HarryF's Log: Posturing Up

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by HarryF, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

my legs got bigger but at the same time i got weaker :p

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

doesnt matter, got quads!

3. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

You both put forward a strong argument, thanks coaches!
    I'll have to see how my number of available decisions goes over the next few weeks (when I expect to be finishing the first cycle of my current programme for deads and push press).

Wednesday
    8 hours of driving for a 2 hour meeting. Didn't feel productive although I know it was. Way too much sitting down, other people in the service station car parks must have wondered why a guy in a suit was doing push ups, jumping bodyweight squats and lunges. Take *that* sedentary culture!

Home thingy:
    5 sets of shoulder and arm pump, basically a DB superset of: curl to Arnold press, normal press (DBs down to head height at the lowest), then curls. It's essentially a mechanical drop set where each exercise is amrap to 9rpe, with 30s maximum rest between sets.
    Reps went:
    20/8/12, 18/5/8, 17/3/8, 15/4/6, 12/3/5

Go epic beach pump!

4. Fish Of Doom

re: olympic lifting: if you are sufficiently tempted, i would recommend you start doing a ton of paused snatch deadlifts (ie deadlifts using the positions of the snatch pull, rather than just the snatch grip) and snatch pulls and high pulls. learn that correctly and it will all be a piece of cake (i share an opinion i first heard from glenn pendlay, which is that if you can snatch, you can oly lift; imo it's easier and more effective to learn the pulls using snatching first, because the bar's contact area is fixed at the hip crease whereas on the clean it depends on your proportions, grip width and degree of elbow flexion).

here's a doodle i made a while back on snatch pulling: https://instagram.com/p/y2A1MkJAvQ/

the important parts are the starting position (1), the transitions from 1 to 3 and 3 to 4, and your posture at 4, always keeping the bar close* (LATS LATS LATS), and putting yourself basically in a jumping position (you press the bar to your hips, stand up violently, taking the bar with you, and then pull yourself under while reversing the motion so that the bar keeps rising but you descend).

*the russians and other ex-soviets tend to let it drift past the kneecap and then bring it back violently towards the power position, usually (i've tried this from the hang and it's insanely powerful, but it doesn't come naturally when pulling from the floor). most others that i've seen slide it up the thigh instead. still all done via strong lat contraction.

here is a crapton of videos that show it in action :p :

lidia valentin snatching: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VKrwd0-fqI"]Lydia Valentin - 105kg & 115kg Snatch Comparison - YouTube[/ame]

her clean for comparison: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQncxXAlBFE"]Lydia Valentin (-75kg, Spain) - 147kg Clean & Jerk - YouTube[/ame]

ilya ilyin snatching (note the soviet style no contact between knee and power position): [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItOU929qDgk"]Ilya Ilyin - 183kg/190kg Snatches - YouTube[/ame] [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAhulfFggFw"]Ilya Ilin 160kg Snatch Full Speed Plus Slow Motion Bar Path - YouTube[/ame]

lu xiaojun doing a snatch high pull: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lny5dF4z228"]Lu Xiaojun 180kg Fast Snatch Pull - London Olympics - YouTube[/ame]

lu xiaojun snatching: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7vFzCD6DWQ"]Lu Xiaojun New WR 176Kg WWC Poland 2013 in 120fps Slow Mo - YouTube[/ame]

apti aukhadov snatching (there's the russian thing again): [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suU0PUMUDOU"]Apti Aukhadov (-85, Russia) - Snatch Analysis - YouTube[/ame]

aukhadov doing pulls AND snatches during a seminar: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U629FivwRg"]Apti Aukhadov Seminar (Training Highlights) : 15/2/2015 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  5. Mangosteen

I totally agree with fish on doing snatch deadlifts, pulls and high pulls.
    The snatch positions are something worth drilling a lot.
    I prefer the chinese pull (like lydia valentin but with a pronounced knees pushed out during until the bar is past the knees then rowing of the bar like lu xiaojun once the bar gets to power position)

Also if you get oly shoes practice squat jerks rather than cleans. nothing will teach you the accuracy and timing needed to pull under the bar than snatch high pulls and squat jerks.

6. Fish Of Doom

snatch balances/drop snatches/whatever you want to call them are also pretty good. done with a big dip and drive and a narrower grip they're basically BTN squat jerks.

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Stop it! Foul temptresses of new, exciting lifts!

Friday gym

one armed overhead paused split squat for warm up

Push press (from power clean) - 5x40, 4x50, 2x60, 1x65, 4x70 (boom), 4x67.5, 4x62.5

Chins - 5,5,5,4,4,4,4

Front squat (deload after pr) - 5x40, 5x60, 5x70, 8x80, 8x75, 8x70

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Saturday beastfit class at the gym

Back squat - 50 total reps with 60kg. Did 20,20,10
    Bench - 50 reps with 60kg. Did 10, 10, 8, 8, 5, 5, 4
    10 burpees
    10 reps of 'pick your partner up turn around 180 degrees, put them down again' kind of like a suplex from double under, but without the back arch and slam.

Front squat, 35 reps with 60kg. Did 10,10,8,7
    Bench, 35 reps with 70kg. Did 4. Went back down to 60. Did 8,8,8,7,4
    10 burpees
    10 partner pickups (as before)

Overhead squat, 20 reps with 50kg. Did 4x5
    Bench, 20 reps with 65kg. Did 5,5,5,8 :D
    10 burpees

All done.
    I did a bit extra afterwards:
    Curls 3x20 x 10kg dbs
    Lateral raises 3x20 x 4kg dbs
    Straight arm cable lat pull down 3x20 x about 35kg on the stack

Mission Burrito after :)

9. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

That's a nasty combination back to back like that.

10. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Yep, it didn't help that my partner weighs about 105kg... Plus, the room gets so hot during these workouts that I had to step outside for about a minute after the '35' round. No puking, but it still wasn't pleasant...

Sunday
    About 4 hours walking at Corfe Castle and along the coast near Swanage (it's dead nice)

Home recovery workout:

Bunch of foam rolling (glutes, upper back, lats, arm pits, adductors)
    Paused split squats (arms overhead, no weight) - 3x3es, 10 second pause
    Strict front pull with strands (40kg) - 3x8 with a good squeeze at full extension.
    Push ups, pause at the bottom - 10,8,6,4,2
    Gripper - sets of 12-15 with the 150lb, sets of 2 and 3 with the 200lb :D

11. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Monday kali class
    Single stick, long and medium range basics, put them together for the students who got it, keep it simple for the others :)
    You know that saying "in every group of friends there's one who's a bit of a plonker, and if there isn't one in your circle, it's you!". Well, the same thing applies to martial arts classes and oafs*. If there isn't one in your group, it's you! Well it's definitely not me.

*That Guy who hits too hard when drilling, cranks every lock when you're letting him get it, smashes you with his stick when you're letting him disarm you, not listening, can't do the basics but just does something else and often too hard... Don't be That Guy.

I have patience, but it is not infinite...

Tuesday gym
    Warm up with plate swings (20kg), overhead paused split squats (same plate), windmills (ditto)

Press - 7x20, 6x30, 4x40, 2x50, 10x45, 10x42.5, 10x40
    Chins - 7x3 (easy volume/'pull' innervation)
    Deadz - 3x70dp, 2x100, 1x120, 1x140 (DOH grip pr), 1x160 (hook from here), 5x155 (dead stop, 9rpe), 5x147.5, 5x140
    Repmax calculator says 180.8kg - this is exciting!

Assistance
    Circuit
    Squat - 10x40, 10x60, 10x80, 8x100
    One arm row - 4x8es x38kg
    Lateral raise - 4x20x4kg dbs (pink weights, what you staring at?)
    Curls - 20x10s, 20x8s, 2x20x6s
    /circuit
    More squats - 3,2,2,2,1@100kg (10 reps in 2.5 minutes)
    Paused front squats - 2x5x60, 10s pause

All done in 75 minutes, short rest periods, lots of sweat and heavy breathing.

The plan is to continue in this manner until the end of March (3 months on one programme - go me), then consider what to do next... Maybe something based on low reps/high density, perhaps working in some of these paused snatch deadlifts, and maybe squat jerks...

Got home, had to eat jam on toast while I cooked eggs, which I ate while I cooked steak, which rested while I drank milk/protein shake, finished steak and cheeky beer after. I'll sleep well tonight!

12. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Through the week: whole load of stretching, walking, foam rolling, bodyweight stuff, gripper, strands etc.

Saturday morning:
    breakfast - 4 eggs, protein shake with milk, cup of tea
    2hrs kali training with a private student, pretty energetic :)D)
    Straight to gym after, should have eaten more carbs at breakfast, high rep squatting was unsatisfactory in a depleted state.
    Push press - 3x40, 3x50, 2x60, 1x70, 1x75, 3x72.5, 3x70, 3x65. Test max next time.
    Pull ups - 8x5. Start sets of 6 next time (should probably follow my own advice, right?)
    Front squat - 3x40p, 3x60p, 3x70p, 2x80, 2x90, 8x85, 5+3x80 (rest paused. More glycogen needed), 6+2x75

Felt pretty beaten up, minimal assistance:
    Squat - 3x10x60
    Farmers walk - 3x20m, 40kg in each hand

Nice day this afternoon so did some stuff in the garden :)

Ice cream and doughnuts are helping redress the balance

13. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Monday kali class
    2 hrs of double stick basics for a physical and mental challenge. High quality basics >> mediocre advanced stuff

Tuesday gym
    Press - 8x20, 8x30, 5x40, 2x50, 1x55, 9x47.5, 9x45, 9x42.5
    Chins - 3x4, 5x3
    Deads - 3x70 paused snatch positions (lats lats lats above the knee), 2x100 regular, 1x120, 1x140 (DOH), 1x150 (hook grip from here), 4x160 (dead stop), 4x150, 4x140
    Old 1rm is now 4rm :D

Assistance circuit
    Squat (high bar, narrow stance, knees forward, atg) - 10x40p, 10x60, 8x70, 6x80, 4x90
    DB Curl - 4x8x14s
    Lateral raises - 4x8x6s
    /circuit
    More Squat - 5x2x100 in 3m40s

45 minute walk with The Better Half, it was refreshing and energising :)

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Wednesday
    35 minute walk with The Better Half

Home circuit 1, all DB movements paused at weak point for 5 seconds, fast concentric, slow eccentric:

DB press - 3x10 x10kg
    2 arm row (with controlled thoracic flexion/extension) - 3x10x10kg
    Kneelin ab roller (it's sprung, so paused at full extension) - 3x5
    Hammer curl - 3x10x10kg
    Bent over curl (peak contraction at greater flexion) - 3x6x10kg

Home circuit 2, all one arm DB stuff:
    1 arm ohp, short pause - 3x8x16.5kg
    1 arm row, short pause - 3x20x16.5kg
    1 arm oh split squat, 10 second pause - 3x3x16.5kg

Killer finish, 30s rest between sets
    Constant tension goblet squats (no lock out, no stretch reflex) - 3x20x16.5kg

Awful/awesome leg pump. Got to get quads :D

15. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Thursday gym
    Push press max day :D
    Push press (from power clean) - 4x1x40, 2x1x50, 2x1x60, 1x70, 1x75, 1x80, 1x82.5, 2x75, 2x70
    2.5kg power clean pr, 5kg push press pr :D

Chins - 8,7,6,5,4,4,4

Front squat - 5x40p, 5x50p, 3x60p, 2x70p, 1x80, 1x90, 1x95, 5x90, 5x85, 5x80

A bit 'meh' on front squats, but I'm pretty happy with the chins volume and overhead pr!

Assistance superset, minimum rest (about 10 breaths at most)
    Squat - 4x8x80
    Farmers walk - 4x20m, 40kg in each hand

Beach work:
    Curl to Arnold press - 10,8,6,5,5,4 with 14kg DBs

16. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Want quads? Learn plie and releve from all 5 positions (ballet-jazz and others have their own position systems) and on one foot, at and away from the barre. That plus squats have given me way bigger/stronger quads than I had in college. :cool::hat:

17. Mangosteen

my danced and taught ballet professionally and neither he nor anyone he danced with had particularly large quads.
    my godmother is involved with rehabbing and preventing ballet injuries and they've decided (with physios) that weight training also with other exercises to improve muscle mass (obviously with less intense training) will probably keep many dancers out of harm.

not saying ballet isnt worthy exercise but it certainly isnt the best way to get huge quads.

18. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Thanks sharing, mate. :) To each his own! :hat: I've just noticed that guys who get good at grand allegro, lifts, and other such difficult things develop big quads. I just assumed most dancers didn't have time for weights and focused on bodyweight training. Cheers!

19. Mangosteen

most dancers focus on dancing!
    theres also a serious problem among male dancers in that they dont really enough to get huge despite the volume of training.

ballet is probably one of the things i'd go to learn better jump or turn mechanics, flexibility and balance (many pro-sport athletes have begun privately going to dancers for this stuff).

20. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Thanks for the suggestion Matvei, but I'm with Mascarenhas on this one. The reason I want big quads is so I can squat big weights, and as I can get bigger quads by squatting bigger weights I think I'll keep going along this route.

It's that thing where I could make my legs bigger using leg extensions and leg curls, and then afterwards practice using my bigger legs to squat by squatting again, but as I can practice squatting AND make my quads bigger at the same time, it makes sense to squat...