Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by BoxBabaX, Nov 18, 2005.

1. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

Of course everyone was waiting for this thread to be made :D, the movie came out today, i havent seen it yet, but i cant wait!! :D

2. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

me neither ! i resisted harry potter for so long but now im hooked :D

3. Playful Giant

Playful Giant Banned Banned

Me too. I've been trying to avoid all the trailers so as to be more surprised when I see it.

Can't wait to see Voldemort...

4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Dazed & Confused

I'm leaving work in about half an hour to go and see it at 17.20.

:D :D :D :D

5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I absolutely hate Harry Potter… no offence die hard fans.. and to my annoyance, I have to go watch it tomorrow, with my mate Dave who shares my pain, and two other friends who are fans.. I somehow got duped in to this.. anyway, me and Dave are gonna get drunk before going in to the cinema. Do you think if we get a bit rowdy we may get attacked by crazy fans with broomsticks?

A funny thing happened to me recently. I was walking to Tottenham Court Rd tube station at around 00:15 on a Friday night. I saw a big fat line of people queuing up for something. I figured they were trying to get in to a club. Upon closer observation I noticed a large portion of these people were dressed up as witches and such. As I walked past the origin of the queue I noticed it was the release of a Harry Potter book… I laughed all the way to the train.. and when I got on the train I noticed that half the people on there were feverishly digging in to brand new copies of their Harry Potter books.. this is on a Friday night… I laughed again.. anyway if you see two drunk guys laughing during this weekends Harry Potter screening please don’t silence us with spells or broomsticks..

:D

6. DangerMouse

Just got back.

Good film - missed quite a bit out as expected to fit the story into one film, but all in all I still enjoyed it.

Anyway, grown-up stuff now calls - to the pub (probably to talk about Harry Potter ;) )

7. Visage

Visage Banned Banned

Massive Thumbs DOWN!!!

I saw the film last night at half 10 (perks of working at the cinema - private viewings of new movies :cool: )

I HATED IT!!

I love the books, and i enjoy the films. But this film ruined EVERYTHING. The books, the past films, and future films. The screen play felt like it had been written by someone who had never read the book, just a 4 year olds school report on it.
    I could have forgiven everything in the film but for 2 points:

1) Sirius Black. One of my favourite characters, and you dont even see him in it!!

2) Dumbledore becomes a loser. He's cowardly, he gets angry and shouts. At one point he grabs Harry around the throat and holds him against a wall while shouting at him. I always pictured dumbledore as the elderly wizard versoin of Fonzie, (and Richard Harris was great as that RIP), but I had reservations about Michael Gambon in POA, but now he has killed the character.

Dont see this movie. Its terrible.

I just hope "Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe" and "King Kong" can rekindle the season for movie goers everywhere.

:(

8. DangerMouse

Yes, Dumbledore is a bad casting decision. Richard Harris was the best actor for him, but he's gone. C'est la vie.

The movie - yeah, it was crap compared to the book, but name me one film that was better than the book and I'll agree with you.

I wish they had made more of some parts of the story than others, but I enjoyed the whole experience.

Well worth seeing :)

9. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

there isnt one full stop.

im going to see it at 6pm today and, as someone who hasnt read the books, hope i can judge i on its own meirt

10. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

I thought it was great :D

11. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I thought it was excellent. Not as good as the book but you aren't ever going to get as good as them in the confines of a film. And you do see Sirius, when he talks to Harry through the fire.

12. seiki juku kid

seiki juku kid New Member

aaaaaaaaaaaah 'King Kong' is going to be SOOOOOOOOO great!!!!! Peter Jackson won't let us down!!!

13. Giver

Giver New Member

Yeah, definitely a great movie, but they left SO much out. Lots of important stuff to. Not really important to plot, I don't think, but it's still really important for a full understanding of the story. *sigh*

I think sooner or later they're going to make this longer than 2 hours and some.

14. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

what i want to know is where does he go at the end of the film?

at the end of the 3rd film he had no step family and sirius had made a hasty exit! then at the end of this one he just strolls off in to the distance!

lol i enjoyed it bar a few minor things

15. mylo1616

mylo1616 New Member

do they ever make movies which have a break half-way because they are longer?
    because thats what they have to do for movies like Harry Potter.

I think the man who plays Dumbledore played in Lord Of The Rings and I thought he was excellent there. But hey I haven't seen the movie yet.

The adverts look encouraging and the last Harry Potter movies were great so I'm going to see it regardless.

King Kong looks great too, when I saw the trailer it was marvelous and I'm not into hairy apes

16. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I have booked a "Gallery Experience" for this Thursday at 8pm at me local cinema. This means a very large seat, nachos, popcorn and lots of cola. I have just finished rereading the book - but I am not expecting it to be anything like my imagination/book.

Will let you know what I thought when I get back :)

17. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Overall I really liked it, but the contraints of making such a big book (packed with so many neat details) into a 2hr (or so) movie took a lot away and actually seemed a bit rushed. A lot of little things got dropped (even that dumb house elf that I didn't like anyway).

The new director really changed the feel of the movie as well... a bit less "bright and fantastic" in the sets and costumes. All in all though, I do love the movies so far and look forward to all of them.

The books are just so much better though!

18. BoxBabaX

BoxBabaX H+F Baba ^^

The man who played the role Dumbledore in the first 2 potter movies was Richard Harris, who sadly passed away. I thought he was excellent for the role, and the man who played Dumbledore for the last 2 movies is Michael Gambon, not Ian McKellen who plays Gandalf in Lord of the Rings.