Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

That was almost as nothing to tonight. I think the combination of bad weather and earlier closing has made it busier but had 40 minute wait to get on the Power Rack because of BTN Press. I hope they wreck their shoulders! The irony was I got to the gym about 20 minutes earlier than last week because I felt I didn't get enough done, well that was wasted, hardly worth logging this.

Warmup
    TKEs 3 x 15 L/R with blue band
    Overhead Squats 3 x 5 with light bar

Back Squat (from Clean)
    1 x 3 @ 20kg paused
    1 x 3 @ 30kg " "
    1 x 3 @ 40kg " "

Hang Snatch
    5 x 5 @ 15kg

Argument

RM Back Squat
    1 x 1 @ 20kg
    1 x 1 @ 40kg
    1 x 1 @ 52.5kg
    1 x 3 @ 57.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 62.5kg

DE Deadlift
    1 x 3 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 80kg
    1 x 3 @ 100kg
    10 x 1 @ 90kg with red band (poss. 110kg at top)

I'm still carrying a slight calf strain on right side so had to be careful at the bottom though most of the Squats were fine, a few were a little forward but I had speed on all of them despite being mad as hell. Listened to Metric to try to chill out a bit. I probably could go up to 65kg, maybe one more workout

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Argument? That's not a good addition to a happy workout :( Was it the same group of barbarians as last time? Either way, it's a real shame and I hope it didn't upset your day/evening.

Besides, looks like you got a solid workout in, and I'm sure the Metric helped, although my choice would usually be to put the one and only Megadeth CD that the gym owns on the stereo and knee, headbutt and elbow the snot out of the heavy bag :D

3. Princess Haru

Someone moved all the kit around in the weights room, took a while to find my way around the new layout. Not sure if that person uses the equipment though, the donkey calf, power rack, squat rack and smith machine are together but the leg press is the opposite side of the room. I got there a bit earlier today...

Warmup
    Wall Handstand x3
    Skipping

Overhead Press
    1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 3 @ 30kg
    5 x 5 @ 36kg

Pullups
    4 x 4

Full Cleans with a Front Squat
    LOTS @ 25kg
    5 x 1 @ 30kg
    5 x 1 @ 35kg
    5 x 1 @ 40kg

Front Squat (from a Full Clean)
    5 x 5 @ 45kg

Foam Rolling
    Wall Handstands x 3

Gripper #1 (100lb)
    3 x 5L/3R to width of a pound coin

Still got problems with my right calf, grrrr. Overhead press was much better this week, might be able to add another kilo next time. Bit disappointed with my Pullups, have let this slide, and irregular Clean practice really showed as I ate up lots of time going over getting the first-second pull right, then messed up above 40kg and missed a couple, caught them though :) Last week I Front squatted 55kg and it felt good, this week 45kg feels heavy, makes no sense.

4. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

You'd done a fair bit of work before those 45s though, I wouldn't be disheartened, you've got some great strength going on here, big 4 are very impressive and the cleans are great for someone who by their own admission hasn't practiced them much!

Shame your gym sounds like it is full of D-bags.

5. Princess Haru

So I finally got around to having a proper go at Van Zandt's flexibility workout as suggested on the 'Tell me your problems, my pretties' since I was failing to incorporate more than a fraction in a normal workout this only just fitted into 45 minutes, and even then I finished up in the changing rooms. This is tailored particularly for improving my Uchi Mata, anyway let's get started.

Warmup
    Fast walk/half step on treadmill 6.6mph 2.5% incline for 5 mins

Foam Rolling
    Calves, Hamstrings, Glutes, Quads, Adductors

Single leg Deadlift (L/R)
    1 x 5
    1 x 10 @ 30kg
    1 x 10 @ 25kg
    1 x 10 @ 20kg

Front Lunges
    8 x 8 @ 20kg

Isometric Stretch for Front Split (L/R)
    Back foot on side with both legs straight, each side; then back foot on instep with only front leg truly straight
    10 seconds each side, each type
    15 seconds
    20 seconds
    25 seconds

Foam Rolling

repeat in changing room as gym closing, bit rushed
    10s each side

I think I will settle on 25kg as good weight for everything next time around, and go for 2 sets of 16 on SLDL, that'll still have me really drenched, I mean glowing :D, especially after the lunges.

I wonder if there is an optimum time to hold tension in an isometric stretch, it's something I know very little about, and maybe I could be doing this more efficiently? Suggestions from those who know...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grz2X63WGe0"]University of Judo - Essential Uchimata setups - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMl8Ic0p3Lk"]Uchimata Demo by Yoshida with English Subtitles - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WmpR6AaPt0"]Uchi mata - Continual kuzushi - YouTube[/ame]

6. Princess Haru

another day, another plan B or C....

Warmup
    Skipping - at least I got my best ever run on consecutive double unders = 26

TKEs 3 x 15 L/R with blue band

Back Squat

1 x 5 @ 20kg - aborted warmup, rack too high

Bench Press

1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 5 @ 35kg
    5 x 5 @ 43.5kg

After trying out that 45kg the other week that killed me, or the last 2 sets did, and 42.5kg the week before being a bit easy, I added 1kg. I shared the rack with a couple of guys so had probably 1:30 to 2:00 between sets which made this pretty easy

Pendlay Rows

2 x 8 @ 40kg
    2 x 8 @ 45kg

I meant to do them all at 45kg but forgot I was using a 15kg bar when I set up and wondered why the bar was moving ridiculously fast

Back Squats
    1 x 1 @ 20kg
    1 x 2 @ 40kg
    1 x 2 @ 50kg
    1 x 3 @ 57.5kg

1 x 5 @ 65kg*
    1 x 3 @ 65kg
    4 x 5 @ 65kg*

I barely had any time to do these, after the 8 warmup reps it was after 9:35pm, then in my 2nd set I felt my right calf which I thought was okay but clearly it isn't (got an ice pack on it now), finished the rep, swore a bit, thought about that thread on MAP on Mental Toughness, thought 'You Can Do This!' even with the added 2.5kg this is still light weight. So I got under it a few seconds later, with no bouncing off the bottom, all very controlled ATG squats and they were some of my most consistent reps. Saved:Angel:

Still a bit annoyed about my calf injury though.

* Does this count as a 5 x 5 ATG PR?

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I think so, well done :happy:

8. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I just discovered your log, Princess-nice work! :) I have only done a bit of judo, but for uchimata and other throws, sledgehammer swings are helpful-as well as throwing any sort of heavy, large object. Hope this helps. :):cool:

9. Princess Haru

after Wednesday and the is it a calf or achilles injury problem I rested a couple more days and it felt okayish today so....

Warmup

Pullups

5, 5, 4, 4, 4

Back Squat
    1 x 3 @ 20kg
    1 x 1 @ 40kg
    1 x 1 @ 50kg
    1 x 2 @ 57.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 65kg

Leg Press
    2 x 5 @ 90kg
    2 x 6 @ 100kg
    2 x 6 @ 110kg
    3 x 6 @ 120kg

Deficit Deadlift
    1 x 3 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 80kg
    1 x 3 @ 100kg
    3 x 3 @ 110kg

Romanian Deadlift
    1 x 9 @ 100kg

Standing Cable Crunches*
    4 x 20 @ 40kg + red band

KB Swings*
    4 x 25 @ 20kg supersets

knew that pullups would be hard so did them first, still hard though. still a bit sleepy when I started Squats, but no pressure to get off the Power Rack, kept warmup reps to minimum, felt good but aware of ankle issue. Leg Press at 90 was a bit easy, should have started at 100. For deficit I put a couple of 25kg plates on the floor, then removed them for the last big set RDLs starting at the top. Then some core to finish:cool:

10. Princess Haru

first up, I watched this while browsing the other day, almost put me off going back to Judo (since there are a lot of people I train with that I don't trust that much)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDq07MlMEdI"]Faces of Pain: My Judo Injuries in Korea - YouTube[/ame]

got to the gym a bit late tonight, and forgot an exercise (since I'm not using a written plan per se)

Warmup

Overhead Press
    1 x 3 @ 20kg
    1 x 3 @ 30kg
    5 x 5 @ 36.5kg

Pullups - wide grip
    4, 4, 4, 4

Hang Cleans
    1 x 5 @ 15kg
    1 x 5 @ 25kg
    1 x 5 @ 35kg

Seated DB Overhead Press
    1 x 5 @ 2 x 10kgs
    5 x 5 @ 2 x 12.5kgs

Front Squat
    5 x 5 @ 45kg

Wall climb to Handstand

2, 2, 2, 2

I chickened out of going upto 37kg on my OHP, and the 36.5kg was easy enough to get all the reps, just want to keep form consistent across all sets. So I forgot to add in some heavy Lat Pulldowns since finding Pullups quite difficult. I couldn't decide if I wanted to do Cleans this week, felt I needed to tackle Front Squat again, the rack position is painful even unracking unless the elbows are proper high. I'm tempted to try the straps on the bar so I can let go of the bar, it wasn't so much the weight as keeping form that was difficult. Handstands a bit better this week. I supersetted the DB Press between Cleans and Front Squat sets.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxlPxr6h_yE"]Albany, NY CrossFit Gym: Wall Climb Demo - YouTube[/ame]

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I don't blame you, that was pretty shocking. :wow:

I wouldn't worry about it too much though, you're not him (thankfully!).

Which way are your hands turned when you do these and how much time are you leaving between each set?

12. Princess Haru

it's Pullups, so pronated, I vary between standard shoulder width or wide lat pulldown bar width. I stopped doing Chinups when I could do 10 reps, and when friends were suggesting my arms were getting bigger (not what I was looking for), and rest period varies because the bar is above between the cable crossover and I fit the sets in between what others are doing, but in general 1:30 though with interruptions often closer to 2:00

13. Princess Haru

My Stretching Workout

Warmup

Skipping for 5 mins

Foam Rolling
    Calves, Hamstrings, Glutes, Quads, Adductors

Single leg Deadlift (L/R)
    3 x 8 @ 35kg

Front Lunges
    4 x 15 @ 20kg

Isometric Stretch for Front Split (L/R)
    Alternated between back foot on instep for a couple then on back foot;
    also did some hip flexor stretches, for around 15 minutes.

Foam Rolling
    Again done in changing room as gym closing.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JiZzTiPcFI"]Inoue's Uchimata breakdown at 2004 Olympic Games - YouTube[/ame]

14. Princess Haru

Tonight it was Squat and Bench, not too much to complain about, I got stuff done... :Angel:

Warmup

TKEs with blue band
    3 x 15 R/L (supersetted with warmup sets)

Back Squat
    1 x 3 @ 20kg (paused)
    1 x 1 @ 40kg (paused)
    1 x 1 @ 50kg (paused)
    1 x 3 @ 57.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 65kg

Bench Press
    1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 3 @ 30kg
    1 x 3 @ 37.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 44kg

Low Cable Rows
    5 x 8 @ 50kg (supersetted with...)

DB Tricep Extensions
    5 x 8 @ 2 x 10kgs

DB Incline Press
    3 x 5 @ 2 x 20kg (supersetted with...)

Good Mornings
    3 x 8 @ 50kg

I'm still really annoyed about the weight plate setup next to the Squat. Twice I had someone pass by a moving bar withing 6 inches, damn that's closer than a spotter but with their back to me. I actually swore at one guy. Despite that Squat was okay, and I probably should up the weight next week even with the slight achilles issue that I think I got from stretching forward in the very bottom of the Squat a few weeks ago. Bench was okay though last couple of reps on 4th and 5th set quite slow RPE 8. I think it could be weak triceps. Having a coach would sort out these doubts. Sometimes when my weight is back on Squat I hit sticky points, other reps are smooth down and same back up as if the bar was empty.

15. Princess Haru

Today I had a day off and could have gone training earlier, if I wasn't waiting for something to be delivered from Florida. Couriers GRRRR. Guys in the Gym GRRRR

I got a minimal amount done today, in contrast to Wednesday.

Warmup

Deficit Deadlifts (using 10kg plates which come to below mid shin, compared to 20kg plates at below the knee)
    1 x 3 @ 60kg
    1 x 3 @ 80kg
    1 x 3 @ 100kg
    5 x 3 @ 117.5kg

Dips
    4 x 8

KB Clean & Press
    4 x 5 @ 20kg

Close Grip Bench Press

1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 5 @ 40kg

...at this point the Power Rack became free, but even rushing through a very minimal warmup I wasn't going to get 5 x 5 in 3 minutes

Back Squat

1 x 1 @ 30kg (paused)
    1 x 1 @ 40kg (paused)
    1 x 1 @ 50kg (paused)
    1 x 3 @ 65kg

About the only positive on the day, apart from the Deadlifts being ok, was I put £1 in the locker, and got £2 when I opened it

16. Princess Haru

Today I was going to write down my planned workout in advance, but probably just as well I didn't as even more Manic Monday. I got there a bit earlier, but used all this time in my warmup, so something I'll need to remember next time, some of this was finding enough space to do an exercise like Lunges

Warmup

Overhead Press
    1 x 5 @ 20kg
    1 x 3 @ 30kg
    5 x 5 @ 36.5kg

Pullups
    5, 5, 5, 5 shoulder width/mixed grip

Lat Pulldowns
    4 x 5 @ 57.5kg BTN superset
    4 x 5 @ 50kg Front shoulder width

Back Squat
    1 x 1 @ 30kg (paused)*
    1 x 2 @ 40kg (paused)*
    1 x 2 @ 50kg (paused)*
    1 x 3 @ 57.5kg
    5 x 5 @ 65kg
    1 x 5 @ 67.5kg

TKEs*
    3 x 15 R/L Blue band
    superset after paused reps

Other stuff I'd wanted to add but didn't fit in: Sots Press, Handstand holds, DB Overhead Press. Since I was running out I tried 67.5kg Squat and it was okay, better than my first set with 65kg which had a couple of wobbles

Wow, almost forgot my abs and delts were still sore from Friday (those Ab Wheel Rollouts are killer), so much I struggled in pain on the Pullups

17. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Still looks like you got a solid workout in, OHP is increasing, back squats @67.5, lots of pull ups and pull downs (poor lats!)... Nice

18. Princess Haru

Thanks. I have a few loose goals/priorities to work on in the coming months...

Mobility: (hence Squats on every workout), also why my warmup seems to go on, and on, and on, like over 1/4 of my gym time.

Strength: lats and triceps, barely noticing these on my Bench Press which might explain why I'm still stuck in the mid50s, grip (want to have much more positional power in Randori)

19. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

For me mobility is up there too (frustrating with this stupid back thing!), and there is a point where the warm up blurs into a workout of sorts, so I don't think a long warm up is a bad thing, provided you think it's working for you and it's not going on so long you start to cool down...

I tend to start my warm up with quite slow movements (up cat/down cat, slow sun salutations from yoga, quadruped thoracic extension/twists etc), progressing through to deep side/front lunges, hindu pushups, BW squats etc at the latter part. Previously in my 'athletic' life, those types of things would have been the workout (although at higher volume).

Yeah I know what you mean about bench, I was struggling in the low 60s until one of the gym coaches said "squeeze your lats and try to bend the bar in half", that was a cue that worked for me, but only a couple of days before D-Day/back tweak, so I haven't had a chance to test it out fully yet... Hope you find what works for you ;)

How are you getting on with your gripper? Did you get the 100lb one in the end?

20. Princess Haru

My warmup (for anyone else interested) starts about 1-2 feet from a wall facing outwards.

Forward and back bends, rotate arms outwards on back bend 5
    Side bends sliding hand down one side of leg 4 each side (es)
    more Side bends with hands behind head look upwards 4 es
    Torso twists, feet flat 4-6

Then I'll move a bit further out.
    Hindu pushups 6-8

Arm circles, single arm forward and backward 6-8 es
    more Arm circles, both arms 8
    Band pull aparts, front and back, white super mini band 5 es
    tie band to post, pull upwards both hands with slight back bend (Ura Nage) 20
    move band upto mid level, twist arm out and pull up (Tai Otoshi) 10 es

Front Lunges across the floor 6-8 repeat
    more Front lunges pushing from front foot back to near natural posture, step forward opposite 12-15 repeat
    Standing fire hydrant/hip circles facing wall 10 es outward/inward
    Forward bend to deep Squat to stand 5
    Squat walks 10 repeat

Band shoulder stretch (low/high), tie band to post at midlevel 30sec hold, both side
    Shoulder dislocations with red mini band 10

I've included other stuff in the past but this is usually in every warmup now.

Grips: I try to include these on Bench Press day. Found there is a technique to them, I can only get the left hand full close if I carefully position the handle in the fold of my hand just below the finger line, if it goes any lower I don't have the leverage to get it closed with one hand only

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013