work in pairs: Harai Goshi (better), Uchi Mata and Osoto Gari

Randori

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTP-FBl3nBY"]De-ashi-barai par Yasuyuki Muneta (JPN) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Jon9hKv2-M"]Deashi harai - YouTube[/ame]

3. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Haru,

Drive your opponent to the side you want to throw them to before entering for the throw ...

4. Princess Haru

My slightly taller partner had a much cleaner Harai Goshi and she did say I needed to drive her to the side more. The action with sleeve/lapel grip feels similar to setting up Osoto Gari but with more space needed to turn in. Now that I think about it, the action isn't similar. It's just that Seoi Nage felt good, and I couldn't get that hip balance before throwing while she could. My legs were like jelly and I just felt off balance when I needed to be the one taking balance not losing mine.

5. Alansmurf

No worries. If you are on face book try to friend mushin bushikan jujitsu ...

I will add you to list and have. look at some clips . I use harai a hell of a lot ..and being modest am queite proficient.. it may help you

Either way keep posting your judo clips are great revision aids.

Cheers

Smurf

6. Princess Haru

Strength & Conditioning

Been on leave a couple of days but I get very lazy, not helped by the rubbish weather, so my gym training wasn't going to set the world on fire. Still I got some things done, and here it is:

Warmup

Bench Press
    1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 3 @ 35kg
    1 x 2 @ 42.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 45kg
    2 x 3 @ 47.5kg

This and my Overhead Press, oh and Pullups, and I suppose heavy Deadlifts, are my longest exercises, in terms of recovery time, so I guess I was on the Bench for 30 minutes. Had a training partner for the latter sets. Unlike last week I didn't manage to get all reps of all sets in 1 breath, but those that I did felt stronger. At least all my 45kg reps were fully down and fully up which I was pleased with, and finished with a weak first set on 47.5kg and strong second set when I kept a better position. It really is as much about technique as strength

Pendlay Rows
    5 x 8 @ 45kg

Back Squats
    1 x 2 @ 30kg (p+)
    1 x 2 @ 40kg (p+)
    1 x 2 @ 50kg (p+)
    1 x 3 @ 60kg
    5 x 5 @ 67.5kg

paused, for approx 3-5 seconds at bottom, superset with...

TKEs
    3 x 15 R/L pullum blue band

Mad rush to get through these. I think it was all 5 sets in 8 minutes, and all things considered it was a good effort. Still feel like a few reps my weight is a little bit forward, unsure how to correct this tbh.

Lying Cable Pulldowns
    1 x 20 @ 20kg
    1 x 20 @ 30kg

Got Chris Jones (Physiques of Greatness) to thank for these. Unsure if these are better than standing version, or the Lying DB Tricep Extensions, but I was passing the machine on the way out the gym and tried these. I did them on the floor with crossover but he used the low row machine. Dave Tate uses similar theme but on a different angle and with bands, maybe I'll try that one next week :)

Gripper
    8 x 1 @ #1/100lb
    left hand only, full close with 5-10 second hold, while getting changed!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMG4XIfBhpA"]Cable Skullcrushers For Big Triceps - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeLLBqg2b5Y"]Elitefts.com - Tricep Finisher - YouTube[/ame]

7. Princess Haru

Judo (for beginners)

This is the class for freshers who haven't done any Judo or just getting back into it after a long break, so there were some partner games and easy breakfalls.

The kneeling bow Rei

Warmup

Forward Roll tuck head in and roll forward then stand up, repeat. What could be simpler?

Front Rolling Breakfall
    Mae Mawari Ukemi (with emphasis on the breakfall, people do like to roll back to their feet, or on their sides, or all sorts of funny stuff)

Side Breakfall Yoko Ukemi on knees with partner pulling up opposite arm to initiate the fall

Back Breakfall Ushiro Ukemi from standing squat and fall back, tuck head in; progressing to the break fall with arms at side of legs

Throws and Holds: Then there was a bit of light throwing...Osoto Otoshi into Kesa Gatame and later adding in the Bridge & Roll escape, and Leg Trap escape. Finally, adding a changing position to Yoko Shiho Gatame

Cooldown

Mats away

The only bit I took away from this as a non-beginner was when Sensei was trying to get people to do the Forward Rolling Breakfall properly, and not just roll back to standing. The break was from the arm and both feet. Between the upper body and legs was a triangle shape, a similar position in transition movements for several of the holds (from Kesa to Yoko Shiho)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Sounds like it was a pretty slow session, but at least you got a refresher on your breakfalling skills.

9. Alansmurf

Sometimes a trip back to basics helps ...

10. Princess Haru

Strength & Conditioning

Felt a bit sick after work, before going to the gym, but hoped it would pass when I warmed up, which it did. Could have used some previous numbers when I was deciding what weights to stop at today...

Warmup

Pullups (mixed grip)

Felt I needed to hit these first as I have been a bit slack on them, shoulder width, one side palm to side of shoulder other palm facing outwards, alternated sets right outward or left outward. It's one of those bars with the handle bits sticking out.

Power Clean/Front Squats
    1 x 3 @ 25kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 30kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 35kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 40kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 45kg
    1 x 3 @ 50kg
    1 x 3 @ 52.5kg
    5 x 3 @ 55kg

(p) Paused at bottom of sets upto 40kg for 3-5 second. I'll need to work on my Clean technique if I want to do any heavier FS from the floor, as that's about my limit for Power Clean. Pleased that even 55kg felt manageable, rack position fairly solid, and kept my elbows up. Could have done 5s (though whether it would have affected the Cleans at 55kg was an unknown)

Deadlift
    1 x 5 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 80kg
    1 x 3 @ 100kg
    1 x 2 @ 110kg
    3 x 3 @ 120kg

Grip and Arms were pretty fried by now and I had the worst most knurly hand shredding 20kg bar so alternated my mix grip from 100kg. Really could use some straps. Wanted to give up after first set at 120kg but I'm stubborn.

Pushups
    15, 15, 15, 15, 15, 15

On way out the gym, and in the changing room, probably got some funny looks. All done fast as, since most of tonight was pulling movements ...no snickering at the back there :p

11. Princess Haru

Strength & Conditioning

After a couple of rest days (didn't do much on Saturday, will gradually build up my dojo time) I expected a decent bit of training, and got a little bit of progress.

Warmup

Overhead Press
    1 x 3 @ 20kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 30kg (p)
    5 x 5 @ 38kg PR
    1 x 10 @ 25kg
    1 x 10 @ 20kg
    1 x 10 @ 15kg

The thinner ladies bar helps, and if I'm not too greedy I might hit 40kg for 5 x 5 by the end of the year, which I never expected. I really wanted to hit more on drop sets with dumbbells from 15kg downwards but everything below this was off the racks, cos it's bench day of course:rolleyes:

Pullups
    4, 4, 4, 4, 4 - wide grip, both pronated

With rest periods and interruptions these take longer than they should, would have liked to done more sets but needed to move on.

Back Squats
    1 x 2 @ 30kg (p+)
    1 x 2 @ 40kg (p+)
    1 x 2 @ 52.5kg (p+)
    1 x 3 @ 60kg
    5 x 5 @ 67.5kg
    1 x 5 @ 70kg

Still not getting the groove on these 67.5kg, today I just couldn't unrack into my preferred stance and this lost time faffing about. Last time I unracked and stepped twice and that was it. Pushing through both feet was uneven so although when I racked the bar the weights were still pretty level (I never use clips) the extra pressure on one foot had me worried about cramp. Thankfully no misses.

TKEs
    3 x 15 R/L with Pullum blue band (+ superset)

Smith Machine Incline Rows/Pushups
    5 x 5 Rows/5 Pushups, lowest setup and first 4 rungs up

Saw something like this on a recent EFTS vid, see if I can find it... oops, should have done them close grip, mine was standard, a bit outside shoulder width

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CB6Jq4jcr4"]Elitefts.com - Exercise Index: tricep ladder - YouTube[/ame]

12. Princess Haru

Judo

Warmup: Running, partner carries, over and unders, mobility stuff

Rolling & Breakfalls

Uchi Komi: Osoto Gari, Ippon Seoi Nage....

Technique of the Day: Morote Seoi Nage - standard, wide stance, combination with step sweep, then with cross grip

Speed work: Osoto Gari, Ippon Seoi Nage

Randori: got 3 rounds in.

Quite a big female turnout, double figures, so I still haven't paired up with a couple of the new girls, but one of them is very strong judoka, not particularly tall but thrashed everyone else. I'm hoping I get back to some kind of form before facing her. My grip was terrible, and as a result could only really get sacrifice and counter throws: Tani Otoshi, Ura Nage, Tomoe Nage, and a rare Osoto Makkikomi. I really tried on a couple of occasions to set up a Harai Goshi and Uchi Mata, but nothing happening. My lats really felt it afterwards

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLElHgZBGR8"]KOGA,2º SEOI NAGE - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY1Cf5fl4AI"]Morote-Seoi-Nage - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AbOU5f1iCM"]Koga a new wind. Parte 7. Morote Seoi Nage. - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnhNVLucCzg"]Huge Soto maki komi - YouTube[/ame]

13. Princess Haru

Strength & Conditioning

Last couple of days I've noticed hurty elbow, this is presumably why Mark Bell wears those funny arm bands near his elbow, not that I lift anything like that amount of weight. Maybe I should get some. Today kinda went off the rails, but I still got some of what I had intended for the day...

Warmup

Skipping

Bench Press
    1 x 5 @ 20kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 32.5kg (p)
    1 x 2 @ 41kg
    5 x 5 @ 46kg ?

Might have been 6 sets (?). I kinda lost count because after the 1st set I could see a couple of young Japanese guys who were a bit too intimidated to interrupt but wanted to Bench, one of them eventually asked me while I was in my rest between 1st and 2nd set. After watching them a couple of sets I felt I had to give some advice since a couple of things worried me: the bar coming up to near level with shoulders, and lots of elbow flaring.

Neither got close to a full bar path. I know for some jacked guys they have problems with being so muscley they lose tension in taking the bar down to the chest but this was around 6 inches, and fairly inconsistent. I hope I didn't make things worse. I think they needed to go down to 30kg for full range reps but hey. Needless to say some of my sets were better than others, no grinders but I'm influenced by the Bell style of Bench, fast down fast up

Pendlay Rows
    1 x 8 @ 50kg
    4 x 8 @ 45kg

Messed up with setup since there was a bar out, a 20kg bar and it had 15s on it I went with this when I should have switched them for 10s and 2.5 which I did.

DB Tricep Extensions
    5 x 10 @ 2 x 10kg (on the floor)

Tricep Band Pulldowns

3 x 20 with red Pullum band, (in Row position with arms and back parallel with floor, see earlier Elite video for Tricep Finisher)

Front Squats
    1 x 3 @ 20kg
    3 x 3 @ 40kg
    3 x 3 @ 45kg
    3 x 3 @ 50kg

I need to build these up to 5 reps sets before adding more weight, these were from the Squat Rack, and I find getting the bar in a good position before stepping back to Squat half the battle. I tried with some belts as straps to get higher elbows but that felt rubbish even with empty bar.

Close Grip Pushup Ladder
    15, 6, 7, 6, 6, on Smith Machine with hands about 6 inches apart.

These were what I intended the other day, only the pushup element, as per Elite video.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8vWl0qRjrA"]Mark Bell 500 and 545 lb Raw Bench Press | SuperTraining.TV - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  14. Princess Haru

moar on Morote Seoi Nage

Dunno how I missed this one yesterday, he makes it look effortless, like the Ko Soto Gari too

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3bDxAY4D8Y"]Formes spécifiques de morote-seoi-nage par Shinji Hosokawa (8e dan) - YouTube[/ame]

15. Alansmurf

Tops ...

16. Princess Haru

Judo (for beginners)

This is the class for freshers who haven't done any Judo or just getting back into it after a long break. Many of them now have an Adidas gi and BJA membership after the first class last week. Continued with stuff from last week with a little bit more...

Warmup

Partner games

Rolls and Breakfalls: mainly Front Rolling Breakfall and Back Breakfall and Roll

Throws and Holds: Then continuing with Osoto Otoshi into Kesa Gatame and later adding in the Bridge & Roll escape, and switching into Mune Getame during escape attempt

Competitive Challenge: escape from Kesa Gatame in 15 seconds, knockout to last pair of beginners

Then back to Kesa Gatame with the Leg Trap escape, following around and taking the lead. I picked up from my partner that if you can get a good hold near the hip it is possible to hold their advance enough to hook in your leg and get that Roll escape.

Foot Sweep: Introduction to De Ashi Harai. My partner was determined to hook my leg right up, so I got him with one of the black belts who toned it down to a more subtle movement. Then to finish we went from De Ashi Harai into Mune Gatame.

Cooldown & Mats Away

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmVCbY0ZkLU"]De Ashi harai - YouTube[/ame]

17. Princess Haru

Strength & Conditioning

As always when I take a day off training suffers, from lack of routine, lack of food, lack of drive. At time of training I'd eaten a bowl of porridge, cup of coffee; a banana and tin of clementine pieces and cup of tea..

Warmup

Skipping

Back Squat/TKEs
    1 x 3 @ 20kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 35kg (p)
    2 x 15 R/L with Blue Pullums band

Still waiting to get on the rack...

Back Squat/TKEs
    1 x 3 @ 45kg (p)
    1 x 3 @ 52.5kg (p)
    1 x 15 R/L with Blue Pullums band
    1 x 3 @ 62.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 68kg

Mad busy in the weights area. Would have liked to gone up a bit but other people wanted to Squat even if they didn't tell me.

Deficit Deadlifts
    1 x 3 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 80kg
    1 x 3 @ 100kg
    5 x 3 @ 115kg

Standing on two 25kg plates, spread between my stance, kinda awkward as there are big holes in these plates, and with their non circular design I had to check the setup between sets, no rolling the bar before pull.

Speed Deadlift
    10 x 1 @ 100kg and reverse pyramid rest

2 with 45sec (including lift time)
    2 with 40sec
    2 with 35sec
    2 with 30sec
    2 with 25sec

Lying Leg Curls
    4 x 8 @ 50kg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  18. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

You say "suffers", but that looked like a pretty solid session of squats and deadlift ;)

How's your elbow doing? Deads pull it back in to position? :D

19. Princess Haru

Thanks. I'm thinking of trying another max effort DL next Friday

Funny you mention that, elbow feels fine today :) I was reading the UK distributor site for 'How Much Ya Bench' prices are close to dollars grrrr. Anyway those elbow sleeve thingys are just under £20 and he recommends buying two sizes. If I can get my Bench over 60kg I plan to celebrate with a Slingshot to add to my kit list

I've just eaten a plate of tortellini, chicken breast, cherry tomato and celery. Much tastier than a protein shake, might still have that before bed

20. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Glad your elbows feel ok :) supports sounds good in principle, would you use them like straps/a belt and try to limit use to when you're really pushing the limits of your strength, or are they something to use all the time?

That sounds like a pretty good 'clean' meal.

It was my turn to cook dinner tonight, ready for about 9pm. I got back from work at 6 having been to the butcher at lunchtime (and got a bit carried away), so I ate peanut butter on toast (2×) while my 16oz rib eye steak and 3 whole eggs were cooking, and I ate those while I cooked sausages, potatoes, carrots and spinach. All pretty tasty, but sub optimal timing as I still feel pretty full and it's getting late (I'm so rock and roll :woo:)