Hapkido Safety in Your Dojang

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Hapkido Student, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Hapkido Student

Hapkido Student New Member

Ok welll i been in hapkido for some time now and i was kinda wonrdering how safe it is because about 2 weeks ago my friend broke his ankle while sparring off with one of the other students can some1 please fill me in on how the enviorment should be in order to be concidered safe...Id appreciate it thanks in advance :cool:

2. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

I didn't even know that you spar in Hapkido?

I know you have to throw people around and everything for practicing, but I didn't actually know your suppose to spar.

3. MaxG

MaxG Valued Member

Was it when they went to the ground and someone did an ankle lock too hard or someone was being macho and didn't tap? I can see it happening that way . Another way could be it was a kick defense and the receiver didn't use caution or the kicker just had bad technique and didn't have his foot in the right position. There are lots of possibilites to how this type of injury could happen.

Sparring can be done with certain techniques but not all. Small digit techniques for example couldn't be done in a sparring situation without common injuries. But since hapkido is comprised of strikes/kicks as well as other types of locks quite a few of those can be used in a sparring context with a certain degree of safety.

4. Coges

Coges Valued Member

A couple of months ago one of the guys at our dojang dislocated his elbow when doing a routine technique. He went one way, the other guy went the other way and the elbow went a third way.

Over time I think that injuries in MA are unavoidable. The nature of what we practice means that there will be a certain degree uncertainty when it comes to safe practices.

Having said that, there still have to be rules in place to make the dojang as safe as it can be. Things like the rate at which techniques or sparring are done (which will obviously change with experience), proper equipment (bags, matting) being used and probably most important is to exercise common sense.

5. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Also another point is that sparring can effectively be used to better timing and distance with out too much emphasis placed on locks. Maybe almose inn a TKD kind of way. Works quite well.

6. American HKD

American HKD New Member

Greetings,

We always trained safely but hard at times.

I have several permenant injuries and have seen many accidents only one on purpose.

But all these things did actually happen to me or people in my school over the past 26years

Broken fingers and toes
    Broken Ankles
    Tendon damage
    Knocked out tooth
    Joint hyper-extensions
    Dislocations
    cracked ribs
    sprains
    Groin pulls
    Testicle contusions

7. Hapkido Student

Thanks everyone

Ok in my hapkido class we spar but no contact but this was when we all sat down along the side of the dojang floor mats and my master picked two guys to spar as in grappling and throw techniques and they were both same belt they were both about 59 275 pounds and the one guy grabbed the others arms to start off the grapple and he put his foot behind the other guys foot to try and sweep him and the other guy reversed and it went the opposite way thus fracturing the ankle

8. Hapkido Student

Sorry to double post but

sorry to double post but when i say 59 i dont mean age i mean height 5'9

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Some accidents just happen, theres no way to accident proof a school.

10. Hapkido Student

kwajman

that is very true kwajman

11. Joehkd

Joehkd New Member

Accidents can happen in Hapkido with not a dought :eek: But it is up to the instructor and the students to know when a technique is to hard that some one can get hurt. In my Dojang I’m always demanding safety first. I will stop any student that is doing to hard techniques or even if he is trying to fight the technique to test how effective it can be. But it is up to me to train everyone and let them know to who they can play with that has the proper training to avoid any injuries.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  12. Hapkido Student

that is an excellent answer will u ..

have a look at one of my posts about starting your own dojang thank you in advance

13. hapkidofighter

hapkidofighter Valued Member

a second dan at my dojang was telling me about how when he started back in the day- when he was a white belt, two people broke there necks! crazy- now my dojang is way safer, and very structured. while ive been training people have broken noses, a broken elbow, broken fingers/toes, broken feet/ankles, and ribs. I havnt really had any bad injuries yet. one of out tenets is accidents come out of idleness and i really belive that.

14. Hapkido Student

To Hapkido fighter

That is very true hapkido fighter thanks for your input on this topic I really appreciate it. Thats one thing I was a little worried about was breaking my neck and being paralized because of a accident. What are the chance of that happening? :)