Hard to find cooking ingredients ... the list is getting smaller!

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Rebo Paing, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Mas Tris, can you get tempe in US?
    Bobster, Steve, Gajah, Suleiman, Pekir ... have you tried tempe goreng, or sambal goreng tempe?
    Salam
    Krisno
    Salam mas Krisno,
    GS is a lucky man, indeed :)
    No I have never made any tempe goreng, recently I have met alots of Indonesian in Bridgetown, NJ. Some of the lady try to open a warung with Indonesian food specialty. She is from Bandung. I try some, Oh my Gawd! it was beyond the word of delicious, I was amazed how good it was. I have asked my friend to cook friedrice and fried chicken dishes for my wedding. I'm going to marry an Irish American girl. Therefore, we will have an Irish step dancing in the reception. But not to be out do, I'm inviting and Indonesian dancer from the Embassy in Washington. Now they can see how smooth the Indonesian are :)
    Tristan

2. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

You got me there! I don't know panu :confused: Will have to ask the missus :rolleyes:

We made some rempeyek kacang a while back & last week we had gado-gado with proper lontongs :)

My mother-in-law still doesn't believe we can get Indonesian ingredients in the UK and is worried that her daughter only eats 'too much meat with boiled potatos & carrots' the same as bule do :D

3. Kiai Carita

Kiai Carita Banned Banned

Your Wedding and my Wayang

Salam hormat Mas Tristan,

Please don't kelid away from the fact that you are a 'sesepuh' in global silat :D :D :D So why not have some kembangan or jaipongan for your wedding? Being a pre 1970's Indonesian you might not be familiar with jaipongan so let me pretend to be clever and explain:

Jaipongan became as popular as disco in the 80's and is based on Sunda silat movements...it is a social dance, man and woman in a pair and like line dancing or disco, all can join in. Just explain the concept to any Cimande Pusaka practitioner and let them show the way a bit and all your guests can join in! Ah! If only you were in London, the Sekar Gedhogan Community Gamelan Orchestra and I would perform a wayang kulit for you.

Werkudara Rabi might be the appropriate lakon don't you think? As a dhalang I would suggest that you are a Werkudara type who never speaks high Jawanese except to Dewa Ruci, your private God. Werkudara is strong and bam-bam-bam just like you. Tall and dark, just like you too.

There would be alot of silat in the sabetan of the wayang's, as you know Werkudara is the literary originator of the Kerambit along with batara Bayu and Anoman. Arimbi falls in love with Werkudara because he is so strong and nimble and noble while he clears the jungle to build the kingdom Indraprasta where justice and prosperity will reign. Her brothers don't like it and fight Werkudara but unfortunately get killed. Arimbi is an orge but because of her love for Werkudara she becomes human. She then gives birth to Gatotkaca, the beloved tragic Superman of wayang kulit who wears a star on his chest.

I will be performing on friday 8 September in Camden and will be thinking of you, Kakangmas Tristan. I won't be playing Werkudara Rabi, I will be playing Wisanggeni Gugat.. where The Venom Of Fire demands the Truth...Wisanggeni son of Arjuna and Dersanala grandson of Brahma is condemnd to death by Durga because Durga's youngest son, Dewasrani (the God of the Nazarenes), wants to replace Arjuna as the hero of Jawa but only Dersanala's husband might have that position. Dersanala married Arjuna when Arjuna saved Heaven from the attack of the demon Niwatakawaca, and became - to the dismay of Dewasrani- pregnant with Wisanggeni. This very jawa story has Wisanggeni attacking heaven and fighting with all the gods to find out who he really is... Indra, Brahma, Wisnu, Guru....all get badly beaten up with sapuan and bantingan and puter kepala.

Hope to be in Jakarta in February when you plan to be there. I will sowan (visit an elder) to you of course. Your short time there is yours and your family's. Where are you in Kebayoran? I know Kebayoran well, having been to SMP XII in Jl Wijaya.

BTW, did you know there has been an other silat war back home in Bojonegoro? A village where Kera Sakti was prominent was attacked by Setia Hati Terate students and tawuran (mass fight) news was made. Read media Indonesia Online 9 August 2006. What happens between Sanders' people and me on this forum is not fighting at all compared to what happens back home.

I appologize if I have been lancang, speaking out of my place.

Salam hormat to calon Ibu Tristan too,
    Bram

4. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

Salam Mas Bram,
    WOW! If only you are close to me...That would be nice indeed. Thank you for the thought. I hope to see you in February next year. My parent's house is in bock P, Kebayoran Baru.
    I remember kembangan too :) My friend Wona Sumantri will do kembangan in the wedding. I have not seen wayang kulit for a long times. The last time I saw it is in 1968.
    Again matur suwun Mas Bram,
    Tristan

5. rizal

rizal Valued Member

@kembang alas
    hahaha, many people do.
    You can blame my mother for that. My mom loves fruits and it is her dream to have a backyard large enough to plant fruit trees. So when she finally bought our current house, she plant durian and other fruits.
    It is only a single tree but it is now about tree stories high. Still have the problem of bearing fruit in a regular basis though. it is 9-10 years old and only bear fruit twice...but what a fruit it was!

6. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Imagine if Isaac Newton had a durian fall on head ... instead of apple!

Off topic, but ... I just realise why it was an Englishman (Sir Isaac Newton) who defined gravity and not an Asian ... apples would hurt enough, could you all imagine a durian falling on head? :eek:

Salam

7. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Apparently, many Asians realised the the concept of gravity due to coconuts falling on their heads. Unfortunately none lived to pass on this knowledge :p

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Ah, durain. A flavor and texture like the best onion sherbet. A smell that can drop buzzards out of the air at half a mile.

9. Rebo Paing

LOL Gajah, a falling coconut would be lethal!

Tellner, I take it that you've not taken the first step with durian. Once you have eaten it (not just a taste) your senses should tell you that it is no longer onion sherbet but a divine heady creamy delight, most definitly the nectar of the gods!
    Hehe ... as for me, I can't understand how it's possibe for people to equate the scent to the smell of something off.

Salam

10. rizal

rizal Valued Member

a friend of mine in japan, 'sabotage' his classmates by bringing a box of dodol durian to his lab.
    being the inquisitive types, 6 out of 10 opted to try one.

One say he likes it
    Two complained that the 'fragrance' and taste cannot be washed even with two cups of black coffee
    the rest (including those who didn't eat) complain about the smell in the lab (first they thought an ammonia leak before realizing the true culprit).

11. tellner

tellner Valued Member

A friend of mine got ticked off at his roomate and decided to do something passively aggressive about it. He mashed up about half a pound of durian and rubbed it on the vanes of the baseboard heater just before he moved out.

12. Rebo Paing

I would do that only for someone I cared deeply for ... but aaahh, what a waste!

Salam

13. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

All this talk about eating makes me think about diet, more specifically diet in relation to Silat. I’m wondering in Indonesia are there recommended diets whilst training and what types of foods are recommended or should be restricted?

I mean according to traditional Indonesian thought, I already know what westerners would recommend ;)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2006