hard or soft?

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by gutshot, Aug 20, 2003.

1. gutshot

gutshot New Member

what do you guys prefer when sparring,
    someone who will punch you in the face each time you let your gaurd down or someone who will just pull the punch away before contact?

I trained a lot with the softies for my first 4 lessons, but my last lesson i was sparring with this guy who would punch me in the face each time i let down my guard even an inch.

now my nose hurts, but still i prefer it. When i sparred with the soft guys i wasnt learning as much cause i didnt have to. when the guy was actuall punching me i suddenly paid waaaay more attention to my defenses...

your thoughts?

I commented on this to my mom when she picked me up from training and she was like oh my! is your nose ok...

heh

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

Personally i don't mind either way i do think you can learn both ways if you are smart enough to realise what can happen if someone follows through with soft contact

3. stump

stump Supersub

a bit of both. If you don't get hit properly you'll never learn. But you can spar with heavy contact and do no damage normally. YOu don't learn much if you're sparring in fear of your life!!!

Use the differnt levels to work differnet thingas....light contact to try new stuff so as you can make mistakes.

Harder contact so you can try it relatievely realistically and full out occasionally so you know where you really stand

4. gutshot

gutshot New Member

yeah. i mean this guy wasnt punching hard enough to really hurt me, but enough for it to get very tiring after a few hits. the other guys would just sort of tap me.

5. stump

stump Supersub

often you'll have to adjust the focus of your sparring to your sparring partner. pick something you need to work on and focus on that when you're sparring these people.

Just try and ensure you get both types of sparring in

6. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

i like full contact it makes me try to think how do i hurt him before he hurts me.

7. wayofthedragon

wayofthedragon The Defender

It all depends on them to me. If they wanna hit in the face though, they better make sure they're gaurd is perfect:D
    I could learn either way though. Although I'm sure hard would **** me off a little more

8. mig29

mig29 New Member

In Kyokushin Karate, Mas Oyama said it was important to fight at full contact level in order to get stronger and develop the technique. He gave us a example of how the great ronin "Musashi" learned and developed his style fighting in real life or death matches against various enemies. Still I really think we should develop the art without getting hurt, because it can get you out of the trainings for quite sometime when you broke something. So it´s important try to focus on the combat even if it´s not for real, and let the experience in real fights come from the "battlefield"

9. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I like some contact during sparring, just to keep it realistic. I don't mind if i actually get jabbed in the face. It keeps me on my toes.
    It also depends on your partner. If you work together all the time, you know each others limits. Allowing you to throw faster punches and harder. Along with harder kicks without actually hurting each other.