HarryF's Log: Posturing Up

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by HarryF, Jul 11, 2013.

1. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Cheers m'dear; I think I'm improving slowly but surely, extra sleep, good hydration, eat well (as usual), keep warm, plenty of rest... Boring but effective! The hardest part is NOT training :(

2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Back to it then!

Sat 7.12.13

12 min brisk walk to gym, warm up usual stuff (neck and thoracic mobility work, quick yoga sun salutations, body weight squats, lunges - front, side and cossack, short duration (10-15s or so) static stretching), plus shoulder dislocations with light bar, wall slide overhead squats

Klokov press to OH squat (paused at bottom)
    4+4 @bar only, 25kg, 30kg

Deadlift
    6@bar, 3@60kg, 70, 80, 90, 100
    1,2,3 @105; 1,2,3 @110; 1,2,3 @115 (all double overhand, rest mixed grip)
    All felt good, went for a PR:
    1x2 @120 (2RM PR)
    1x1 @125 (1RM PR :woo:)
    miss @130 (boo! :mad:)
    3x3 @100

I recorded some of the heavier attempts and will upload to youtube for some form check comments as soon as I work out how to rotate them...

Dip - 6,6,5,5,5

Barbell Row (pendlays)
    5@50kg, 5@55, 3x5 @60

Kroc rows
    15@22kg DB, 15@28, 12+8 @32 (20, but with putting the DB down and re-gripping)

Bench press (it's been a while, I'm working on keeping my wrists straight, I have a tendancy to let the bar force my palms to the sky)
    7@bar, 5@50kg, 5@55, 3x5@60 (stalled on the last rep, re-racked and pushed out two more)

Shoulder 10-10-10 (10 shoulder press, 10 see-saw press, 10 curl to Arnold press)
    3@10kg DBs

Walk home, drink milk, not bad :)

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Well, I've been away for work for about 2 weeks (working weekends as well as weekdays), it's a bit rubbish, but not permanent, so acceptable on balance. Just. We had our xmas dinner yesterday, so today has been relaxed (we're hosting, I'm chef). Time to update the log

I took my gripper set and expanders, and found a gym in each place I was working, one was pretty good (multiple squat racks, plates, bars, chalk), another was ok (one rack, but a light bar (about 10kg?) and I had to round up all the plates to squat, liquid chalk (it was weird)), and one wasn't so good (told me deadlifts and overhead pressing is dangerous, I ended up doing unilateral KB stuff, which wasn't too bad, but outside my normal programme!).

Highlights are:
    4 weights workouts, 2 cable sessions, 4 grip sessions
    I can close my 200lb Heavy Grips gripper with my right hand to the point where it holds a £1 coin (3.15mm away from full closure). Not quite there with the left though ;)
    Deadlift 1RM PR @127.5kg ;) It felt like there is more to come!
    Lots of front squats, maxing at 3@77.5 (I'll hopefully hit 80 (1×BW) on Friday)
    Pronated grip pull ups and dips both up to 6,6,6,6,5 (started at something like 4,3,1,1). When I get to 30 total I'll work towards 3x10
    Military press 5x5@40 (although I'm still leaning back a bit too much on the last few reps - more core tightness!)
    Barbell (Pendlay) rows all comfortable at 5x5@60
    Lots of Kroc rows (I like these)
    Cable front pulls (singles) @3 bands (60kg)
    Cable back press (triples) @4 bands (80)
    Lots of messing with benching, found I quite like DB BP, varying the rotation of the hand a bit (palms towards each other at chest, palms down at extension)
    brought split squats back in to my dead lift workout- feeling it in my external hip rotators
    On Monday I built up to 10x1 (on the minute, every minute) deads @120, first 4 with double overhand grip (grip PR), remainder mixed grip.

I feel pretty good/energetic, my posture is pretty good, getting stronger, not awful to say my routine has been significantly disrupted recently!

4. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Penultimate log of 2013

Thurs 26/12/13
    6 hour walk in the Brecons with parents and better half, colder, snowier and windier than we expected, but had enough tea, Christmas dinner leftover sandwiches and warm clothes to manage. Beautiful views from the top, properly awe inspiring. :)

Fri 27/12/13
    Gym empty ("I'll get fit in the new year"), so I got to stamp around and psyche myself up however I like - apparently rage makes everything feel lighter.

Warm up with brisk 12 minute walk, then:
    Klokov press to paused OH squats (4+4) @20, 25 and 30, with 2x extended sun salutations (includes bend, squat, lunge, twist, push and controlled breathing) between each set.

Front Squat
    3x(bar, 50, 60, 70)
    1, 2, 3 @70, 75, 80 (3RM PR), 2@82.5, 1@85 (1RM PR! Competed one of my 2013 goals :D)
    3×10 @60 (hard work), "21s" (7 bottom half, 7 top half, 7 full reps) @40 (legs about to explode, but felt happy about the PR)

*Pull ups (wide, pronated grip) - 5, 5, 5, 3+2 (short rest), 4
    *OHP 5x5 @40kg (no missed reps, or cheating push presses this time)

Kroc rows - 10@18kg, 10@26, 12+4+4@32 (aim is to get 20 reps with no breaks), 10@34 (bit too much body English on the last few reps. Oh well).

Home, milk, roast ham and cheese sandwiches, chill on the sofa with a cat and the better half. Good day all round, broach the 130k deadlift on Monday and that's 67% of 2013's strength goals accomplished (only need to close the 200lb gripper to get 100%, but I think that'll take a bit longer)

Peace out and pre-emptive happy new year ;)

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Mon 30/12/13

After another weekend of consuming chocolate, cake, roast potatoes, ham, cheese, beer and wine I thought my work capacity would have suffered a little. I think, though, that sleeping until I wake up naturally (no mechanical alarm, only kitty alarm) has balanced it out a bit because I feel pretty good overall. :D

Anyhoo, on with it, I know you're dying to find out how my deadlift goal went! A little patience goes a long way.

Klokov press to OH squat (4+4), 20kg, 25, 30, 35
    Usual yoga based mobility/short duration static stretches in between sets

Deadlift
    I've started turning away from the mirror and making sure I look in the 'neutral' spine direction (down when the bar is on the floor), that and having my shoulders slightly in front of the bar to start, and trying to lift as fast as possible. Thanks to the tips in that other thread! Cheers everyone! Work as follows:
    WU 3x (60, 75 (both double paused), 90, 105)
    2@120 (double overhand)
    2@130 (mixed grip, PR :D)
    I was aiming for a single at 130, but felt the double was there - take that personal goals!
    3×3 @117.5 (new 90%),
    1×8 @60 (messing around with max speed)

*Dip 5x6 now I have totalled 30 I'll try to get these in fewer sets
    *Straight arm dip 5x12 these I've been doing for lower trap development, I think I might drop them from now on, as the same motion is used in full dips, and I can now do more of those with good form. :)
    *Front rack barbell split squats 5x10es @40kg (keeping a high tempo, still feeling the doms from Friday's front squat volume, otherwise would have gone heavier :cry:)

Kroc rows 10@18kg DB, 10@26, 14+6@32, 10@34
    I'm aiming for 20@32, so when I say 14+6 I'm cranking out max reps, not putting the DB down while having up to 5 quick breaths, then carrying on until reaching the desired number.

Bench press 10@bar, 10@40, 3×8@50
    After watching a couple of Dave Tate videos I'm taking my technique right back to the start, although it still doesn't feel particularly natural yet! Oh well, have to move bench up the priority list a bit from now on.

Right then, I guess I have to sit down and work out the next 'big round numbers' to aim towards, probably based on xBW (2x DL, 1.25x front squat, 0.75x OHP, 1× BB Row and bench)
    Or perhaps I should start adding back squats, or try out stronglifts 5x5, starting strength 3x5, or 5/3/1, or something else, who knows!

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Tues 31.12.13
    Gripper
    WU 3@100lbs, spring up, spring down
    WU 3@150lbs, spring up, spring down
    Work: 5x1@200lbs, spring up (no full closes! :cry:)
    5x1@200lbs, spring up, assist close, 10s hold, 10s negative on each rep
    5x5@150lbs, spring up, close, 5s hold, 5s neg on each rep
    1x10@100lbs, spring up +20s hold on final rep.
    Forearm burn

Thurs 2.1.14
    First day messing around with new system, kind of tempted by 531 - increasing waves of weight, a deload week, opportunity for lots of reps in the last set, plus I get to calculate it all in a spreadsheet :thinking:. I'll try it for a bit and see how it goes

Low bar (back) squat
    This is a new pattern for me, so slow learning process for me
    WU 5x (bar, 25kg, 30, 35, 40)
    Work 5@45, 5@50, 15@55

Calculated a working 1RM of 65, will use this for the rest of the weeks while I am still new to the pattern.

Bench
    Focussing on 'staying tight'
    WU 5x (bar, 40)
    Work 5@45, 5@50, 12@55

Calculated Working 1RM of 65. Gots to starts somewhere y'all.

Barbell Rows
    5x (50, 55, 60), 3x5@65
    I think I'll add this in to the 531 protocall from now on (Working 1RM of 75)

Mini circuit:
    *Dips - 8,8,7,7
    *Front split squats - 4x10@45kg

Friday 3.1.14

Ate a lot today as I was a) greedy, and b) expecting to run tonight, but plans changed, so I felt like doing some 'cardio' :woo:.

7 minute run to gym, mini stretch/mobility warm up

3x Circuit 1
    10 Thrusters @40kg
    10 clap push ups
    10 jump squats with 10kg plate

3x Circuit 2
    10x push press (40, 45, 47.5)
    10x double KB swings (2x16kg)
    10x renegade rows (2x16kg DBs)

4x Circuit 3
    10x single leg bent over rows @40kg
    10x upward cable wood chop @'40kg'

3x Circuit 4
    10x suicide planks
    30s front plank
    10s 1 arm es
    10s 1 leg es
    10s 1 arm 1 leg es

Done in 34 minutes

I think my next '531' workout will be press, dead, front squats (all on 531 reps/sets), pull ups (30 total), Kroc rows (still aiming for 20+ @32).

Yes it's lots of pulling, but I'm still working on extending my posture :D

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Sun 5.1.14

Up early and got to the gym when it opened (look who's keen), no one else there so I got to put Meshuggah on the stereo and crank it up a bit :D

Klokov press to OH squat, 4+4, bar only, 2 sets with mobility/sun salutations between.
    Press 5@ bar, 25, 5@30, 5@35, 9@37.5 (pleased with these)
    Deadlift 5@60, 70, 5@77.5, 5@90, 9@102.5 (more cardio!)
    Front squat 5@bar, 5@40, 5@52.5, 5@60, 8@67.5 (last two were a real grind)
    Pull ups (wide, pronated grip, I struggled with these today) 5, 3 +2 negatives, 1+4 neg, 1+4 neg. Maybe I need to swap these to the other workout as my lats were pretty fatigued after deads, and upper back after front squats.
    Kroc rows - 10@18, 14+6@26 (struggled with these too, boo)

75 min yoga class, nice relaxing Hatha class, plenty of breath awareness and some challenging poses in the middle, nice and meditative!

Sunday roast at the local after - "of course I would like all three meats with my roast!". Rare beef, pork belly (with cracking) and half chicken (not dry!), roasties, parsnips, cheesy leeks, garlic greens... We'll be going back there again :)

Sleep on the sofa in the afternoon with the cat, read in the evening, why can't every day be like this?

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Had a thought the other day - I bet most of the 'views' are me checking what I've done in previous sessions... Oh well, it serves as an outlet for some of my ramblings if nothing else!

Tuesday 7.1.14 (531 cycle 1, workout A, step 2 (the '3' week))

Squat (back, low bar)
    3 warm up sets, 3x45, 3x52.5, 16x57.5 (still learning the pattern, making sure I get depth with enough knee-shove-out and ****-shove-back to maintain neutral lumbar, tight shoulders, big chest, etc, feels OK so far)

Bench
    3 warm up sets, 3x45, 3x52.5, 16x57.5 (got a spot from one of the guys in the gym, it was OK, bit awkward, he was alright at racking and un-racking, but 'helped' on the 17th rep (which I didn't think I needed), so I called it a day there and didn't count the 17th)

Barbell Row (the contrarian in me doesn't want to call them 'Pendlays', but they are the same...)
    2 warm up sets, 3x52.5, 3x60, 7x67.5 (this might be a more realistic working weight, and I might be a bit light on squats and bench, but better starting light than stalling early!)

Circuit thingy, just to reduce time taken
    *Pull ups - 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 1 (better than post-deads last time, definitely keep them in this workout and put dips back in t'other)
    *Front rack split squats (work those stablisers) - 10@40, 4x10@42.5

Wed 8.1.14

Strand pulling:
    Goblet squat - swap the handle from one foot to the other half way through each set 8@80, 3x5@100

Front pull - 3@40, 3@60 (hands slightly above shoulders, so a little cheating, but not a huge amount :D), 5x5@40 strict

Back press - 5@40, 3@60, attempt @80, shoulders collapse before press, so not going to happen today, 5x5@60

Pull down - palms in, 3@40, 5@60 (just!), 5x5@40

I was tempted to squeeze the grippers, but I'll be deadlifting tomorrow and wanted to save myself!

Laters potaters :)

Also, future Harry - Whether you think you need to or not, buy more milk

9. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Posted from my phone, apologies for poor formatting etc

Thus 9.1.14

531 cycle 1, workout B, step 2, warm up sets excluded

Press - 3x32.5, 3x37.5, 8x40
    DL - 3x85, 3x95, 11x107.5 (went for it, grunted out the last 3)
    Front squat - 5x10@60
    Dips - 5x6
    Kroc rows - 10x18, 10x26, 20x32 pr (yay! More next time), 5x38

Pretty happy with that :)

10. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Sat 11.1.14

531 c1.A.3 (5/3/1 week)
    1a Squat - 5x50, 3x55, 11x62.5
    1b Pull ups - 5,5,5*,5,5* *=supinated grip

2a Bench - 5x50, 3x55, 7x62.5 (no spotter, didn't want to get stuck! )
    2b Pendlay Rows - 5x10 @60

3a KB goblet lunges - 5x10es @24kg KB
    3b up cable chop - 5x10es @"30"kg

Coming on nicely :)

11. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Curious to know....why did you choose the 5/3/1 program? You're mixing conditioning work in as well? Is that ok?

Just aksin' as I am thinking of doing some strength training later in the year and looking at 5/3/1, SS etc.

There's a gym literally 1 minute walk from my house, but money is seriously tight at the moment. Also, a "friend" owns and runs a gym that specializes in that kinda stuff and I am thinking of going there so I can get some pointers. I should take advantage of these things while I can.

12. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

if you're new to lifting, dont use 5/3/1. it relies on percentage of a max
    go with starting strength or some other program. personally i dont like starting strength. i think Westside for skinny bastards is better

13. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Hi Boris,

I like 5/3/1 as it focuses on the lifts I want to get better at (dead, (back) squat, press, bench), includes assistance/hypertrophy work (optional exercises - allows me to keep pulls ups, dips, front squats, barbell rows and Kroc rows), and gives the opportunity to get lots of reps in on the last set if you feel like it. It was also possible to do this over a two-workout split, with lots of rowing/pulling (extension to help counteract my desk/car based working life induced kyphotic posture).

Conditioning is included but variable depending on goals - my focus is on strength, so I play conditioning a bit by ear, with regular (3x per week) gentle running (I am still doing c25k with my better half), and sporadic 'cardio' barbell/KB circuits and complexes. The aim with the conditioning is that it doesn't detract from the strength workouts, and so far that has been OK but I may need to regularise my conditioning programming soon.

It does mean that you need to know your maxes in order to work %ages from, and if (like me) your press max is small, then there will be a lot of 'rounding to the nearest 2.5kg'. But meh, whether you think you can or can't do something, you are probably right.

Also, I am experimenting with frequency and deload (currently = high frequency, no deload, just start the next cycle of '5s' after the 5/3/1 workouts), and, at the moment, as I am still a beginner, I am working out every other day (7 per fortnight - changing a system to suit an individual - heresy!).
    Recovery has been fine so far, as I massively increased my food (particularly protein - mmm, meat, eggs, cheese and milk) intake, meaning that I can benefit from the beginner joy of quick recovery = more frequent sessions = faster progress.

Today will be 5/3/1 on press and deads; each time I set myself a goal (today will be 3 reps on the '1+' set, if I feel like 5, then fine, but no more than that) for the 'X+' set, and, if I meet the goal, continue the higher frequency/no deload. If I feel I can only make the prescribed reps, then (to my mind) it means I need do decrease the frequency; if I'm at the point of 2 workouts per week and I only make the prescribed reps, then I need to add a deload week, or sleep more, or eat more, or all of those.

It's not the simplest system, and requires you to know your 1RM (or 3RM) on each lift so you can work off the %ages, and if you do it properly (unlike me), working weight progress will be slower, buuuut, you don't always have to work near your max to get stronger.

If you're just starting out, then probably something simple like Stronglifts 5x5 could suit you well, provided you have no specific issues (rehab for an injury, postural issues, significant muscular imbalance - don't worry, if you don't know that you do, then you probably don't ;)). It's simple, frequent, lots of squatting, only need to learn 5 exercises, with easy measurable progression.

If you know somewhere you can workout for a reduced cost (or get useful tips for a beginner), then by all means take advantage of that, but (as you've probably found) if you ask 10 people 'what the best workout to do xxx?', then you'll probably get 10 different answers :rolleyes:

My advice (sorry dude, you (kind of) asked for it) would be to find something simple, with measurable progression, that involves big, compound movements with free weights, 2-3 times per week, that you are likely to stick with (regularly!) for at least 3 months (ideally longer).

Make sure you learn (or get someone to teach you) proper form through full range of motion so you get max benefits with reduced likelihood of injury, and please include squats (front, high bar, low bar, whatever) and deadlifts as these are awesome and make you awesome.

Other than those two, if you try to include all the 'primal movements' somewhere in your exercise (doesn't all have to be in the gym), then you should be on to a winner.

If money means you can't do the weights thing, then Ross Enamait has lots of good ideas for cheap/bodyweight stuff, but I found that the ritual of going to a specific place (gym) to do a specific task (lift things), with easily measurable progress (things get heavier) has helped a lot with my consistency.

Cheers,
    Harry

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Mon 13.1.14

531 c1.B.3

Warm up/mobility stuff
    Excluding warm up sets:
    Press - 5x35, 3x37.5, 6x42.5 (the 7th was quite wonky, so doesn't count)
    Deadlift - 5x90, 3x102.5, 5x115 (DOH on first 3, mixed for last 2, I probably had 2 reps left in the tank)
    Dips in between dead sets - 5x6 (sets of 7 next time)
    Front squats - 5x10 @60kg (this is 75% of training max, these were pretty hard last time, easier this time, but by no means easy... Yet! :evil:)
    Kroc rows - 10@18, 10@26, 22@32 (actually 25, but the last 3 reps were made of suck, so don't count)

These all felt pretty good, so on Wednesday I restart the cycle with a '5 week' for each workout, and the lower body training maxes increased by 5kg, the upper body maxes increased by 2.5kg. Oooo, progress!

I should probably get back to doing some martial arts at some point... :rolleyes:

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Tues 14.1.14
    Gripper
    warm up with 100lb and 150lb full closes, spring up and down
    5x1 attempts @200lbs - close but still no cigar :)cry:), right hand closer than the left
    10x1 assist, 5s hold, 10s neg @200lbs
    5x8 full closes @150 with 15s hold on final rep, left hand lagging behind a bit in final few reps.

Foam roll and baseball those glutes and legs from all the squats, ready for more squats tonight.

Observations:
    1) All this 'recovery eating' is becoming a bit too much like work, but I have told myself I'll do it until the end of March (and re-evaluate then), so do it I will.
    2) Anger is useful for heavy reps, as is mental anchoring (e.g. imagine your spouse (or, even more extreme - cat) is trapped and you have to deadlift that thing to save them. 7 times.)
    3) I have also not said a word to others in the gym this year, during workouts, other than 'mind if I work in'. Hopefully it is cultivating better focus and (maybe) intensity.
    4) Posture is pretty good most of the time without thinking about it too much, including at my desk and in the car - regular shoulder, back, neck and (unexpectedly) ankle pain has pretty much ceased - thanks correct hip alignment! :)

16. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Weds 15.1.14

Warm up - mobility yoga, Klokov press + OH squat (4+4) @bar only, x2, 2nd time presses from in the hole.

531 c2.A.1, warm up sets excluded, all weights in kg

1a Squat - 5x47.5, 5x55, 17x62.5 (maybe had 2 more, but this was more endurance at this point)
    1b Pull Ups - 5,5*,4+1,4+1*,4+1 *=supinated grip, 4+1 = 4 good ones, 1 rubbish, 1 jump up+hold+slow negative

2a Bench - 5x45, 5x50, 10x57.5 (had 2-3 more reps, but no spotter so didn't want to get pinned :rolleyes:)
    2b Pendlay rows - 5x10 @60 the last few reps of each set were a bit cheaty, so I think I'll drop the weight to 50 and make sure form is better, and try to treat it as 'assistance/hypertrophy' work rather than just lifting the heaviest thing I can...

3 Goblet lunges, @26kg DB - 5x10es (these sucked monkey scrota)

Whole workout including warm up took 50 minutes, but it really hammered my adductors, so I think for this workout I need to add side and Cossack lunges to the warm up.

Home, pint of blue milk (full fat/4%), finished cooking the roast chicken I put in the oven before heading out, eat some of said chicken and assemble lunch for tomorrow to make colleagues (most of whom are starving themselves in the belief that it's healthy) jealous. Cos I'm nice like that :D

17. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

All you need now is a patch saying "Lone Gunman" :D

18. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I've certainly got the John Wayne walk for it right now :cry:

19. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Thanks for all the info Harry. Great post and much appreciated.

I think I'm gonna go with SS, although not sure to go with the original program or one of the ones that include chin ups or whatever.

As for specific problems...Yeah, got a ton of them. Don't all martial artists? :D
    It's something I have to be careful about. Last time I started doing weights, I did some deadlifts, stupidly light ones to work the technique, and put my back out for months.

I am not planning on lifting for a few weeks, so I am doing a lot of core work, flexibility and mobility work along with my bodyweight and running to (possibly) help out.

I am wondering if I shouldn't actually follow the program exactly at first, it might be better to practice the lifts with a lighter weight and see how I do. Then hit the program and the recommended weights/%ages if everything seems ok.

20. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

No problem mate, what's the point in learning and discovering if you don't share with those who want to listen! Of course I'm still a beginner and learning a lot myself, so nowt I write is gospel, just what I've picked up so far :)

I'm not sure of the difference between the variants of SS, the main thing is to pick one you think you'll stick with, and try to resist the temptation of adding lots of extra exercises in at the beginning (I didn't do this - but it's counterintuitive not to feel tired at the end of a workout) - although the weights are light, you are learning (or re-learning) a skill / motor pattern for each lift, so treat all the light ones with as much focus, 'tightness' and intensity that you can muster - it'll make it more natural when things get heavier.

If you're apprehensive about adding weight (understandable after a back injury - I had a minor one at the end of September, post #59 here - took 2 weeks off and re-started deadlifting with very conservative form and taking 25% off my previous max), you could take the SS workouts/exercises/sets/reps, but starting each with the empty bar as the working weight for the first workout (a la SL5x5). This could give you lots of extra time to learn the pattern before things start approaching 0.75x-1x bodyweight.

So, take squats, starting with the empty bar (20kg) and adding 2.5kg each time (if your gym has 1.25kg plates), you get to 60kg (which, for me, was the point I started to appreciate having solid form) at the 17th workout, meaning that, by then, you will have done 250-300 reps (depending on number of warm up sets) with good intention, tightness and focus on form meaning that 60 is just the next natural step in the progression using a pattern (motor engram) that you have embedded pretty well - happy days, right?

Hmm, deadlifts and back problems... There's that (slightly meathead-like) saying "the exercise is great, it's you that suck". Although I don't prescribe to this for every scenario, it certainly applied to me:
    When I tweaked my back during a deadlift (can't have been too serious, as it only took 2 weeks to get better) it was due to a combination of weakness initiated by previous fatigue (which I should have spotted), and not warming up properly (which I should have known). By warming up I don't just mean 'elevated heart rate, gentle sweat', I mean nervous system ('getting fired up') and movement pattern priming.

Nowadays I tend to use an extended sun-salutation (which includes extra twists/thoracic bridge) for mobility, coupled with overhead squats and Klokov press (wide grip, behind the neck press) for mobility/stability combined.
    For my deadlift warm up sets I start with the empty bar but don't put it down between reps - just lower to the point it will start at later (top of my socks), pause there, back up, stay tight! You could do the same thing with gradually increasing weight, but I tend to go to 60kg for the next 'regular' set off the floor. I have been considering including standing broad jumps as an extra 'nervous system activation' technique, but that's a whole other story!

You don't have to jump straight back in to regular deadlifting, I saw this article on T-nation about hip-hinging (which is primarily what the top 2/3 of a deadlift is), and I think it looks like a great way of preparing for deadlifts.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/7-ways-to-hack-your-hip-hinge

You could try some/all of those. You could also try starting your deadlift using the empty bar, but using the bottom bar of a squat cage (or blocks or something to put the bar at the same height as the 20kg/standard plates) to pull from the right height, otherwise with the lighter weights you would be bending further over, potentially introducing a higher risk of lumbar flexion under load (which has a high correlation with low back injuries).

I'm presuming there is a reason that you aren't going to start your weights programme now? That's cool; if you can find some ways of preparing for or mimicking the movements you'll be doing, along with your bodyweight stuff (I'm sure you know this, but include pulling as well as pushing) mobility and core work (I'm sure you know this too, but remember the core has sides and back as well as front ;)), then you should be well on the way :)

If you're looking for videos on deadlift (and corrective deadlift) form, then Elliot Hulse's Strengthcamp youtube channel has lots of useful information.

This has turned in to quite a rambling essay, oh well :rolleyes: