Hanwei Federschwert

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Polar Bear, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  2. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

They are apparently somewhat fragile. Some have had them break within months, and the edges aren't that resilient. The design is promising, though. Hopefully once they've worked out the design flaws they'll be great. I have a Hanwei rapier simulator that's given me excellent service.

-Mark

3. RAbid Hamster

RAbid Hamster Herr Trubelmacher

its not really a 'sword' though ... its what the guild 'sports' fencers of the late 16th/17th century(ish) used to ensure they didn't need a trip to the apothecary after training.
    The hanwei design is wrong at the ricasso resulting in it being brittle and as Langenschwert says they are a tad soft.

You want pretty ... this is a bit more expensive but ... this one just makes me dribble as swordy art!
    albion's meyer sparring sword

As a purist I give a nod to training weapons ... then run right back to my 51" b@stard sword beast! :love:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2007
  4. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

OK that clears that up. Mans gotta ask to find out.

Cheers Guys,
    The Bear.

5. RAbid Hamster

Bear
    the Japanese have virtually had 3 swords their entire history. Carefully culturing, cultivating and modifying them till (like a bonsai) they were perfect for their role.

Europe on the other hand would develop 3 different sword designs over lunch ... for a laugh and discard them just as fast! :D

6. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

There does appear to be one in the Von Danzig manuscript, held in "Liechtenauer's" hand, and IIRC in Talhoffer and Wallerstein as well. They don't apprear to be quite the same, though.

I plan on getting the Liechtenauer, I.33 and whatever the messer is called when I get the $$ together. :) I have two Albion sharps and love them dearly.

:eek:

Best regards,

-Mark

7. RAbid Hamster

the Liechtenauer has really nice lines.

My b@stard was made by a guy called Tim Noyes. top bloke. It has side rings, scent stopper pommel...
    http://heronarmoury.co.uk/index.php?page=swords/m
    closest to mine is sword II on the above page although mine is much bigger :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2007
  8. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

LANGUAGE GEORGE!!!! :ban:
    Not everyone knows your talking about a B'stard sword ;)

I'm beginning to 'enjoy' my new Hanwei practical hand & a half (see pic)- despite it being light, a bit short and wobbly, I like the big pommel design as it's a great guide to holding the sword edge on, (especially with lacrosse gloves) unlike the smaller pommels where as a beginner you have to keep glancing at the blade to make sure it's in the right position! :confused:

Louie

Attached Files:

9. RAbid Hamster

sorry louie
    I'll watch my $!&*=@£ language next time :Angel:

geo

10. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Indeed. I really like wheel pommels for that reason. You'll likely find that your zwerchauen have better alignment using a wheel pommel. After a while it doesn't matter what kind of pommel you use, but having a wheel pommel made a difference with me.

Best regards,

-Mark

11. RAbid Hamster

ok louie
    exam on sunday regarding your zwerchhau's and your schielhau's. :D

12. RAbid Hamster

Seems others have been talking about the federschwert

federschwert reviews

starts out very positive and then goes a bit down hill as the swords get a good workout.