Harry Cook Charged With Seven Counts of Sexual Assault

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Kogusoku, May 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Look, it wasnt 1, 2, 3,.....it was seven cases. This means he has done this to 6 other victims before he got caught.

INEXCUSABLE

What is the purpose of this thread?
    These things are done by many martial art teachers, the news is filled with them.

Oh, now its about a well-known, and we can't voice our disgust and put up degrading photos of someone who has degraded martial artists, and worse-his victims.

P.L.E.A.S.E. Cry me a river.

Sorry folks. I was a counselor for troubled youth, and the horror. The victims are scared for life.

I cannot be "sensitive"

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  2. 47MartialMan

Per my post #21

HC wasn't "accused allegedly"

HC did not run a traffic signal

HC did not accidently kill someone and on a "manslaughter charge"

HC SEXUALLY ASSAULTED 7 PEOPLE

What if one of those was a loved one of yours.

3. righty

righty Valued Member

Not he didn't. He is charged with 7 counts - the don't have to involve different victims each time.

4. 47MartialMan

OK> Seven counts. Whats with the other 6?

Whatever.

1 count wasn't enough...:eek:

5. Guyin

Guyin Old Cynic

I'm all for 'going for the throat', and frankly don't have any problem reading any comments about this particular story. What is more interesting is other peoples 'feelings' and post replies when an issue like this arises....

The guy is an **** for sure (IMO has been for a long while) but this event is short on facts and long on accusations....

Sexual assault in the UK can be defined as many things, some far less 'heinous' than others: persistent and unwarranted contact with a woman's breast whilst groundwork/grappling fits the bill nicely.

However, aside from the usual irony, sarcasm and general 'hang 'im' attitude in the posts I reckon it's smarter to wait until the facts are known before really sending him to the dogs.

6. Happy Feet Cotton Tail

Happy Feet Cotton Tail Valued Member

You must have made a great Counselor then!

Don't try and justify your crass attitude towards what's happened with moral indignation. It's not working.

You feel angry at what's happened? You feel angry at the Molester? FINE! But you've been told twice, shut your mouth, this is not the thread for it.

If you want to blow steam about this issue, go do it somewhere where people will actually listen.

7. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Have I said he didn't do what he's admitted to? Have I defended him?

Have I said anything about him?

No I've commented on your attitude towards the issue. So quit trying to make strawmen to justify your childish antics.

An issue which has a wider span than simply the accused, charged, convicted or whatever he might be right now.

You've shown sod all consideration for everyone else involved and simply used it to try for a cheap laugh. So get off your high horse and grow up a bit.

8. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

So just what is this thread for? I don't really see there is any discussion to have.

9. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

You're right in that there may not be much discussion to have. All we ask is that those who want to comment on it don't drag it down to a crass level. I hope I can speak for everyone when I say that those of us who are refraining from expressing ourselves in that manner still have the same feelings about this subject as those who aren't.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Maybe if there was a post to thank just to show disapproval of HC's actions not just as a man but as a martial arts instructor

11. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

You could thank Kogu's original post?

As I see it, the most important thing is to get the information out there. If there are any other victims and they come across this, finding out that they are not alone may be of help to them.

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't know of Harry Cook's work, but I understand he is a published author. My question is do we retain a degree of respect for his work, or will his name forever be stained.

The same question can be asked of any author, actor or musician who faces the same accusation. Does their work, once repsected and on everyones book shelf or CD rack get read, played or discussed, or does it get lost forever?

Would Tao of Jeet Kune Do still get quoted today if Bruce Lee was to be the accused, or would we still post videos of Geoff Thompson if it were him?

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

An interesting question.
    Technically his prior work shouldn't be affected as , i suspect , his research and his crimes aren't directly related , however , nobody would want to associate themselves with a convicted paedophile.
    As such no one is going to quote any of his research from now on , and i imagine anyone who owns one of his books will quietly move them somewhere less conspicuous .

14. Simon

The reason I posted the question was to find opinions on the value of the work, rather than the value of the man.
    If for example you are a college lecturer and quote an important piece of work by a ground breaking pioneer, do you feel you have to omit that work if the ground breaking pioneer is found to have commited a heinous crime? The crime carried out in that persons private life does surely not detract from the brilliance of their findings in their chosen field. You are not guilty by association just by quoting their work.
    For clarity I am unsure of my own feeling towards this.

If in a years time I post a Harry Cook theory in reply to a newby's question, should I get a different reply to a post made last year when we were ignorant of the accusations?

A difficult question to answer subjectively I suspect.

15. bassai

That's pretty much how i feel

The problem is that someone would immediately answer with something along the lines of "how dare you use that paedo as reference !" thus poisoning any future conversation

To be sure

16. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

An interesting question.

I can think of another prominent/respected Karate Instructor who has done jail time for a different type of offence. While I am perhaps more careful round this person, it has not stopped me from having respect for their contribution to the martial arts.

I can think of yet another Karate writer who has made a valuable contribution to the available literature, and whose work I cite. I have friends whom this person has treated very badly, though not broken any laws, and as a result I will not work with this individual, however it will not stop me as a professional writer citing their works.

With regard to Mr Cook, the events described at the start of this thread mean that I would not recommend him as an individual with whom to have personal contact. It does not detract from the value of his research when as a writer/historian I am citing sources of information. Until better sources of the same information become readily available then as a professional I must continue to cite his work. This does raise the moral dilemma of potentially raising income for him. The only alternative is in future to cite his work as referenced in my last book, so that it is my work that people turn to and purchase in order to see the information (with him listed there as the source).

17. Simon

Thanks jwt and bassai, sensible answers to a delicate subject.

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes it is - and it is one of those constant questions. I find it very hard to watch "The Naked Gun" and see OJ Simpson in it.

And closer to my passions I am a big fan of Chris Benoits body of work right back from his Stampede days. That his actions at the end were reprehensible does not stop his matches being artful, but what really sends chills is when you realise that it was those same matches that contributed toward his descent into murderous criminality. WWE for one sanitised all his matches and effectively erased him from the book

With Cook it is trickier because he has done a solid body of work that has legitimate and necessary contributions to the martial arts world. It is "ad hominem" to discount the work, but because his crimes leave a bad taste in our mouths we are torn.

Had he committed a bank heist would we have the same quandry toward his work?

Tricky to get your head around really

19. bassai

Again a valid question , i don't think there would be such a violent backlash to a bank heist , again depending on whether anyone was harmed in the raid.
    At the end of the day Cook committed pretty much the ultimate crime , and peoples reactions reflect this.

20. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I cant listen to Gary Glitters music anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.