Hard to find information on silat

Discussion in 'Silat' started by 8limbs38112, Oct 16, 2013.

1. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

Hello. I am interested in either learning Pencak Silat or Muay Thai. I am especially interested in Pencak Silat because of the culture behind it and I think it may focus more on technique rather than strength and conditioning (I may be wrong) I have been searching for an answer to this question all over the internet, but couldn't find it anywhere. Which art will make you be able to fight with confidence the quickest. I heard Muay Thai takes about 6 months before you will be fighting with confidence in your skills. However there are some arts that take a long time before you can actually apply it in real life. Some many years. Which is quicker muay thai or silat and how long will you generally have to train in silat before you are a good fighter that can handle yourself in the streets with confidence. Honestly, if it takes too long maybe I will learn silat after I have mastered Muay Thai and Judo. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

2. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

If you are looking for any information on silat or kuntao, recommend you go and register for silat.tv.. it is a forum with different silat and kuntao systems with practitioners from all over the globe.. but as far as how long it takes you to learn a specific art for self defense purposes, it depends on the way the teacher conducts his training.. It also depends on how long and how intense you do your own training. After all, its the individual who makes the system work for him, not the system working to make the individual a better practitioner.

3. 8limbs38112

I just registered. Thanks.

4. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Silat tends to be a generic term like Karate. There are lots of different systems of Silat out there and they utilize different concepts, weapons, etc.

My advice is to avoid Silat.tv entirely as it tends to be argumentative and ridiculous at times. Go look at different videos on youtube. You can see Javanese, Sumatran, and Malaysian Silat in motion. You will be able to judge what might be better based on how you move, the shape your in, etc.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If your aim is to develop combative ability and well placed confidence quickly then it's hard to go wrong with Muay Thai and Judo. You'll also find more consistency across clubs.
    Silat is a fascinating system but as with all TMA it's a journey. If you do Muay Thai and Judo for a couple of years and then start up Silat you'll likely do well. Alternatively if you can find a decent Inosanto JKD school that does Muay Thai/STX, CSW and Silat classes then you'll be onto a winner.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

That being said, the only silat I can find in Memphis is with the Dog Brothers, so probably worth a look.

7. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

How long it takes to be proficient in Silat depends a lot on the system you train.
    Some systems have a lot of focus on learning the formal curriculum and areas like seni (the artform and cultural aspects). Other, often pukulan based systems have more focus on training effectiveness. There learning how to hit is very important, which i think is probably one of the most important parts of the beginning stages. All the fancy locking, throwing, sweeping and other stuff are important but more in a later stage.
    Remember often being able to produce a decent hit can be enough to stop a fight, apart from avoiding one.

8. 8limbs38112

Thanks. I think the silat dojo is downtown in my city. I might check it out although I know parking will be a problem [mrhiggins, please review MAP's policy on masked profanity]. I have no idea what kind of silat they teach though. I'll look it up and get back with you.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2013
  9. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

As somewhat said on your other thread, the quickest is not going to serve you

Whatever you learn, the instructor isn't going to hand over a "Muay Thai/Silat for Dummies" book.
    In other words, there will not be easy or quick method

In other words, there aren't any shortcuts and a qualified instructor isnt going to have you ready in such a short time.

Its takes some time before abilities can be put to use.

The main ability, is how one can deal/avoid conflict.

As said, how long it takes depends on two factors: Learning ability and instructor's ability

Looking for short cuts is like people asking how long or how soon can they get a black belt

Technique, strength, conditioning go together. Without one or another, you may as well play video fight games

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  10. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

One thing that is quite different between Muay Thai and Silat is that Silat often is more seen as a journey.

You don't take up Silat to be able to fight within 6 months. If that is what you want better pick up Muay Thai then.
    Then again you talk about 'mastering a style' and then i am old school and don't believe in stories like 'mastering Muay Thai and Judo and then move on to Silat'. Mastering a style is something quite different then being able to beat your average John Doe on the street. That, seriously, takes a lifetime to achieve.

11. nasigoreng

nasigoreng Valued Member

It's worth considering that muay thai and pencak silat are different species of martial art:
    muay thai is a ring sport, designed to fight one person for 3-5 minute rounds -- it's about developing stamina and conditioning the body to take punishment: you expect to get hit.

pencak silat is more oriented towards self defense, with kicks to the groin, eye jabs, and defense against edged weapons where getting hit is not acceptable.

12. pakarilusi

pakarilusi Valued Member

If your worry is unarmed combat, that is fisticuffs, do the ring sports. I suggest MMA.

HOWEVER, if your worry is an armed assault, train a lifetime in Silat and hope you never have to really use it.

Or do both. It's like the difference between learning boxing and fencing. Neither is better, yet both are good. Imho of course... :)

13. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

With all the drama on silat.tv recently, I retract my statement about going there to as a referral on information.. As long as you don't get involved with the playground antics with some of the players, it is a good place for getting a few laughs just by sitting in the chat room with a cold one and a bowl of popcorn

14. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

yes silat.tv has gotten quite unstable lately so that might give the wrong idea on Silat, especially Bukti Negara or Serak. Don't get discouraged by it, there is some good stuff out there....also unarmed by the way.

15. 8limbs38112

how did I use masked profanity???

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We try to promote MAP as family friendly and as such don't allow profanity or masked profanity.

The masked profanity that was removed was in relation to how you described parking restrictions.

I hope that explains things a little more.

4.1 Profanity:
    While we understand that most of our members are grown adults, we do also have young adults and children that visit MAP. Further, many people are offended by vulgar language. If you feel you must swear to get your point across, then please do it elsewhere.
    4.1.1 This includes attempts to disguise profanity by using *s to mask letters or by the use of acronyms and abbreviations.

17. taoizt

taoizt Valued Member

Hehe this site is the exact opposite to Silat.tv. Where Silat.tv has little to no moderation and profanities are all over the place, this forum perhaps is going at it too strict.

Ah well better too strict than too loose in this case.

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Exactly. We're targeting a broad audience. I think it's the moderators' view that being strict on profanity leaves us accessible to a broader audience than would leaving the floodgates open. It's as simple as that really.

By the by, the masked profanity used in this case symbolized a term that I think we'd all agree is inappropriate to a general audience. I obviously can't cite it specifically without rebreaking the policy. So I suppose you're going to have to trust your Topic Mod (i.e., me).