Haruka's Training Camp

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Princess Haru, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Nice deadlifting! :D

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Similar workout to last week, switching a couple of exercises and tweeking weight/reps.

16/09/2011 - Lower body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Airdyne' - 5 minutes warmup (between 68 and 72rpm for the 5 minutes, sweaty)
    2. 'Foam Rolling' - mostly around the leg and hip area (hamstring okay now)
    3. 'Leg Curls' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 17.5kg (getting close to my max weight on these)
    4. 'Stiff Leg Deadlifts' - 5 set of 5 reps with 70kg (felt surprisingly okay, would like someone to check my form though)
    5. 'Bent Over Rows' - 4 sets of 12 reps at 30kg (added another set from last week as I find this exercise awkward)
    6. 'Good Mornings' - 4 sets of 10 reps at 40kg (felt okay, but only when I do a high bar position which I'm not used to yet)
    7. 'Glute Bridges' - 4 sets of 8 reps at 70kg (found the bar pads and felt better doing these, supersetted after 1st set with next one)
    8. 'Back Extensions' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 15kg plate (fairly tough, I shouldn't go up from these for a while)
    9. 'DB Side Bends' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 20kg dumbbell Left and Right sides (felt a bit easy, maybe my form is off)

There were a few more in the gym and I got Enduser on CD for a while but my favourite guy was on the desk to try finishing before I'd done my last set. Still, I was happy with the workout, nothing hurt, finished a bit sweaty but not tired out. Feel some improvement.

3. Princess Haru

Last workout of the week, aiming for more volume at my 5RM, with some alternative exercises to last upper body session.:cool:

17/09/2011 - Upper body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Bagwork' - 5 minutes (the warm up, less power more speed).
    2. 'Skipping' - 5 minutes (more warm up)
    3. 'Bench Press' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg, 30kg; 1 set of 5 reps with 35kg, 37.5kg; then 5 sets of 5 reps with 40kg (all about the last rep on these sets, less at 30, more at 40 next week)
    4. 'Overhead Press' - 4 sets of 5 reps with 30kg (tough, possibly my least favourite barbell exercises along with BOR)
    5. '
    Chest Flys' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 6kg DBs (remembered my faux pas last week)
    6. 'Chin ups' - 6 sets of 3 reps (super setting with previous and subsequent exercise)
    7. 'Lat Pulldowns' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.5 with wide grip bar (Could go upto 6 but tiring SS with Chinups)
    8. 'Single Arm Bent Over Rows' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 14kg DB (10 reps each arm, getting closer to my max weight on these)
    9. 'Shoulder Flys' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 6kg DBs (Felt easier this week, super setting these with the next/last exercise).
    10. 'Skull Crushers' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 15kg (Challenging to keep the EZ Bar still when tired out)

There were a few people in the gym, helps me focus (provided they don't get in the way of my routine). One of the guys was training with his sister, always good to see more women in the gym. Pleased with my pressing even if not big kg numbers.

4. Princess Haru

I'm losing interest. Hurty arms meant I just went through the motions on Monday, and with difficulty logging onto my PC at home I didn't get around to adding it. From memory....

19/09/2011 - Core & More (1.5 hours)

1. 'Mobility Exercises' - 5 minutes (the warm up, supersetted with next).
    2. 'Crunches' - 3 sets of 10 reps on swiss ball (full neck and upper back movement only)

3. 'Planks' - 3 sets of 1 minute; 1 set at bodyweight with feet on 2nd step of stairs; next set with 10kg powerbag on back, last set with 15kg powerbag. (would have been easier with plates as bags move around a bit)
    4. 'Hanging Leg Raises' - 5 sets of 5 reps (was aiming for feet above shoulder height but harder than I thought)
    5. 'Kettlebell Snatchs
    ' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 12kg KB right and left side (better on my right than left) then 3 sets of 5 reps with 2 x 12kg KBs (tough stabilisation exercise)
    6. 'Chin ups' - 5 sets of 4 reps
    7. 'Kettlebell Windmills' - 3 sets of 5 reps with 12kg KB right and left side (find these easier at the beginning of a session)

All in fairly disappointing :(

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I always feel that way if I go in for a 'core and more' as you called it.

The Deadlift session looked cool, you've made some real impressive progress recently.

6. Princess Haru

Felt a bit run down and with the runs :( so didn't expect much but was surprised to get into it, better times between exercises, no more than 30 minutes per main lift...

21/09/2011 - The Trinity SQ/BP/DL (1.5 hours)

1. 'De Franco's Agile 8' - Been a while since I done these [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiA0-IatUrY&feature=related"]DeFrancosTraining.com - sample mobility drills - YouTube[/ame]

2. 'Kettlebell Swings' - 1 set of 100 swings with 16kg KB (tough, and I could feel it in my hamstrings when I got onto Bench and Deadlift)
    3. 'Squats' - 1 set of 10 reps at 20kg, 40kg and 50kg; 4 sets of 5 reps at 60kg (still getting back into these, better rest times, need to raise my head though)
    4. 'Bench Press' - 1 set of 10 reps at 20kg and 30kg; 1 set of 5 reps at 35kg and 37.5kg; 5 sets of 5 reps at 40kg (no spotter so staying within my boundaries, more reps at 40kg)
    5. 'Deadlift' - 1 set of 8 reps at 60kg, 1 set of 6 reps at 80kg, 1 set of 4 reps at 90kg (all with twin overhand grip), then 3 sets of 3 reps at 100kg (mixed grip)

Fairly happy with this though I need to sort out my head/neck alignment before adding any more weight on squats (my least favourite). Reuben helped me get through the Bench Press :cool:

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nice, I like the first mobility exercise in that clip.

8. Princess Haru

Similar workout to two weeks ago, switching a couple of exercises and tweeking weight/reps.

23/09/2011 - Lower body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Airdyne' - 6 minutes warmup (between 68 and 75rpm for the 6 minutes)
    2. 'Foam Rolling' - mostly around the leg and hip area
    3. 'Leg Curls' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 17.5kg (again)
    4. 'Box Squats' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg then, 40kg, 50kg, 60kg and 70kg (felt okay, bench was a little high)
    5. 'Bent Over Rows' - 3 sets of 12 reps at 32.5kg (added a bit more weight this week)
    6. 'Good Mornings' - 2 sets of 10 reps at 40kg, and another 2 sets at 45kg (felt okay, bit wobbly start)
    7. 'Glute Bridges' - 3 sets of 10 reps at 70kg (using the stiffer 1.5" bar, supersetted with next exercise)
    8. 'Back Extensions' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 15kg plate (fairly tough again)
    9. 'Deadlifts' - 8 sets of 1 rep with 60kg for speed (relatively easy, but supersetted with something tougher)
    10. 'Kettlebell Swings' - 8 sets of 8 reps with 2 x 16kg KBs (insanely hard, what was I thinking!)

I went in a bit earlier as I had the day off, and videoed it, which slowed down my exercise setup and transition somewhat (will post it here soon). Some of these I could really feel the target muscle working so must be doing a bit of good.

9. Princess Haru

Had to push myself to go to the gym today but hey, it's the last workout of the week. I've got up to at least 5 reps on Bench Press but feel I need to push this maybe to 8 reps before increasing the weight. Fairly quiet session

24/09/2011 - Upper body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Bagwork' - 5 minutes (the warm up).
    2. 'Skipping' - 5 minutes (with leather rope, more warm up).
    3. 'Bench Press' - 1 set of 10 reps with 20kg, 30kg; 1 set of 5 reps with 35kg, 37.5kg; then 5 sets of 5 reps with 40kg (oops, I forgot to reduce the 30kg reps)
    4. 'Incline Bench Press' - 2 sets of 20 reps with 12kg DBs (really tough, thought these would be easier by now)
    5. '
    Chest Flys' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 6kg DBs (maybe less reps more weight next time)
    6. 'Chin ups' - 5 sets of 4 reps (super setting with previous exercise)
    7. 'Lat Pulldowns' - 3 sets of 10 reps at No.6 with narrow grip bar (more supersets, this time with next exercise)
    8. 'Single Arm Bent Over Rows' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 14kg DB (10 reps each arm)
    9. 'Shoulder Flys' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 6kg DBs (superset with the next/last exercise).
    10. 'Tricep Rope Pulldowns' - 2 sets of 20 reps at No.3 (better than my last effort on these)

This is basic repeat of my routine from two weeks ago. Maybe if I'm organised I'll video next Saturday's efforts before some Max Effort days and a deload then restructure. Music by 'This Will Destroy You'. Beards optional, Earplugs essential!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj_xoeGQ3E4"]This will destroy you - A three-legged workhorse - YouTube[/ame]

10. Princess Haru

11. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Sweeet......

Imma "borrow" the mobility drill. Nice work by the way Harukoharu. Not sure if this is worth anything but your log is one of my sources of motivation :)

12. Princess Haru

Thanks! Motivation can be difficult training alone, I rely on schedule and routine a lot. Should get back into class training soon with the new term about to start.

I've been tidying up my Vimeo site as I go though some video file housekeeping on my PC. Friday I recorded 25 minutes or about 6GB

13. Frodocious

Nice work on that video! :D

14. Princess Haru

Experimenting with some different core exercises I've not done for a while and come across on youtube, bit of a mish mash, interrupted by talking to people....

26/09/2011 - Core & More (1.5 hours)

1. 'Skipping' - 5 minutes (the warm up).
    2. 'Mobility Exercise' - Another 5 minutes. Whole body circles, some bodyweight squats and strides around the room

3. 'Chin ups' - 5 + 5, 4 + 4 + 4, 3 + 3, 2 = 30 (First time I've tried pyramids, seemed to work okay, 10 more reps than I'd usually get in)
    4. 'Push ups' - 10 + 10, 8 + 8 + 8, 6 + 6, 4 = 60 (Possibly could have managed more, used the handle thingys and alternated grip)
    5. 'Power Cleans
    ' - 1 set of 5 reps at 30kg and 35kg, followed each time by Hang Cleans for 5 reps, then 3 sets of 5 reps at 40kg (I could get more out of the movement by doing more hang cleans)
    6. 'Pikes' - 3 sets of 5 reps on Swiss Ball (difficult to get fully up, may switch to the TRX)
    7. 'V-Sit Crunches' - 3 sets of 10 reps on mat (fairly easy)

8. 'Hanging Knee Raises' - 3 sets of 10 reps on Dip Station (hard on the elbows more than anything)
    9. 'Bicycle Crunches' - 3 sets of 50 reps, left/right, on mat (the toughest ab exercise I did all night)

Still doesn't feel like a proper workout, has little intensity, I'm flummoxed. Plus I hit myself in the throat on those chin ups determined that my head fully clear the bar, how embarrassing! :woo:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&feature=relmfu"]Killer Abs Exercise - Pike Roll Out on Fitness Ball - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  15. Princess Haru

Forced myself to go, knowing that sometimes get my best workout when I'm not actually in the mood for it at all. Doesn't make sense.

28/09/2011 - The Trinity SQ/BP/DL (1.5 hours)

1. 'De Franco's Agile 8' - Back rolls to V sits, Fire Hydrants, Mountain Climbers, Groiners, followed by some Arm circles and Lunges
    2. 'Kettlebell Swings' - 1 set of 100 swings with 16kg KB
    3. 'Squats' - 1 set of 10 reps at 20kg, 45kg and 55kg; 4 sets of 5 reps at 65kg (upped my earlier and later weight sets from last week)
    4. 'Bench Press' - 1 set of 10 reps at 20kg; 1 set of 5 reps at 30kg and 35kg; 5 sets of 6 reps at 40kg (though I failed the last rep on the 4th and 5th set, so it was 6, 6, 6, 5, 5)
    5. 'Deadlift' - 1 set of 10 reps at 60kg, 1 set of 5 reps at 85kg and 95kg; then 3 sets of 3 reps at 105kg (mixed grip from 95kg)

Squats felt so so but managed a slight increase in weight. I did have to share the rack for a while. Disappointed not to get the Bench onto 6 reps for full 5 sets, but Deadlift felt fine at 105kg.

16. Frodocious

Your deadlift is great! :) Are you at x2 bodyweight yet?

17. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Its great to see so many in here doing some serious dead-lifting!

18. Princess Haru

My best was 122.5kg at 61.3kg :weightlifter:which was just the smallest fraction off x2 bodyweight which was that competition in July but at the gym I haven't lifted more than 110kg, and 135kg off blocks, which was a glute/ham killer. I'm aiming to strengthen both muscle groups while gradually trying to inch back up towards that weight for reps but in no hurry. My legs feel like jelly today:cry:

19. Princess Haru

Keeping the same format workout to two weeks ago more or less, but with Cambridge being officially the hottest place in the UK at 29C, I was hott :evil:...

30/09/2011 - Lower body (1.5 hours)

1. 'Airdyne' - 5 minutes warmup (between 68 and 75rpm)
    2. 'Foam Rolling' - mostly around the leg and hip area
    3. 'Leg Curls' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 17.5kg (again, maybe a little easier, try 20kg next week)
    4. 'Stiff Leg Deadlifts' - 5 sets of 5 reps with 70kg (superset with next exercise)
    5. 'Single Leg Deadlifts' - 5 sets of 10 reps with 20kg kettlebell (so 5 reps left side, 5 reps right side, could/should have gone heavier)
    6. 'Good Mornings' - 2 sets of 10 reps at 40kg, and another 2 sets at 50kg (this week tried the gym's custom squat safety bar)
    7. 'Glute Bridges' - 3 sets of 10 reps at 70kg (using the stiffer 1.5" bar again, no superset though)
    8. 'Back Extensions' - 3 sets of 10 reps with 15kg plate (slightly easier than last week)
    9. 'Bent Over Rows' - 3 sets of 12 reps with 32.5kg (definately felt easier, maybe step up to 35kg next week)

Really wasn't in the mood with heavy DOMS from the Wednesday session but it was okay. After the Deadlifts was working out with Nigel, the gym manager, so had less rest on some exercises 7-9.

This is fourth week of same routine, thinking of a change in days and structure after next week. Ideas? Now to get my stuff together for today's workout :)

20. Frodocious

Why are you wanting to change your routine? Are you getting bored, are you changing your goals, are you not seeing progress with what you are currently doing or do you have more/see time to train?