Hanging And Keeping A Heavy Bag

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by JesusIsTheBest, Jul 22, 2020.

1. JesusIsTheBest

JesusIsTheBest New Member

I recently got a stand for heavy bags and Im hanging a 50 LB bag on it right now, the bag is attached by a spring and the purpose of the spring is to absorb some of the impact when the bag is struck as well as some of the weight of the bag so there is less stress on the straps that the bag hangs from. From my experience in the past, the straps are the first things to break when you hang a bag.

So the spring is supposed to help prevent the straps from breaking and this is the first time I've used a spring. Im wondering if it would be a good idea to only hang the bag when Im using it for a workout, if I should take the bag down after every workout, or if I should just leave it hanging even when Im not using it. I do eventually plan on getting other bags of different weights but for now Im just starting out with the 50 LB bag. Advice?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I have my 6ft Thai bag (no idea what it weighs) on a spring too and it's always hung up. I use the spring so hitting the bag transfers less energy to the mount and ultimately the wall the mount is on. The spring, as far as I can see, hasn't lost any tension over the years. Bag still hangs the same height over the floor. If the spring is a good one I don't see any problems with it hanging all the time.

3. Grond

Grond Valued Member

I actually like to take my heavy bag off and use it for weighted squats and other fun training (over the shoulder carries, lifts). Obviously this is easier for some folks if they only have 50 pounder, but if you're able, a 75 or 100 lb bag you can carry for training is a godsend especially if your gym is closed (as mine has been for a long time now).

If you're like me and you don't have a great weight set at home, a heavy bag transforms into a heavy medicine bag that you can tire yourself out all day long just lugging around. Put another way, leaving all that delicious weight hanging in a corner is like putting Baby in the corner. Nobody puts Baby in the corner! :D

4. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I've never seen springs used in any gym I've gone to. Never seen a mount come off from use either. If it's a decent heavy bag you shouldn't have much issue with the straps. This really depends on the quality of the stitching and the bag material. Not really something I've ever had the need to worry about anyway.

What sort of springs are you using?

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I've got a spring on mine because I live in a semi-detached house and my bag is attached to a wall. Granted I hate my neighbours and it's a wall furthest from their house as it can be but I'm mindful of the vibrations and sounds transferring over.
    Mine's a bit like this...

[​IMG]

6. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Hmm, never thought about the vibrations and sound bit. Might see if a spring makes a difference in relation to that. My heavy bag is on chains though so may still be noisy. :)

7. JesusIsTheBest

I've had problems in the past with the straps on the bags breaking as that can happen from lots of use, from my experience. They do make springs that are supposed to absorb the shock so its less hard on the straps, I got my spring at Asian World of Martial Arts and it looks like the spring that Smitfire posted a picture of.

8. JesusIsTheBest

So right now I've got the 50 LB tear dropped bag by ProForce hanging from by bag stand with the spring. I also got a canvas bag that I sent away for which just arrived in the mail. The canvas bag comes unfilled but depending on what you fill it with, you can make it really heavy. For instance, if you fill it with sand that will add lots of pounds. I do intend to fill much of the bag with sand as that not only makes the bag heavier, it also makes it harder so its better for toughening up your striking weapons when you hit it. The spring can support up to 300 pounds so weight should not be a problem.

9. john_newman

john_newman New Member

Yes, the spring help to less stress on the straps. I've got the 70 LB bag and thinking to lift heavier.

10. JesusIsTheBest

So I just finished hanging a really heavy canvas bag. The spring Im using to support it can hold up to 300 LB bags, the bag I put up weights over 200 LBS. It was hard work putting it up but I finally got it up. Should be lots of fun.

aaradia and Mitch like this.